Aftermarket stereo deck | FerrariChat

Aftermarket stereo deck

Discussion in '360/430' started by I'm 360 Canuck, Oct 7, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    those of you who replaced the stock Becker with a more modern aftermarket car audio deck, how much did your sound quality improve from this ALONE?
    Obviously you would have gained a ton of new features, and that's what I'm really after....but just wondering if the sound alone improved noticeably, or is a full system upgrade required ie amp, speakers sub etc.
    I'm not a huge audio guy, so really not looking to go the full route at this point. I prefer things to look somewhat stock. But I know the remaining components can be a limiting factor, not to mention the engine noise.

2. JohnsScud168

JohnsScud168 Rookie

Oct 6, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    John Forbes
    I would look into PIONEER. They got some nice stuff .. I just picked up a Pioneer NeX for the 430 Scud.. Waiting for it to get installed. It has Car play, navi, bluetooth, xm radio, touch screen etc...

3. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    I just got the Ferrari Infotainment system installed yesterday (Clarion unit). Can't say it sounds better, but definitely louder. Also a few more ways to adjust sound quality (not just bass and treble). However, I am getting hissing through my speakers now, ever when volume level set to lowest point. Trying to figure out how to stop it.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  4. Corsair66

Corsair66 Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2016
    Clermont, FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Did you get the new 3300NEX? I've been looking at that one and procrastinating on pulling the trigger. I like that CarPlay obviates the need for a separate GPS antenna, but I've wanted to see it installed in another 430 before I go for it. I'll be looking forward to your install report & pics!

JohnsScud168 likes this.
  5. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    That's another concern. I used to have an older vette, that no matter what I did, always seemed to have an rpm related engine noise going through the stereo. Hard to ground all that Fiberglas,
    I'm really wary of changing things with this car but I really need to get some more up to date functionality.

JohnsScud168 likes this.
  6. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Post back with your experiences once it's installed.
    No offence, that would be more valuable to me than being dazzled in a sales showroom.

7. JohnsScud168

JohnsScud168 Rookie

Oct 6, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    John Forbes
    Post back with your experiences once it's installed.
    No offence, that would be more valuable to me than being dazzled in a sales showroom.

Sure thing~! I'll update you once its installed ..

8. JohnsScud168

JohnsScud168 Rookie

Oct 6, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    John Forbes
    No problem! i will have it installed in a few months from now.. I be glad to share some pix with you all. i heard it was a great system

9. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    I have a Pioneer deck, arc audio amp and speakers. Replacing the radio alone will be better than stock. But not by much.

10. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Mine is a F430.

I just got done replacing my entire HiFi system. Took me 2 weekends.

I replaced the head unit with Alpine CDE-164BT. Excellent head unit.
    I replaced the speakers with Morel Maximo 6.5" component speaker. Fantastic speakers and tweeters. Silky smooth sound.
    Replaced the amp with Pioneer GM- D1004 bridged to 2 channel.
    Replaced the subwoofer with Kenwood KSC-SW11. OK subwoofer, Im not happy so I will replace it with a powered JL Audio subwoofer this weekend.

I will post complete DIY soon.

Replacing just the head unit alone will be about 25% improvement as the becker head unit is not very good. distortion at upper volume is horrible.
    Replacing the amp will be another 25% improvement as the amp is also crap. 10%THD.
    Replacing the speakers will be another 25% improvement as the stock speakers are horrible. Muddy sounding at low volume and harsh sounding at high volume.

The biggest improvement will be the addition of a very good subwoofer so you can actually not just hear but feel the bass.
    I will receive my JL audio powered subwoofer on Friday and will install it this weekend.

Will post DIY complete with photos soon.

The easiest to replace is the Head Unit. one adapter connector, plus reversing yellow and red power wires.

Takes about 20 minutes.

Dan

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Eric_Martinez

Eric_Martinez Rookie

Jul 5, 2017
    I put the 3300 in mine and love it, I still have to put the back up camera in but another weekend. It took me two days to do it but it's was not that hard. Custome installed Mike into the Ferrari spot by the interior lights. Sounds great, I like CarPlay, but Android auto is so much better.

12. Corsair66

Corsair66 Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2016
    Clermont, FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Is it not possible to use the stock Bluetooth mike with the new deck? If not, how difficult was it to route the new one into place?

Sure, except for actually having to live with an Android device vs. my iPhone. Never gonna happen... :)

13. StrangeBru

StrangeBru Rookie

May 20, 2019
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bergenfeld
    I know this is several years old, but when you opened up the stock double subwoofer area, were there 2 speakers in there or one speaker and a port ???

14. honda corse

honda corse Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2011
    Vancouver & Whistler
    Full Name:
    mark buchmann
    Hifi sub is one speaker despite it looking like there’s two.

StrangeBru likes this.
  15. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Most (if not all) of the factory "hi-fi" optioned 360's and 430's will have a hiss even at the lowest volume level. This is because the "amplifier" located under the dash acts as a "booster". It boosts everything (including the noise floor). Even if you add an aftermarket amplifier, if you're running the stock head unit, you'll need to set the amplifier into hi level input mode (which effectively makes the aftermarket amplifier act as a booster). Replacing the head unit with an aftermarket one with low level (or line level or RCA) inputs and hooking it up to a true amplifier will eliminate the noise problem). The RPM related whiney noise is another problem altogether.

albkid and honda corse like this.
  16. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    One is a miniature subwoofer, the other one is a "radiator"

It's pure crap and you hear nothing but rattles. No deep bass.

Go with Scuderia Audio subwoofer. Worth every penny.