Aggressive looking Cali? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Aggressive looking Cali?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by trig, Sep 10, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I thought you just needed the mirror control switch to point to the passenger side to get the reverse/dip down feature?
    T

2. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Will play around with the mirror tonight and report. If can be set to auto dip it will be in the right place to see the kerb but the wrong place for reversing down a curving slope to the garage where we keep the car., So 50/50 on this.

3. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    If you want to make a California look more manly,put a suspension package on it and much wider wheels and tires. Lower, plus 295/30-19 and 345/30-19 on 10 1/2" and 12 1/2" rims. Then your manhood will go unquestioned.

Fabspeed Motorsport likes this.
  4. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
  5. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    Agreed with Walt...and paired with our ECU tune - you're picking up enough power to question the decision to get a tune in the first place! Hahah :)

6. mobinakhtar

mobinakhtar Karting

Jan 28, 2015
    Fabspeed Motorsport likes this.
  7. mobinakhtar

mobinakhtar Karting

Jan 28, 2015
    Damn! Now I cannot find the website I downloaded this pc from!

8. mobinakhtar

mobinakhtar Karting

Jan 28, 2015
    So pretty much all these newer cars will put the car in N when driver door opens, and vehicle is in D or R.

My 2015 S550 does it too. Its a safety feature - considering driver can actually leave car physically while car is in drive or reverse. This will ensure car does not escape the driver unintentionally.

I discovered it while checking mail one day - I was in a hurry and opened the door quickly - I thought it would auto-park but it was in N because I forgot to turn engine off and it started rolling. Then I realized, I did not turn engine off - or it didn't register the very quick tap at the start/stop button where it will convert the N to Park after like one second delay.

Have not tried this in the Cali yet. I have learned to keep it in 1, then turn ignition off to get the key out quickly. Otherwise, since I was used to the Maserati coupe, I would put it in N and pull emergency brakes to Park it. In the Cali, if you do N - then turn off the car - "wash mode active" shows and there is a delay before you can remove the Cali Key. I am always unsure if it will still move or not when in wash mode - Wish it had a manual - Hand-brake. :) Old School!

9. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Another vote for a manual parking brake! Electronic parking brake is IMO one of the dumbest features going. In my Porsche, I never wonder if it's set, I just look down! Simple visual confirmation.
    T

10. OwenC

OwenC Karting

Aug 12, 2017
    I was actually wondering why "wash mode" appears when I turn off the engine. Thought it was another error. Oh, another new quirk discovered today. :p

11. mobinakhtar

mobinakhtar Karting

Jan 28, 2015
    ^ You're so welcome :) OwenC. That drove me Crazy - since I own a few car washes!

OwenC likes this.
  12. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I do do like the California, have driven each version as they've been released, and ferrari keep just polishing the article to make it that little bit better each time, I imagine the Portofino will be the ultimate version now with a tuned engine and bodywork that is honed to perfection .

On the subject of fuel, I noticed that the newer ferraris are pretty good on highway trips, my 458 at a steady 90 got around 25-30 mpg, which I think was quite a good result, round town with no real long constant runs, more like 10-15 max. All depends on how you drive them, but I got to Mercedes brooklands base from my place (about 110 miles) and back, on between half and three quarters tank in the 458. I wasn't hanging around, but almost all of the miles were on the 'freeway' where I was able to switch on 'pit lane mode' and cruise at a steady 90 most of the way. A friendly Audi R8 driver managed to warn me of a speed trap at one point where the two of us were considerably higher than that and driving right at a police camera van!

13. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^25 - 30 miles per gallon. Wow. I gotta try a few more long highway runs. I'm closer to half that...T