Authorities looking for Ferrari Scuderia driver that killed one and ... | Page 11 | FerrariChat

Authorities looking for Ferrari Scuderia driver that killed one and ...

Discussion in 'Florida' started by RobertM, Aug 10, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    The fact that it has taken this long is a travesty in itself. Why the delay? The investigation could not possibly have taken this long. Three years after the incident and the trial date hasn't even been set? I lived in Broward County for decades. It has one of the worst law enforcement and court systems in the state in my opinion. Apparently vehicular homicide isn't that big a deal any more......

2. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    It does seem like a long long time to get to trial. But I got called for jury duty a few months ago in Broward. I wasn't selected but the case concerned a domestic violence episode from 2012 or 2013.

3. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    The prison industrial complex is too busy clogging the courts and jails with kids caught with
    minuscule amounts of drugs while murderers, rapists and pedophiles walk free.

BHW

4. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Agreed

5. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Well, it's been a year since the last post. Does anyone know if this case was ever resolved?

6. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Case is still open, still issuing subpoenas, trial date now 8/14/17.

Lots of action pre-trial.

D

7. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Thanks, Dave. Now that a trial is imminent....I hope......we can probably follow it in the local sofla media.

8. Speedspeed

Speedspeed Karting

Jul 15, 2017
    Fl Keys
    Full Name:
    charles
    WOW................................................speechless

9. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

I would not hold my breath on that.

The hearing 8/14 presents another opportunity to request more time for the defense. I'm pretty certain the county is ready to go.

I saw that there was no trial judge assigned when I looked, that's kind of interesting, but I don't know what that really means as to proceeding. I would have thought the judge hearing the motions to this point would have been the trial judge too, but I don't really know how the system works internally at the court.

D

10. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

6th amendment is, I suppose, relative. If the prosecution delays unreasonably, that's one thing, but when the defense delays to build its case, that's not a 6th amendment issue.

11. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Latest update indicates plea set for 11-9-2017.

12. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    Well? Today's the 14th. Any news?

13. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Plea set for 12/14/17. Kicked the can down the road again. I don't expect anything to actually happen on that date, within a month of the holidays, surely his attorney won't be able to make court that day, so maybe spring 2018 would be better. Sometime in May perhaps?

14. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I just read all 27 pages of this thread. Tragic but fascinating.

15. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Looks like the attorneys worked out a deal to let this one go. A deferred prosecution agreement and a nolle pros was put in the record on 12/19.

16. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    Please be more specific Bill. So they worked out a plea ?

17. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    All it says in the docket is 'nolle pros' which when I looked into that it means that the prosecution (or plaintiff) dropped the case. It either means the defendant won, or he put in a plea to a lesser offense, but it doesn't show that, so I am guessing the prosecution dropped it. I guess one of the prosecutors needed some extra holiday funds?

18. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    With a deferred prosecution agreement, it usually means a deal was worked out, but provided the defendant does not get into trouble for a set amount of time (typically 1 year), the underlying case will be dropped. Only a guess, but if there was a problem with getting credible witnesses, or there was no witness to put the defendant behind the wheel as the driver, a necessary element (owning a car that is in a crash is not a crime), this could be the outcome.

Again, only a guess.

Regards,
    Jerry

19. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    Amazing. 4.5 years later. Someone died and another life is ruined because of someone else's extreme negligence and no one does jail time. Wow.

BT likes this.
  20. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    Witnesses can be very difficult to rely on. Especially over that long of time

21. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    The surviving person (victim) was pretty old, and I am sure that the attorney / defense strategy was to drag it out as long as possible. that way you can either attack the old guy's memory, or if you get lucky, he might die in the interim. the courts are so corrupt down there it would not surprise me at all if the judge was okay with that. In any case, Radomin should be in the market for a new car by now.

22. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    This happens every day all over the US. It isn't just Florida. Although the one I was apart of for 3-1/2 years, the defendant did 90 days in jail then 2 years of suspended sentence. After everything was done their record was wiped clean. All this for Vehicular Manslaughter and DUI. Good Lawyers know how to work the system, just takes money. The victim in the case won a civil suit but to this day has not been able to collect a penny. Justice is not always served that's for sure.

23. Max4HD

Max4HD Formula 3

Jun 20, 2006
    Florida
    Are your comments based on personal knowledge or your experience with the courts & legal system in Florida?

It’s difficult to tell whether your being facetious or simply spitting out sour grapes.

Do tell.

Cheers

24. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    My comments are based on personal experience. When the judge actually does case filings on behalf of the opposing attorney, things are definitely not on the up and up as one example.

The state bar association is a joke as well and is nothing but a good ole boys club. If they were serious about integrity they would take action and not perpetuate the image of corrupt attorneys.

25. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Yes, please look up experience of defense attorney Adam Reposa in Austin. He was so successful getting DUI's off that judges and prosecutors basically went wild west frustrating him in cases, fishing for a contempt of court, and they going for the max against him. He's serving 6 months now and maybe debarred.

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/austin-attorney-adam-reposa-gets-six-months-jail-for-contempt/7m2PCB6yStTzxY5vGRCzaJ/