Can't find tires. No joke | FerrariChat

Can't find tires. No joke

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by puckybadger, Apr 24, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. puckybadger

puckybadger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 12, 2016
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    My 2002 456M GT has beautiful Novitec NF2's (19") with P-Zero's. Fronts are 255/35/19, Rears are 355/35/19 which I am being told no longer exist. Tire rack suggests 315/30/19 or 305/30/R19 because they fit 10.5"-11.0" wheels. I'm thinking those sizes will not look anywhere as good as the current 355's. Help please.

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    What you want on the rear are 345/30 19 Michelin Pilot Super Sports. These are about an inch larger in diameter than the 355/25 19s you currently have fitted, but have not caused any ABS/ASR problems on 456s or Maranellos when fitted. Fronts should be OEM sized 255/35 19s, which you are already running.

Pirelli/Novitec have not made any of the 355/25 19s since 2008, so any NOS tires you found would already be timed out.

Unfortunately the 4S replacement for the MPSS has not yet been made in a size large enough for the 12.5" wide NF2 wheels, but the MPSS is still a great tire. Have them fitted to my 575M.

The tire sizes recommended by TireRack are way too small for 12.5" wide wheels.

3. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    time to swap back to factory modulars....

4. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Henry- Know anybody with a set?

5. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    soon.....

6. Lionworks Auto

Lionworks Auto Formula 3

Oct 16, 2013
    Worthington OH
    Full Name:
    Ed

I can attest on Taz's comment as I have the set up he recommends. You will need rear spacers (you probably already have) and make certain your rear shocks are 100% - mine were not and had to rebuild (send to DeltaVee) as the wide tires would rub on the inside before. But now it rides like a charm and a really modern look imho. Here are pix to help you see the rake and fit...

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Those wheels look really familiar. Are they still fitted with the Schrader TPMS system?

Nice photos.

8. MogulBoy

MogulBoy Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2004
    Devon
    Not sure that I would go for this myself but there is at least one company here in Switzerland that can adjust the width of the barrels of alloy wheels (e.g. they dissect them and then either add or remove material to increase or decrease in the width!). Not road legal of course (without homologation) but I guess that there is a market for this kind of thing.

One would certainly want to know that the offset remained within limits if one lost 2" from the width!

9. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Ed, those look fantastic! The appearance is instantly transformed and modernized without compromising the quiet-elegance of the 456. I have yet to see those Novitec's in a way that doesn't look superb. Mucho likey.

10. Lionworks Auto

Lionworks Auto Formula 3

Oct 16, 2013
    Worthington OH
    Full Name:
    Ed

Yup, they have been terrific rims - appreciate you and Frenchie. The TPMS system is not loaded.

11. Lionworks Auto

Lionworks Auto Formula 3

Oct 16, 2013
    Worthington OH
    Full Name:
    Ed

Thanks - the rims were loaded when I purchased the car - and probably wouldn't have been attracted to the 456 without back then. It had the pirellis loaded that the OP has and I wore them down to shreds before following recommendations to try the MSS's. I was at first a little snobbish about the American made tire on a ferrari - but they are hands down a superior tire in performance, wear and look - so much better than Pirelli's. In fact have loaded a set of MSS on my F355 spider lately.

12. 550v12SABI

550v12SABI Karting

Mar 29, 2012
    Long Island, N.Y US
    Full Name:
    Steve in NY
    I have a pair of brand new 355's that I had purchased as spares for my own car but am willing to sell them for the right price. Please let me know what you have in mind.

Steve in NY

13. puckybadger

Silver Subscribed

Jan 12, 2016
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    What is the date stamp? I have plenty of tread left, the issue is they are 8 years old and I feel the rubber has been compromised.

14. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Just picked up some NF2s and this is good info. What size rear spacers are required?

15. 550v12SABI

550v12SABI Karting

Mar 29, 2012
    Long Island, N.Y US
    Full Name:
    Steve in NY
    The ones i have in storage are also about 7 or eight years old. I still have full tread on my tires that are on the car but given that they are no longer available I bought the set as a just in case kind of thing. Those tires will probably not be available again and i figured since i dont race or track the car it shouldnt be a big deal.

16. Lionworks Auto

Lionworks Auto Formula 3

Oct 16, 2013
    Worthington OH
    Full Name:
    Ed

25mm hill engineering type 2 spacer on rears

17. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    With the 25 mm HE Type 2 spacers, the bolts that hold on the spacer may interfere with the NF2 wheels and need to be turned down on top just a bit. Easy enough to do in a drill press with a small file. If you are paranoid, have them replated afterwards or just paint the head. Do not remember if the bolts are SS or not.

18. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Aged out tires are a big deal. From age alone the rubber hardens, resulting in a very significant reduction in traction and grip. If you just toddle along gently from home to a nearby show and shine, then you can get away with old tires, but if you actually drive above a crawling pace then aged tires are definitely unsafe. Imagine you need to hit the brakes when a dog runs out in front of you, or a car runs a stop sign and you need to emergency brake or swerve...

19. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    BTW, my Novitecs came to me in black. I am going to have them refinished. What color is the Novitec silver?

20. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Chris- If I were you, I would have them done in the silver Ferrari uses on their OEM wheels, Argento Metallizzato/Argento Nurburgring (same color) PPG 36520. Not sure what color the NF2s were originally, even though I had one of mine repainted. Very close to the PPG 36520. The factory paint jobs (mine were new from the factory), were not all that good to start with, so having them repainted is not a bad deal.

21. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks Taz, I just wanted to make sure they didn't have a unique finish.

22. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Chris- No, just silver paint.

23. puckybadger

Silver Subscribed

Jan 12, 2016
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    UPDATE: 4 new MPSS installed last Saturday and I couldn't be any happier with the ride and handling. Plus the rear's look great despite a slightly different size (was 355/25, now 345/30). With a choice of one for wide rear tires we should all be thrilled that Michelin offers this great option. I am running 35 psi fronts and 39 psi rears.

24. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Those are really high pressures and may cause the tires to wear in the center and compromise handling. Something like 32 psi F&R will probably work better

25. Lionworks Auto

Lionworks Auto Formula 3

Oct 16, 2013
    Worthington OH
    Full Name:
    Ed

Great to hear! Please send some pix - id like to see another twin :). Agree with Taz - ease off a bit on the pressure - they are really quality tires and perform well within normal tolerances - no need to "amp" them for extra performance.