Cast Aluminum Spider top parts | FerrariChat

Cast Aluminum Spider top parts

Discussion in '360/430' started by Crazyfcar, Oct 16, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Crazyfcar

Crazyfcar Rookie

Sep 21, 2017
    Full Name:
    James Candelmo
    Does anyone know the technical specs on the aluminum used for the cast aluminum parts on the spider top. I'm going to attempt to tig weld repair some them and need as much info about the material as possible.

Type of aluminum ? Heat treat ? Anything helps.

Thanks, Jim

2. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    If the section near the A pillar has cracked, which I assume you are referring to because it is not uncommon for it to happen thete, it is reportedly magnesium.

3. Crazyfcar

Crazyfcar Rookie

Sep 21, 2017
    Full Name:
    James Candelmo
    Yes, it is the part closest to the A pillar but I've tested them and they are not magnesium, they are cast aluminum. The question now is what type as cast can be a crap shoot.

4. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    That's good to know. I'll guess something in the 4xx.x series range with a high silicon content - probably up towards 40%

5. Crazyfcar

Crazyfcar Rookie

Sep 21, 2017
    Full Name:
    James Candelmo
    Any idea where I could find exactly what it is or would Ferrari not divulge this info ? The strength of the repair depends on the accuracy of knowing exactly what material I'm welding. If it's 4xxx material, it would be good and wouldn't have been heat treated. The more info I have, the better.

6. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I'm sorry, but I don't think the information will be in the public domain. My estimate was based on it being an alloy suitable for mass production of those cast parts, and also having suffered the same failure and experiencing the relatively low strength of the part.