An another Mondial T potential buyer thread | Page 2 | FerrariChat

An another Mondial T potential buyer thread

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Rupp3r, Aug 28, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    If the problems were minor, the seller would have fixed them.

Check front tyres for uneven wear.

AC rebuild can be very expensive.

And sounds like you may have worn or broken ring gear on flywheel. Could also be very expensive to fix.

And seller is lying so you cannot believe anything else he says.

Take $25 k off the asking for this car. You will need it.

2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I actually sort of agree with Russ here with any Ferrari purchase.

Basically what you want to do is this. Take the car to a trusted PPI location. They will come up with a list of things that are broken or don't work, and the cost to fix it. Take this as 'x'

The purchase price should reflect this reality. I would say bargain down with original purchase price minus whatever this 'x' is.

Now, expect at least another 'x' in further sort expenses the first year.

So for example, if the asking price 50K - after PPI - they say 5K worth of stuff needed. At least get the car down to 45K. (at least, more if possible of course! try to get it down to 40K~)

Now expect about 10K worth of repairs/sorting.

That's what I recommend. As long as there is nothing critically wrong with major things like the engine, suspension, and transmission - you should be good. Little things always crop up - but none of them have been show stoppers to me. In fact it is part of the hobby and nice to wrench on the minor stuff yourself.

3. Rupp3r

Rupp3r Karting

Aug 26, 2016
    France
    Hello

Thanks
    for your reply.

I have indeed read that issues with the flywheel could create some hot start problem. However, from what I have understood this is more due to issue with the flywheel grease packing and in this case the engine is turning but not starting, while having some rattle noise when starting and stopping, isn't it?
    I will have a look at it tomorrow, but if as he say nothing happens when turning the key it looks more like an electrical issue.?

May be I haven't quite catch all the things going with theses cars, but to be honest I do not see how I could end up with 10k of parts of repairs -excepted a transmission/engine breakdown-.
    Do you have examples of what really pricey can come?

I am going to see it tomorrow and I would inspect it myself very cautiously and see to plan a PPI if I am really interested.

4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #29 paulchua, Sep 2, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
    Everything is about 10x in cost from what one is used to on a normal car. If you don't have an extra 5-10k just in case (not saying you'll need to use it) well, see other threads on here.

I'll give you one example. Loose $20 climate control switch on any other car is $200 used for a Ferrari. Not saying it will be a show stopper but cars get in the poor condition they are because owners let things pile up instead of fixing as soon as they come up.

It's a 30 year old low production exotic only about 400 total in the United States for the t. They are not cheap and you will have to fix anything nearly 3 decades old.

Somebody here made the horse analogy, it's %100 spot on. It's something you care for constantly, not a buy and worry about oil changes only. It does take certain individuals and a caretaker mindset to enjoy.

Some buy these cars and let them sit...just as bad as not doing maintenance. I asked Kevin Enderby of Ferrari Club of America a few weeks ago what's his secret for having a 200k miles 328!??!

He said simple. I drive it and fix what breaks

5. WilyB

WilyB F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 23, 2007
    AZ
    I respectfully, but strongly disagree. I may have driven my t less than 9,000 miles from new, but it still runs like new (and smell like new too).

6. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I don't doubt you one bit. Although 'letting it sit' can mean a whole range of things from not driving it for years to months or just weeks.

I believe I'm not the only one that says having a car just sit with no exercise is not a good thing. I believe that's standard conventional wisdom. As far as what that threshold is (is driving it around the block once a month all you need?) I will be lying if I said I knew. I do know that for me - I try to drive it every time I get an opportunity!

Be well

7. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    Ask wilmonette about that. He bought a well sorted car with a fresh major and still managed to spend over $30 k within the first 500 miles.

8. WilyB

WilyB F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 23, 2007
    AZ
    I agree that this is definitively the conventional wisdom, but somehow it doesn't apply in the case of my t. I used it once this Summer to tour the wine country of the PNW and it worked flawlessly. It has not been w/o the usual t problems over the 26 years of ownership, mostly of the electrical kind, but Fernando @Competizione fixed all of them.

I am now looking for a great indie in the Portland area.

9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    that's great to hear! I'm glad you are able to store in regularly long term and have no ill effects!

Be well.

10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    yes, it's a conspiracy. to the OP expect about 30K in costs in the first 500 miles.

We're all just making stuff up about our own personal experiences.

:)

11. Rupp3r

Rupp3r Karting

Aug 26, 2016
    France
    #36 Rupp3r, Sep 3, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
    Hello

I look after my cars, but I don't like to spew money and don't want to make a 30 years old car looks new!

I apologize, but I have looked at wilmonette' classified and its $34k bills was, I quote "Tubi exhaust, new rotors, brake pads, tires, water pump, plug wires, springs, starter, hoses, rings, seals, wheel bolts, cosmetic engine bay restoration, the cost of the Classiche, and many "while you are in there items""+major service.

I don't know what where the "while you are in there items" but for the rest of the parts I have looked on Superformance/EuroSpareParts and there is nothing that is crazy expensive (brake pads, rotor, plug wires,spring). The water pump is indeed not cheap but the same as on a Mercedes V8.

For the rest of the pars, I don't see anything that could be really expensive but I imagine that the labor was indeed crazy and on a 9k car I am sure it was non stopper!? And for a DIY, these is nothing that is really hard to do.

I have also clearly seen that the belt service can be done with the engine in. If there is only a limited mileage between both services (in my case I don't see how I could more than 10k) I am sure it is fair enough?

12. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Rupp3r, I'm also a guy who does all the work on his cars and more than just regular service. I'm a certified mechanic and a strong believer in the try to do it simpler but I'm not sure the engine IN belt replacement is a good idea. I think you better set your mind in an engine out if you buy one of them. Sometime just a bit more work but a MUCH better result.

13. Rupp3r

Rupp3r Karting

Aug 26, 2016
    France
    #38 Rupp3r, Sep 3, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
    To be honest I don't know. I have seen a thread here showing how to do it engine in and it seems to be really OK. I understand if you have others things to do then it can be smart to pull out the engine, when as I said when we are talking about swapping belt every 10 000 miles maximum (in my case it would be) I think this can be OK to do a full service with the engine out maybe every 3 belts.. anyway I am not in this situation for now!

I have checked the Mondial T I told you this afternoon.

Well, to be honest I am quite disappointed to see a Ferrari that is advertised as in good state reminds me of some rubbish car I was checking when looking my first car.
    I think this would be a very nice restoration price at a low price since this is also something I could be looking at... but not really since this can cost a hell of a lot money. I really don't think it we be sold as is so maybe will see at 25k€ it can be good!

However, I think this is a very good first Ferrari check since I have a lot of questions due to what I have seen since I don't know if it is Ferrari specific behaviour!

Here it is:

bad points:

-told me FSH, but in fact the service manual only written between new a 30 000km but no bills: almost nothing between 30 000km and 73 000km where the owner did as I said the clutch, belt and starter but 3 years ago and not 1 as he told me on the phone and nothing till now! A part from that, one towing bill and work on cooling system and some ignition stuff not that the owner initially tried to hide me I think.. really not comforting!

-tires almost unused but quite old knackered... ok for old school driving but not with a Ferrari..
    -all the suspension bushes are really knackered and maybe explain why he says that the handling is rubbish!? (he had a pit in his garage so this is nice)
    -lots of small bits in the paint that are hidden by a different shade red!
    -he told me he doesn't push in a cold engine but after only 2/3km he was WOT to 4k rpm???

Questions:
    -the car has a decat (so this is a good point for me with some pops on lift off!) but is it normal for a Mondial T to smoke blue for a few minutes when cold (on a normal car I would say no!) and to have a have a kind of unstable engine rev when driving cold (1000/2000rpm) (was feeling oil)?
    -I did notice a noise coming from the gear stick. A kind of rolling road clearly coming from the gear stick. I don't now if it is nominal on a Mondial T (noise coming from the outside or I don't know, not hearing this on others cars!) or if it is indicating a tired gearbox? No whistling noise heard from the behind the seats or even from outside.
    -we did go over a lot of speed bump and I was turning the suspension control between hard and soft but didn't feel any difference over the bumps.. is the ride difference noticeable between soft and hard settings?
    -and regarding the hot start issue well..! It is not a hot start issue since it appeared cold just after having run the car one minute. The owner spent 5 minutes to start by moving the car a little bit in gear (was a little bit funny to be honest).

This is making me think that it has something to do with the flywheel and not just a relay thing! I was hearing some clicking from the he was turning the key but nothing else! He has however replaced the flywheel ring gear with the clutch 3 years ago.. can this already be broken!?

I did not check all I wanted since I was really disgusted to see a Ferrari in this condition..

Thanks for reading this long message!

14. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Engine should run smooth and powerful hot or cold. No reason not to go to redline when warm. And you are right about blue smoke. And these cars handle well unless broken or worn out somehow. Sounds like a beaten and abused car as you said. One to avoid.
    I'm not going to address all the issues. It would be redundant.

15. Rupp3r

Rupp3r Karting

Aug 26, 2016
    France
    I can assure you I love to redline! The reason why I am interested in this car is clearly the engine and the 7800rpm redline compared to a Porsche 964 and its 6500rpm or so!... but I mean he was already pushing when the temps were barely leaving the 60°C mark!

16. Rupp3r

Rupp3r Karting

Aug 26, 2016
    France
    Hello

I have just checked an another Mondial T (a cab one). Nice example and no blue smoke at all!

I have called back the owner of the previous owner and we agreed on a buying price of 25k$. I have taken a margin of 15k$ for the smokey engine (valve steam seals at least) and for the noisy gearbox stick.

I plan to tow it home and then to start a full engine/gearbox that will last a few moments, but that will be a dream project! I will just arrange a quick check by some pro in order to check that there is no accident damage.

Any thoughts on this, crazy or not?!

17. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    If it's me, I rather start with a well sorted 40K car then buy a 25K car that needs 15K of work.

The problem with a 25K Mondial is that a lot of the problems will pop up only *after* you get it running properly.

The truth is though, this could be the a great deal. Just depends on your own risk tolerance.

18. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    To your questions:

Definitely do not push the car when it's cold. I wait until oil gauge is past the first nominal bracket, otherwise below 4K.

My car smokes - but not crazy when first started after say a week sitting, but only for about 30 seconds - then nothing

-gear shift noise - My gear shift makes no noise at all - this could be a concern

-noticeable between hard and soft - but you have to drive the car for a while to feel the difference, could be hard to gauge

-never had a hot start issue

hope this helps!

19. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen

A Cab T for $25K if the body and interior are good call me if you do not buy it ....heck worse case a used 3.4 engine goes for $8K , $25K thats a steal

20. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I'd do a compression and leak down. My paranoid concern is that some people were very abusive to these cars. They think Ferrari is magic and from cold can be driven very hard and then put away for months and then abused again. Compression and leak down will hopefully let you know that the engine is basically solid. There is the saying that the most expensive Ferrari is the cheapest one. I've only seen one Ferrari of this vintage have blue smoke and it was a car that was known to have a very rough life and was abused constantly. I don't have broad experience but oil burning is never a good thing.

21. Rupp3r

Rupp3r Karting

Aug 26, 2016
    France
    Hello

No it isn't a cab this one is a coupe. There is also the start of a gearbox bearing I think. I listened to the audio I made and we clearly hear this noise disappearing when clutching for a shift.

At 25k; I think I have the back up plan of an used gearbox/engine for 15k which can save me if something turns bad.

I there is no broken gearbox gear and cylinders liner I think I will save a little money. If both are gone I will lose some money.

I will see the car again tomorrow and have a look at the blue smoke to see when it is smoking and try to arrange a compression test. Just hoping liners are ok!

To be honest; I am looking at a good project or opportunity since I barely drive and I am not in a hurry to have one another car! As I said I enjoy doing mechanics do this why if at the end it ends up at 25k+15k I will still have had fun!
    Further; I have come to the conclusion that no matter the condition of the car I buy; I will not be confident with the gearbox state and will open it for a check..

22. PATLEW

PATLEW Formula 3

Dec 3, 2007
    Marvin /Waxhaw
    Full Name:
    Patrick Lewandowski
    Agreed! Noisy gear box run fast I had that happen to mine bad syncros between 4th and 5th gear broke loose and ended up replacing entire trans. Took 6 months to locate one out of the country 21k plus my old one. Mondial t are not entry level do not buy one that is not 100% documented and all sorted it will cost you. Entry level on price but rich mans car on repairs. Compared to my 430 I put nothing into it during ownership vs 40k in a Mondial t I bought from famous Tristram Ferrari rip off artist on the site.

23. PATLEW

PATLEW Formula 3

Dec 3, 2007
    Marvin /Waxhaw
    Full Name:
    Patrick Lewandowski
    No offense if you want a project car its not the car to do this on unless you have deep pockets and are a high end mechanic. There are better project cars out there worth the effort. 25K can easily become a 50k car plus with repairs that you will never get back out of the car. I will list some of the issues for you:
    Starters
    Alternators
    Gas tank leaking
    Bad syncros very well documented in the 348 section
    engine out services
    variable suspension setting failure
    Catalytic converter failure not cheap
    electrical gremlins
    AC issues
    radiator fan upgrades
    aging components and rarity of parts that are expensive
    rusting under door sills

Not to scare you but a well sorted Mondial t is a fun car and worth ownership but a project purchase can be a nightmare. If I could do it all over again I would have skipped the mondial t entirely because I thought it was entry level but in the end what I spent on the car plus repairs I should have bought a 360.

Good luck whatever you do but some of the things you list as potential issues is a clear indicator that you need to move on. Ask yourself if it was a Toyota and had these potential issues would you buy it?

24. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    I see you are in AZ. The car you are talking about is probably the rustbucket black coupe that has been for sale for some time. Check the metal under the rubber seals under the hood. It's completely gone. The car is a parts car at best.

25. Rupp3r

Rupp3r Karting

Aug 26, 2016
    France
    #50 Rupp3r, Sep 9, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
    Hello

Thanks all for your replies.

Patlew: yes I realize they are not entry level; I am advised to go for a 3.2 but..!
    You said you paid 21k for your gearbox! Was it a brand new one or a spare one? As I said I found ones at 6/7k which looks to be good example?

Regarding the issue list you are giving; the starter is recent; the alternator is nothing in price and when engine out. This one has been decat and I think the exhaust ecu is removed so that is a trouble in less..!

The AC is also in trouble but I have called other Mondial at way higher prices that were also sold with a "don't used AC..".
    Regarding the rest; synchro (gearbox failure also) and suspension control the thing is that there is no link with service history. You can spend 50k on a FSH example and you are almost sure of breaking a gearbox before 80k miles.. And I don't what is the percentage of non working dynamic suspension but I suspect it to be quite high since this is a non stopper without any fault indication!

I have seen a lot of cars having a FSH with only normal services but no big work and you still pay for the bills even if does not protect you against major breakdown like on a air cooled Porsche for example. On Ferrari I really think that maintenance is necessary but not sufficient... Which is why I find it maybe better to start from scratch !

After an engine+gearbox rebuils history is not anymore meaningful; excepted for past damage but I am going to check it.

And yes; a few years ago I bought a Corolla like car that was left for 10 years with a big blown head gasket and a lot more and it was fun to repair it.. Now just want to take a step!

From what I have seen; engine wise there is no rocket science at all in a Mondial T engine; nothing really scary; isn't it?

The gearbox is more tricky I admit but I think I have some jokers that could help me and in the end if I can indeed find a good spare gearbox for 6/7k game is not over.

In the end; I am expecting to have between 6 and 20k of parts.
    I really don't see how I could really loose more than 10k in the story since even if I want I sell it back for 15k and that's a fail; or end up spending having spent 45k for something that is not worth more than 35k.

So this is the kind of risk I am OK to take. However I am not willing to spend 25k+40k of parts; I don't see how this would be possible but if it is then I would be grateful to be made aware!

Russ; this is not at a this car and the only thing I know about it is that it is rust free!

My spending plan:

Engine:
    -3k usual parts (belts; timing bearings; low end bearings; gaskets; rings)
    -1/1.5k heads job by a specialist (presure and planar check); valve seats and guides
    -if I am not lucky: one or two liners+pistons : 2/3k
    -if I am really not lucky; spare engine: 9k

Gearbox:
    -bearings and 2nd and 3nd synchros: 1.5/2k?
    -if I am not lucky: one or two gears/shafts? 2/4k?
    -if I am really not lucky: a spare gearbox: 7k

Various stuff:
    -AC: 0.1/1k
    -dynamic suspensions : 0/1.5k
    -bushes; hoses; a few bits: 0.5/2k

Is this pricing really optimistic? I have looked at various Ferrari parts sellers.

For me it would become tough if low end engine and transmissions gears are damaged..