Carbonio 599 & 612 Extended Carbon Fiber Shift Paddles Are Here! | FerrariChat

Carbonio 599 & 612 Extended Carbon Fiber Shift Paddles Are Here!

Discussion in '612/599' started by Carbonio, Oct 3, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Carbonio

Carbonio Formula 3

Dec 1, 2009
    Carbonio is proud to announce their extended carbon fiber shift paddles for all models of Ferrari 599 and 612. Those familiar with the ones we offer for the other models know that they totally transform the driving experience making shifts on both the road and track easier and with greater flexibility and precision. Once you try them you can never go back to stock.

This is NOT a track only modification. The real benefits are seen in day to day driving where shifts are infinitely more practical.

See many more photos and full information at our website with a video showing their advantages:

599 link: Carbonio 599 Shift Paddles

612 link: Carbonio 612 Shift Paddles

Fits ALL models of 599 and 612 and installs in minutes with included tools. 100% reversible and universally loved. We are a long time F-Chat sponsor and trusted OEM supplier. Buy with confidence from a fellow group of Ferrari fanatics.

We currently have limited stock ready to ship and we do send packages to anywhere in the world.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

George Vosburgh likes this.
  2. Carbonio

Carbonio Formula 3

Dec 1, 2009
    For those of you who love to drive extended paddles are a total MUST HAVE. Try them out and if you are not thrilled with them we'll pay to have them shipped back.

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I have had Carbonio's extended paddles on my 575M for several years, and would be hard pressed to drive without them now. A really easy to do mod that makes a huge difference in driving ease. You can even downshift while using the turn signal lever.

George Vosburgh likes this.
  4. odf911

odf911 Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2013
    London UK (Chelsea)
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Agree with the advantages. The swap takes more than a few minutes though! The steering wheels has to come off and Ferrari recommends to replace all nuts and screws to new. You also need to torque the main nuts correctly according to Ferrari specs ... i would say probably 30-45 mins in total with the right tools.

5. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    The steering wheel does NOT need to come off. It is admittedly much easier to install the paddles if the steering wheel is off but by no means is it necessary. As for the screws I'm not sure where Ferrari gets off saying they need to be replaced and torqued to spec. The factory screws are steel and they thread into aluminum. They are nowhere near a torque to yield fastener nor could they reasonably be torqued to a damaging level without stripping the aluminum first. In reality replacement screws cost nothing but I do get annoyed when a manufacturer makes baseless claims which in the end only mislead the customer.

6. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Olivier- I installed my own and all that is required is removal of 4 screws and cone washers and reinstallation. The steering wheel is turned to unmask the screws holding the paddles. As long as you are careful and do not drop the cone washers, the whole thing takes less than 15 minutes.

7. odf911

odf911 Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2013
    London UK (Chelsea)
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Hi Taz, was it for your 575? I did it for my 599 and it was definitely not possible without removing the steering wheel ...

8. odf911

odf911 Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2013
    London UK (Chelsea)
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Hi
    there just trying to help. When I replaced my aluminum paddle shifts with CF ones on my 599, unless I did it completely wrong, I had to remove the SW as only one of the 2 screws became accessible while turning the SW. As to replacing the screws and bolts, this was written in the Ferrari maintenance manual as advisable if I remember correctly. The nit that had to be torqued correctly was the one that locks the SW which makes sense to me. I will check again and take pictures if that helps...

9. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Olivier- Yup, a 575M.

10. afwrench

afwrench Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I just installed the paddles on my 599. It took about 20 min. and the steering wheel did not have to come off.Turn the wheel to expose the bottom screws crack those loose first.Position the wheel to expose as much of the top screw as possible.Place the tool in the screw and then put a stiff credit card type material between the leather of the wheel and the tool.Push the leather back to expose as much of the screw as possible.Remove the screw and take off the stock paddle.Reverse to put the new one on. I would advise that you break all 4 screws loose as a first step to make sure you can get them all out. I had one that was stubborn.The paddles are great and a big improvement. Mike

11. Da Butcher

Da Butcher Karting

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jose Marie Alandy
    I received my recently ordered CF paddles from Carbonio last week and both the instructions and the labels stated "458" paddles. I called Carbonio and left a message. They later confirmed that the extended CF Challenge paddles for all 599's are one and the same design / PN as those for 458's.

Yesterday I also rotated my 599's steering wheel to full lock each way and only a half portion of the upper socket head screw was visible above the leather hub. I tried to push the hub down but still could not fully expose the screw's opening given the shank diameter of the installation tool provided. At best, the installation tool will have to be angled to engage the socket but the instructions warned against "rounding out the socket" opening when applying torque in an angled position. Given as-manufactured tolerance for design clearances between mated / adjacent components, some cars may allow better access whereas other cars may have tighter access.

I do have a set of metric elbow allen wrenches in my tool box and will try that next week, unless I can't apply enough rotational torque to unscrew (given the wrench's short length) without damaging its socket.

In my previous experiences. there's nothing as frustrating as mistakenly rounding out a socket screw then having to use other laborious tools to tap and unscrew it out. I wouldn't worry if this car wasn't a precious Ferrari whose parts and components are much more expensive to replace as compared to other EU, US or Japanese made cars.

12. afwrench

afwrench Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi Jose,I too had some reservations at first.Let me state that I was once a professional mechanic and have been pulling wrenches for 51 years.The ball end of the tool is designed to work at an angle.By placing a credit card or similar material between the tool and the leather and applying force towards the center of the wheel it will help to straighten the tool and you should be able to break the screw free. The card will not only displace and protect the leather but will force the tool against the internals of the screw.Be brave and forge ahead my friend. Best of luck,Mike

13. Da Butcher

Da Butcher Karting

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jose Marie Alandy
    Hello Mike, thanks for your encouragement. I might try your technique either Monday or Tuesday of this coming week and appraise you of the results.
    WOW, 51 years of pulling wrenches; that's a lot of experiences and know-how! The first time I tried to be a mechanic (or watchmaker as it may be) was circa 1957 (before I turned 6 yo) when I removed the dash clock from our '51 Oldsmobile to "fix it". Brave little tyke (or brat) that I was, I took it apart using a flat-head and Phillips screwdrivers without ever thinking "oh, you need to reassemble the clock, buddy" so I ended up with clock parts and we couldn't tell time on the road when riding that Olds for years. My father was a doctor/physician surgeon (and a very patient and forgiving man, thank goodness) so I was 'expected' to follow, but I instead graduated as a mechanical engineer (or grease monkey) recalling my penchant for things mechanical. I've also turned vintage hand wound or automatic wristwatches as a hobby and side business as a frustrated amateur watchmaker (darn, those watch parts are tiny compared to anything in my cars!).
    Happy wrenching! ;<)

14. afwrench

afwrench Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi Jose ,your post made me smile as my first mechanical failure was when I broke a clock my mother treasured.I was very young and was determined to find out how it worked! Many years later I am now on the downside of my second career as a Dentist.Very mecahnical and always working in a wet dark place.Alas I will always be a "wrench" at heart. BTW afwrench = Air Force Mechanic.Best of luck,Mike

15. Carbonio

Carbonio Formula 3

Dec 1, 2009
    Some great and fun discussion here and I'd like to chime in with some tips we picked up along the way to make paddle installation easier. On most Ferrari's getting to both paddle screws is super easy so no tips are necessary. On the 458, California, 599, 612, F12, and FF it is a little trickier to get to the upper screws. The access actually varies from car to car depending on the leather of the steering wheel. There are variations but we have never come across a car where the paddles cannot be installed in place. In some instances it looks absolutely impossible but rest assured that it can be done albeit with a little finesse. The following tips will greatly aid you:

1. Remove the bottom screw entirely first and then grab on to the shift paddle and move it along the arc of the steering wheel using the upper screw as your pivot point. The idea here is to use the paddle as a lever to mimic loosening the upper screw. This aids greatly in breaking free and 'grip' between the base of the screw head and the paddle.

2. Be sure to use the a piece of card like a business card to protect the steering wheel from touching the tool. Once a piece of card is inserted as per the instructions it is totally ok to REALLY push the tool against the steering wheel in order to achieve as square a fitment between the tool tip and the head of the screw. The straighter the tool is relative to the screw the better. Don't be afraid if you see the contact surface deform. The leather is incredibly resilient and will pop back.

3. With the tip of the tool installed on the screw and the tool being held as straight as possible get a small hammer and give some medium sharp taps on the end of the tool. The idea is to send a shock wave through the tool and on the screw. This will greatly help to break it free.

What you want to avoid is coming in on a sharp angle with the tool and just cranking on the head of the screw. Doing this without any mechanical sympathy can result in a screw head that is rounded off or breaking the tip of the tool in the screw head. These instances are very rare and can be pretty much eliminated by following the three tips above.

Hope this helps and happy wrenching!

16. steve moody

steve moody Karting

Apr 27, 2019
    Cape Coral, Florida 33914
    Full Name:
    steve moody
    I have a 599 and want to put Challenge shift paddles on. Can anyone confirm if the 458, F12, FF etc... extended paddles will fit a 599?

17. Da Butcher

Da Butcher Karting

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jose Marie Alandy
    Steve,

Carbonio's 458 Challenge elongated paddles are one and the same as that used for direct replacement on 599 GTB and HGTE models. Before I turned over my GTB to the new buyer, I had the Challenge paddles removed and replaced with the original 599 shorter paddles (with agreement of the buyer), then had them reinstalled on my HGTE.

As Taz verified in an earlier post, I myself couldn't find myself driving without the elongated / extended paddles since I 100% always use the F1 paddle shifters and never use the automatic feature (saves premature clutch wear).

Butch

18. phil the brit

phil the brit Formula 3

Jul 7, 2013
    Colchester+Clermont
    Full Name:
    Phil Taylor
    Link to 599 paddle does not work

19. steve moody

steve moody Karting

Apr 27, 2019
    Cape Coral, Florida 33914
    Full Name:
    steve moody
    Thanks Butch!! I will get them.

20. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

These paddles are on my to do list. I drive exclusively with the paddles and I really see the need for them.