Advice Required -Collecting new car | FerrariChat

Advice Required -Collecting new car

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 100badboy100, Oct 8, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 100badboy100

100badboy100 Formula Junior
    Owner

Sep 15, 2016
    Devon- U.K.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hi

So to cut a long story short:-

Ordered a new 488 in September 2016 - my first brand new Ferrari and second Ferrari in total. One of the reasons for getting a brand new car was that I could ideally collect from factory and drive it back to get the full Ferrari experience.

Asked the dealer at the time if factory collection was possible he said yes and even showed me a used car in the showroom that had been a factory collect car.
    Ordered the car 28th September 2016 and it was noted on the order form as factory collection.

So I get an email a couple weeks back with an update that car is at status 20 and a message that factory collection may now not be possible no specific reason.

I emailed back and re iterated that I wanted factory collection a set the plan was that my brother and I would drive it back from Italy to the uk. Dealer says errrrrr....let me see if I can call in a favour....

Friday last week I get an email from dealer saying car is at status 30 - paint, and that the factory cannot accommodate a factory collection.

I asked if I can collect from a local dealer in Italy and drive back Answer = No
    I ask if he can book me a factory tour only week of collection if I drive back out there and Answe = Yes!!!
    I ask that I can travel at 1 day notice and go anytime to collect Answer = No not possible
    I then ask for first available date that factory can accommodate me and = No reply so far

Ok so I know I'm not a special customer to Ferrari I'm only spending a quarter mil£ with them on 1 motor but I do feel really let down as for me this is a dream come true purchase.

I was so upset about it yesterday that I did think about going down to the dealer and cancelling the order but then thought better of it.

So what advice do you all have? Should I just wait for the car to arrive and enjoy it or should I do something else?

Thoughts?

Michael

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Its probably no consolation but factory collection has very rarely been possible for anyone let alone new and/or 8 cylinder customers

3. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I'd suggest not emailing.

Telephone first. If that doesn't work, then show up in person, either at the main dealer or at Maranello.

Emails never get the job done.

Matt

4. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Let's face it, Ferrari doesn't give a hoot in hell about their customers.

daveyator likes this.
  5. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    If factory collection is on the order you placed, then that is part of the contract between you and Ferrari dealer.

If it was me I would , in writing, recorded delivery, reiterate to the dealer what is in the contract and that you fully expect them to meet their contract obligations, else it is a breach of contract. As you state I would point out to them that this has been a life time ambition and that you have already been making plans to collect the car with family members, who's also lifetime ambition it has been to collect a new car from the factory.

If at the end of the day the dealer refuses to arrange factory collection (and lets face it, anything like this can be arranged if they can be bothered. At worst they can prep / register etc the car in the UK, then flatbed it back to Maranello for you to collect!) then you have laid the ground work to forcing their hand at compensation for breach of contract and loss of enjoyment etc.. If they are a grown up responsible dealer they will offer you something nice.

Corsair66 likes this.
  6. 100badboy100

Owner

Sep 15, 2016
    Devon- U.K.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Thank you for those that have replied and sent PMs.

After a bit of persistence it looks like I will be collecting my new toy from the factory in maranello in the next few weeeks.

I'm super excited!

Regards

Michael

7. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Brilliant news!!!

We look forward to LOTS of pictures!!!

8. 100badboy100

Owner

Sep 15, 2016
    Devon- U.K.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Yep will do!!

Michael

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

9. Brisbane

Brisbane Rookie

Aug 7, 2015
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Hopefully you’re able to collect your car from Maranello soon. I’m more interested in your wait time for the car, will it really be 14 months from order to deliver? I’m in Queensland, Australia, which I would have thought would hold a lower priority than the UK with Ferrari, and I ordered a fairly low spec 488 in March this year and the boat docks on the 8th of November. I should take delivery a week later. Does your car have a special paint order or is it a 70th Anniversary model?

10. 100badboy100

Owner

Sep 15, 2016
    Devon- U.K.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hi

No it's a fairly standard car...wait times here in the uk are a nightmare...paid my deposit 28th September 2016 and it should be ready to collect within a week or so I hope as I have confirmation that the car is now built!

Regards

Michael

11. 100badboy100

Owner

Sep 15, 2016
    Devon- U.K.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    UPDATE.....

So just got a date this morning to collect my car from the factory on 9th November and then drive it back to the UK

Very excited now!

Regards

Michael

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

David_S likes this.