Buying a car from Spain | FerrariChat

Buying a car from Spain

Discussion in 'Spain' started by SFchallenge, Apr 10, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SFchallenge

SFchallenge F1 World Champ

Jun 28, 2004
    Sgp, KL, HK & London
    Full Name:
    Jon Wijaya
    Hello dear Fchatters, I'm looking to buy a '70s 911 from a guy in Murcia, Spain & I'm from Malaysia.

I would like to keep it on Spanish plate while the car is kept in UK. May I know how is the experience of ownership on classic cars in Spain? Do you have annual inspections like MOT or other authorities to visit, how about insurance, road tax etc? Are there any expensive fees to expect? The car will be under my name but can it be registered to a UK address or needs a Spanish address?

Finally, he told me that payment is something like Escrow where the car is sent to a Transport company where I pay 30% of the car price to a holding bank account & they'll send it to my UK address where I have a 10days period to inspect & return it if I'm not happy. I just pay for the return transport & get my refund. If alright, I'll pay for the balance of the 70% after the car arrives in UK. Export & registration is Euro580. Owner does not get the money after everything is settled. Is this the norm?

Gracias & thanks for any advice ahead!

2. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    #2 DeSoto, Apr 11, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
    Hi.

I don´t have a clue about many of your questions, but I can tell you that there are inspections like MOT (here it´s called ITV). If the car has historic plates, those inspections are less restrictive. In some places, old cars even don´t pay taxes. But I´m not sure that you can keep the car in Spanish plates with an UK address.

Maybe others may help better.

3. Gonzoneitor

Gonzoneitor Rookie

May 21, 2013
    Hello Sfchallenge,

I don't know if you have bought the car, but I can tell you some of your questions.
    (I'm from Spain, so you can trust me, hehehe).

In Spain all cars older than 4 years must pass the ITV inspection. The two first inspections are every two years (1st at 4 years old, and 2nd at 6 years old). And then, every year. If car doesn't pass it, then you are not allowed to drive it.

Besides, a 20 years old car can be registered as Historic car. This option has several benefits: yearly driving tax exemption and cheaper insurance. But you must also keep in mind that car has a kilometres restriction, I don't remember if it is 20k km/year.

About keeping the spanish plate, Im not sure if you can. Car must be addresed in spain if owner lives here (car is addresed in the same direction that the owner gives at Townhall.) So if you don't live in Spain, I think you won't keep the plates.