Cleaning Ferrari Leather | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Cleaning Ferrari Leather

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by charliem561, Jan 18, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. agrun

agrun Formula Junior

May 24, 2009
    FLA
    And what is recommended for rubber knobs and buttons on dash and reverse gear to keep the rubber from breaking down. Mine are starting to do that

2. Todd Helme

Todd Helme Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2007
    Oviedo Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd Helme
    As much as Ferrari marketing and hopeful dreams tell us that Ferrari uses some type of special leather that requires specific treatments...they don't....

All new cars, including Ferrari's, use coated leathers... There are two primary types of coated leathers - pigmented and semi-aniline.

Pigmented leathers feature a raw hide that a colored coating is sprayed on top. This is the most common leather found in a lot of cars (even a lot of "high end" cars) because the color coating fills in imperfections (scars/mosquito bites/wounds) and it is also the most durable.

Semi-aniline leathers have leather that is vat dyed through the hide, and either a clear or colored coating is applied on top. Because the leather itself is died, the coatings on these leathers tend to be thinner and have a more natural feel. High-end, semi-aniline leathers often use a clear, thin coating that gives leather a maximum "leather-like feel" and requires carefully chosen hides (nothing to hide imperfections in the leather).

For both of these styles of leather, I would recommend Leather Master's brand products.

3. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    so which leather is on the Ferrari ?

4. Todd Helme

Todd Helme Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2007
    Oviedo Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd Helme
    Depends on the year, make, model and location...

From what I can tell, almost all leather-wrapped steering wheels are semi-aniline...

The seat bolsters on a 360 are definitely pigmented (you will notice the gray, raw hide underneath if they crack), but the seat backs (at least on the Daytona seats) appear to be semi-aniline.

Keep in mind that the quality of pigmented or semi-aniline leathers can vary wildly depending on the manufacturer and where the leather was sourced... Just like all beef comes from a cow, but there is a big difference between filet and chuck...

It seems, like most manufacturers, that Ferrari combines the leathers to offer the best compromise between feel and performance.

5. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    What would you use on the dash of a 2012 F 458, Black dash. Right now just small dust particles etc.
    Thanks,
    John

6. mobinakhtar

mobinakhtar Karting

Jan 28, 2015
    I have used a product called "Leather CPR" on extremely high-end exotic leather purses and to clean jeans marks off of untreated gray leather in a car.

According to the manufacturer "Leather CPR Cleaner & Conditioner cleans and conditions in one easy step with no greasy residue. Simply wipe it on, and Leather CPR safely melts away dirt and grime in seconds. Unlike other products, Leather CPR is safe to use on glove soft and exotic leathers. Use on furniture, car seats, clothes, purses, shoes and much more. Leather CPR is dermatologist tested, so it will not irritate your skin."

I originally got it from Costco where there was a guy demonstrating it. Not expensive at all - $26 for two bottles. The consistency is like hand-lotion and makes leather moist and soft. Also brings a low shine like factory.

Armor-All will be the biggest loser here. My Maserati front seats lost maybe one shade of their exotic camel beige ( became lighter) because someone repeatedly used Armor-all on front seats before I purchased it. I'll see if I can dig out the pic and you can see the color difference)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Below see the difference between front and the rear seats

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    Thanks. Someone told me at Euro Fest to use Griots leather care on the Dash.

8. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
  9. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I don't care if it's overkill. Leatherique only. Nothing else compares. I use it on my leather furniture as well with phenomenal results.

10. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    another vote for zymol. ive used all the ones that start with L and zymol is my favorite.

11. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    zaino leather product is pretty good too

12. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I think Leatherique is the best conditioner. Pristine clean is good. But, for deep cleaing I found Chemical Guys to be the best cleaner but I always follow up with Leatherique after.

13. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I have a giant bottle of prestine clean and have tried it a few times. I don't even think it's necessary. If you really lay on the leatherique thick, let it sit and wipe it later, supple leather comes completely clean. It can take a year or two restoring dry leather to where the pours open up, but once supple the conditioner alone seems to do fine by itself. Just the way I do it anyway.

14. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Bob - I've got a gallon of each - love the stuff. But, for really dirty leather, chemical guys worked better for me as a cleaner.

Here is a video from a few years back:

15. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I have the same steam cleaner :) Leatherique by the gallon, never seen that. Hard core :D I have 1.5 quarts on hand for three cars and the furniture. I often don't even remove the leatherique, at least not for weeks. I find heavy applications can complete soak in under the right conditions, go away on vacation for a couple weeks and leave the car in a hot garage for instance. The long I wait to wipe, seems like the cleaner it comes.

I need to look at the Chemical Guys stuff. I have a few stubborn spots on my 911. Previous owner didn't know what he was doing, so the shifter, door handles, emergency brake all have some deep dirt that's taking a while to come out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using FerrariChat.com mobile app

16. TommyTheV

TommyTheV Karting

Sep 17, 2022
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Tommy T.
    Hi,

This is an old thread but has anyone used this for their car?

Attached Files: