Another 12c vs 458 head to head test | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Another 12c vs 458 head to head test

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by TheMayor, Oct 7, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. andy c

andy c Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2011
    Seriously!!!!!,it was a suppy issue from a company in Japan due to unforseen circumstances,im quite happy with a map considering what they have had to go through.And i am happy to wait for a solution from an American company

2. Superquant

Superquant Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2009
    Ok, epic showdown CGT vs 458 vs 12C

3. Luque

Luque Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2009
    Italy
  4. deppi0

deppi0 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Edmondo
  5. calitalia

calitalia Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2009
    http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1067541_ron-dennis-addresses-mclaren-mp4-12c-quality-niggles-in-customer-letter

Presumably, every pending customer should be getting a clear explanation.

Perhaps it is all clear now.

6. Luque

Luque Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2009
    Italy
    Ya, in kryptonite forged composite ....

7. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    And where did the McLaren ultimately place, in the 2011 Autoexpress Performance Car of the Year final list? How many other cars placed above it, besides the 458 ?

This 458 "ringer" excuse is so old, and long-ago abandoned by anyone that's realized how many other cars have beaten the McLaren in performance comparisons (subjective, as well as objective). A lambo convertible comes to mind ... :)

Wasn't this McLaren supposed to be a "game changer"? Wasn't it supposed to blow the doors off the mid-engine Ferrari(s)?

Why is anyone still even paying attention to it?

8. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

I know how Ferrari did it.

It's magic.

When I sit in my 458, I'm surrounded by the stuff. It rubs off on me.

Darn Ferrari cheaters using magic! Ron Dennis' logic approach can never top magic.

9. deppi0

deppi0 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Edmondo
    By the way....I winked at the end because I was kidding! It makes me laugh the old excuse of the ringer!

It seems now they have other excuses over at McLife....It's the journalists fault as they don't understand and don't know how to drive the McLaren!!!

10. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    yeah, what he said :)

and the conspiracy ... er um ... magic ... runs so deep, it spills over to other cars that end up placing higher than the McLaren as well !!!

11. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    That excuse is even LESS plausible.

McLaren spends HOW MUCH MONEY to develop a new car ... including R & D, tooling, manufacturing, testing, distribution, advertising, etc. They're probably smart enough to realize that good reviews in the press are a good thing, for a new car ;)

SO ... the car requires a new driving style, or technique, to bring out its best. Fine.

But McLaren doesn't spend a day or two with a few journalists, to teach them how to drive it ??? Too much expense ?? puhleeez

Oh ... i see ... it takes much, MUCH more time than that to develop the proper skills. Great ... what does that say about potential McLaren customers, and how long it will take them to "learn" all about its supposed wonderfulness?

They've run out of excuses. This car is a FAIL. End of story.

12. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    oops. Check out 1:50 seconds. The Mac seems to like to leave souvenirs behind.

This car needs a better exhaust for 250 grand.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ludJsWM7edY[/ame]

13. crcs

crcs Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 18, 2009
    Burlington Ontario

Oh common. The Mp4-12 may not be perfect but the tech + concept is unbelievable for the $$. Ferrari is building cars for 40 some years now yet new 458 still caught fire(burned to the ground I may add), has transmissions blowing up(numerous owners now), brakes failing etc. I highly doubt the MP4 is a failure.

14. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #64 TheMayor, Oct 21, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2011

Really? You think it's amazing tech for the money?

Ok, it has a Carbon tub but it's not like the hand lay up process. It certainly isn't beautiful in it's unfinished state.

The engine is a V8 twin turbo. Where have we seen this before? Maybe -- the F40 -- in 1988?

It doesn't come with CCB's standard.

It doesn't have an e-diff but comes with brake steer which, as far as the testers say so far, may be great for the track but doesn't do much in the street fun department.

The DCT gearbox is pretty much just like the 458's.

The hydraulic suspension is new for this kind of car but look at the Aventador's push rod suspension.

It's certainly not bad value for money. But, superior for the money? That may be a push.

BTW: 4 458's burned because of a change in the production process, Ferrari recalled every car and fixed it, and it's a non-issue for 2 years now. In contrast, the Mac is months and months behind schedule and being shipped with incomplete electronics to try to keep customers happy (who aren't).

In contrast a brand new Mac was crashed about week ago during one of factory test drives and the owner was told his replacement car will be available NEXT SPRING. Great customer service that.

I'm not knocking the Mac. I'm just trying to keep the myths down to a minimum while the truth survives.

15. crcs

crcs Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 18, 2009
    Burlington Ontario
    #65 crcs, Oct 21, 2011
    Sure, and I agree with many of your points. It is very disheartening to hear McLaren's long list of promises and claims prove not so true. However Some on here are clearly over glorifying Ferrari at the same time without pointing to real world customer issues. The 458 has Chinese owned suspension tech shared with the likes of Camaro's and Corvettes(magneride), German Getrag gearbox found in junker M3's and a very outdated Aluminum chassis. The entire 458 experience comes purely from its amazing motor. I just wish McLaren built a proper NA motor(or even outsourced to Mercedes like the Zonda did) instead of concentrating on pathetic environmental stats.

16. deppi0

deppi0 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Edmondo
    This is what it's leaving behind:

"
    That bit that falls off is the sacrificial rubber moulding of the splitter, one each side. yes,ive done that,but on a grassy knoll!!,its the rubber air deflector infront of the front wheel,easy to put back on with 2 screws and a bolt,i think people will be loosing alot ot these,hence the price £28,but not lost one on a speed bump as they are only a few inches from the front of the wheel so the angle has to be just wrong to take them off
    "
    No comment needed I think as McFans seem happy to loose pieces of the car...

17. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    In this week's Autocar group test for 'Best Driver's Car' the McLaren could only manage 6th out of 11, despite easily posting the fastest lap (a lap which they reckoned would have been even further ahead on a more favourable circuit). And most concerning is that no judge placed it higher than 5th, with one judge ranking it two places behind a Vauxhall Corsa. And if you've ever driven a Corsa you'll know how embarrassing that is.

In the final reckoning the cars that beat the McLaren were, in order from top down: The Porsche Cayman R, Caterham Seven Supersoprt (a mere £20,000 of car!), Aston Martin V8 Vantage, Porsche 911 GT3 RS (which was described as a pretty poor example of that particular model) and Lotus Evora S. More worrying for McLaren, though, is how undistinguished a group of cars the MP4 did manage to beat: The Renault Megane 265 Trophy, BMW 1-Series M Coupe, Vauxhall Corsa VXR Nurburgring, Jaguar XKR-S and Mercedes-Benz CLS63 AMG. All decent enough cars in their own right, but it's almost a given that the McLaren should beat this group. So the question has to be asked, where would the McLaren have placed had some of this latter group been substituted with something more equitable? Say the Noble M600. Now the McLaren almost certainly places 7th out of 11. And it's a pretty safe bet, on this showing at least, that the McLaren is placing 8th out of 11 if you bring along a Nissan GT-R. And, of course, it's an absolute certainty that the McLaren would be no better than 9th out of 11 if the 458 takes to the track.

Meanwhile, over at EVO they say this of the 458: "After a fast drive in the 458 you feel like you won't sleep for days, or if you do it will be with your eyes wide open. You'd probably go base-jumping to calm down."

You're very, very welcome to you lap times. Enjoy them, they're all you've got.

18. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    #68 werewolf, Oct 21, 2011
    burned to the ground ... kinda like the GT3 McLaren did, at its inaugural race? LOL

with all the mechanical problems the pre-production McLaen's have had (i recall stories of broken suspension pieces, with premature ABS intervention ... or was that a lie?), the future for production cars doesn't look too bright. Remember, you're comparing a few mechanical issues over what, thousands of produced 458's, to a few cherry-picked pre-production McLarens. The stats certainly don't favor the MP4 !!!

This car was supposed to be a game-changer. It was supposed to smoke the mid-engine Ferrari. By all measures ... and by all reviews ... the car has failed to live up to the pre-production hype.

EDIT : 1 out of 3 GT3 McLarens burned to the ground in its inaugural race. How many production 458's caught fire? Maybe 5 out of 1000? What does that tell us?

19. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    you just don't get it. That Vauxhall Corsa ... the one that beat the MP4-12C ... was a ringer, no doubt part of the vast Ferrari conspiracy !!!!! :)

20. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    Without a doubt. And don't forget, Ron can show you a spread sheet that proves the MP4 is the best car in the world.

21. andy c

andy c Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2011
    #71 andy c, Oct 21, 2011
    sport auto german test today, 12c score 70/70
    ring time of 7.28:00. second best time after the gumpert which was 4 seconds faster,
    458 was 7.37.80,this was the first independant test,as you know factory tests can be 10 to 15 seconds quicker as HVS is more of an 911 expert
    seems the car appeals to the germanic nature

DeppiO,glass houses,it was my mistake,and thankfull it was only £28

22. Superquant

Superquant Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2009
    the car appeals to people that measure goodness of a car with a stopwatch.

this is the same as those that think that Android is 'better' than an iPhone because it has more 'features' or a processor with more GHz. That's all that needs to be said.

PROTIP: you don't live on the nurburgring.

23. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    Lol!

24. andy c

andy c Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2011
    No i dont live at the ring,but do you live with Calitalia?and if there were not these comparisons we might as all well be cruising down the boulavard saying hey look at me!
    Or polishing it on the drive.surely it makes each brand strive to be better.

25. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I hope they bring a Macca GT 3 to the Ring Next weekend.

We're but a small private team but we will try our best to leave
    them behind.