Advice on F12 | Page 12 | FerrariChat

Advice on F12

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by MDEL, Jan 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Presently I have on my F12b the Pirelli P0 tires but soon I intend to order new Michelin's because they'll take quite sometime to arrive. I would appreciate very much your practical opinion on the different Michelin tires because I get the impression there are other options to the acclaimed the Pilot Super Sport.

2. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013

There is a pilot sport 4 now, I don't know if they make in in F12 OEM size, the sport cup 2 would be the ideal (not as good in wet - which doesn't matter for me) but they definitely don't come in OEM size you have to move up to wider rear.

So far I can say I'm more than pleased with my MPSS which I've put 6000 km on since last Aug when I chucked P0's in bin

3. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Thank you. Do you happen to have the complete code reference of your MPSP front and back tires ? if you could provide them I would be very great full.

4. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013

I'll PM you a pic of tyre as soon as I leave the house later

5. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The recommended Michelin PSS for the F12 are Ferrari specified (K2):
    front 255/35 R20 97ZR(Y) XL K2
    rear 315/35 R20 110ZR(Y) XL K2

By the way the future tyre to look at is the Pilot Sport 4S and NOT the Pilot Sport 4 (the 4S has just been released and does not have all dimensions available yet, while the 4 is an older generation and is a different range targetting sports cars rather than supercars - a really confusing naming from Michelin).

6. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013

Thanks for clarifying I just know there is a 4 in it somewhere.....lol

7. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Mario, I have the MPSS 'K2' on my F12b. I can't fault them, but I would definitely look into the 4S if you can wait for availability as surely will be even better.

8. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013

Does this version 4s come in F12B OEM size?

9. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I haven't checked as my tyres are new but I would of thought it won't be too long especially is the 812 uses them, assuming they are the same size tyre?

10. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    F12 KID, LVP 488 and Justin, thank you for all the valuable information on the Michelin's, if I understood well the 4s are an upgrade of the MPSS and if they are already available I'll try to order them. If for some reason the 4s are not available yet, probably I'll be better off delaying for sometime the order until I can get them.

11. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The PS4S exists in the correct sizes/loads for the F12b but not as Ferrari homologated.
    Front size is generic and rear size is Porsche homologation (N0).
    Specific manufacturer homologations are typically only impacting the compound (usually softer) but I do not know what would be the consequence of mixing regular front with Porsche rear.

12. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I am sure Michelin will get to making these tires in the Ferrari size and homologation. It's more a question of time. If you have to decide today, I would go with the correct K2 MPSS. If you have time, then you have something extra for which to look forward.

13. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013

I look forward to you gents feedback on these new shoes.....

I do believe that the F12B and 812 don't run same tyre sizes - 4WS therefore I believe they can get away with wider shoes up front......someone more technically briefed than I needs to chime in on this

14. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Thank you Jerry that's very sensible advice. I'll monitor the Pirelli's wearing after the Ferrari 70th anniversary at Estoril on 8th July and based on their state I'll see if I have time to wait or if new tires are needed.

15. Zaius

Zaius Formula Junior

May 8, 2014
    F12's already rusting.

16. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Any updates and thoughts on your F12, Mario, after your first track date?
    T

17. luigisayshello

luigisayshello Karting

Jul 9, 2014
    Wider front tires will make an f12 slide a bit more but that's it, to be honest, the extra grip might be enough to neutralize. Now wider tires on oem f12 wheels, that I don't know, don't know the specs of the wheels.
    To be honest, the rws or passo corto introduction because of the wider front tires, sounds more like an excuse to add it, than a necessity.

18. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    #293 MDEL, Jul 12, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Tom, most days of last week we had very hot sunny days but on Saturday morning when the 70th anniversary of Ferrari event took place, St. Peter was in a bad mood and send rain. The Estoril track was very, very slippery and on these conditions my first lap was a reconnaissance one with the manetino in sport. On the 4th curve (VIP curve), just with a light touch of accelerator, the F12 drifted to the right all the way and scared the hell out of me. From then on because the driver's name wasn't Vettel, the manetino was kept in wet for the all session. The long straight was the only place where I was able to experience some of the F12's potential but because of the conditions and the approaching curve which is normally done in 1st or 2nd gear the breaks had to be applied much earlier than usually. The car arrived at the 300 meter breaking sign at 250 -260 Km/hour and some of the people watching from the boxes told me later on that the sound when passing by and during the gears downshifts is superb.
    After we finished the track session all the Ferraris went in caravan for lunch to a nearby lovely hotel called Penha Longa which is implanted inside the Sintra forest and has some very nice golf courses. Dinner and the closing session was nearby Estoril at the Mirage hotel overlooking the bay of Cascais and like in the 007 movies, the Scuderia Rampante Club surprised all of us by placing a red Ferrari California in the first floor of the hotel great lobby. I post a couple of pictures, one of the F12 near the boxes and the other of the dessert that was served. When I receive the pictures taken by the photographer's I'll post some more.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Mario...Whoa, drifting along the track sounds scary! Am sorry the weather did not cooperate. The rest sounds great. That plate is a work of art!
    T

20. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Lovely plate! Is the shield edible?

21. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Absolutely and very tasty….

22. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Mario, I'm glad you didn't damage yourself nor the car and you had fun in the process! Yes, I think with the wet conditions & mega power car can = tricky and you used good judgment. And your car looks fantastic out there with his family.

23. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Jerry, thank you. Last Saturday the Estoril track was really slippery and despite of the fact that there are large run-off areas, if the car enters the coarse gravel the brake rotors and also some lower body parts could be considerably damaged. Driving the F12 fast on this conditions using a manetino setting above WET requires great driving skills. For a while I was behind a 456 which hasn't the modern traction control systems and several times the car drifted so much in the curves that I thought was to make a 360º turn but to my surprise the driver always managed to bring it back.

24. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Way to go Mario getting the beast out on the track !!!! Too bad about the slick conditions...still, it must of been a blast...Thanks for sharing your experience. I think everyone who owns an F12 should take it out for at least one track day to get closer to feeling the awesome capabilities of this car...something that can't be done on the street.

25. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    #300 Caeruleus11, Jul 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    I agree Chris. Yes Mario you are right to always drive with a zone of safety. I am just back from driving in the Puglia region where the roads nearest to the water have a fine layer of dust and the first time I decided to have a little fun with the car, well, it sure got my attention! Fortunately, the further inland we went, the less dust on the roads and also the more the roads are used the less dust. It amazes me how much better (in general) the drivers over there are than the drivers in my area (again, generalization).