A visit to La Cuerva De La Pileta | FerrariChat

A visit to La Cuerva De La Pileta

Discussion in 'Spain' started by pippo, Mar 31, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pippo

pippo Formula 3

Sep 25, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    pippopotemus
    Amigos,

(spanish very bad, so english):
    Planning visit to Cadiz, and instead of following the crowds with deisel bus fumes to Sevilla, wanted to rent a car to see Cuerva de la Pileta Cave/paleolithic cave drawings. I understand best to get there in morning . Has anybody ever visited there? Advice appreciated!

Also, would like to go see a local White Hill Town nearby, like Rhonda, etc. Do you have a favorite? Opinions welcome and appreciated!

Pippo

2. JMPINO

JMPINO Rookie

Aug 14, 2006
    Madrid
    Full Name:
    Juan Manuel
    Sorry but i'm from Madrid and cadiz was done a lot of years ago and i do not remember...

sure someone will help you...

regards y venga a ver si alguien puede ayudar al compañero!

3. juanra

juanra Rookie

Nov 6, 2011
    Madrid,Long Beach,LA
    Full Name:
    Juan Ra
    They are amaizing, lenght is about 500m with no electrical lights so you need a candle that is provided with the ticket.
    I recomend you hardly Ronda, is a very nice place. And, in case you still have enought time to waste in this area, you could visit Setenil, rounding 18 KM away from Ronda direction to Cadiz. It is not a very known village, but very courious as has built in the rock mountain.
    Enjoy it and good travel.
    Juan

4. PS89

PS89 Rookie

Aug 22, 2011
    #4 PS89, Apr 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2012
    I agree it is good to arrive there in the morning, but if you can it is absolutely worth visiting this park for a day and combining this with a visit at the village of Grazalema. This is one of the typical white villages and especially known for its handmade carpets and ponchos. Ronda is also worth a visit if you can - it is quite spectacular, particularly its old town. It has dramatic views, and there is a deep gorge cutting through its centre - it is a city that makes you understand what southern spain was like hundreds of years ago before all the tourists and expats invaded!

I have to say, the greatest way to travel in this area, and particularly if you are going to travel onto Seville afterwards, is to do it in style in a Ferrari! I did this a few years back and it was just awesome. You can [link removed] or anywhere along the Costa del Sol, and then drive up from there. You can drive via San Pedro de Alcántara on the A376/C-3 which takes you through the awesome Sierra Bermeja mountains, although I think there is a gentler route if you wanted? The roads to Ronda are quite windy, but if you continue from Ronda onto Seville, you find some of the best driving roads in spain. What time of year are you planning to go?

5. PS89

PS89 Rookie

Aug 22, 2011
    oh, and don't forget to eat some real traditional Tapas - it is simple and delicious - try Lechugita, 0 Grados, or Bar Faustino - local places where a tiny bit of spanish might be appreciated, but will give you a less touristy taste of Ronda.

6. pippo

pippo Formula 3

Sep 25, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    pippopotemus
    #6 pippo, Apr 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2012
    Thanks, PS, and fellow members! (sorry for delay, was out of town for 2 weeks). I will be there in about 3 weeks. Ferrari is cool, but might be too $$$. unfortunately, It will only be one day stop at Cadiz- I have to hurry, rent the car, run (drive fast) to Pileta, and hope all goes well. Yes, I thought Ronda would be very nice. especially their historic Bull Ring and Museum. (oldest in Spain). . I am afraid may not have time for anymore, such as Gazamala. We stop again in Malaga, but there we go to another site.

So, what is the fastest/quickest way to Pileta? Time will be most important, although, I am sure driving in that area will be beautiful anywhere.

7. pippo

pippo Formula 3

Sep 25, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    pippopotemus
    Hmmm, touristy in Ronda? Well, I hate touristy places, but I guess sometimes one has to make an exception. Too crowded is not good, I think you agree, but if not Ronda, perhaps a less crowded white hill town? Grazmala? I may have to accept the crowded town of Ronda otherwise. I will focus attention on the architecture/history/cliffs/bridge, and ignore the crowds, I guess......

8. pippo

pippo Formula 3

Sep 25, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    pippopotemus
    Setenil- I will research.......gracias.

9. pippo

pippo Formula 3

Sep 25, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    pippopotemus
    I never made it to Spain- boat stopped in Portugal (lisbon), and got an urgent e mail(telephone does not work on boat). had to fly out of Lisbon next day home for family emergency.

Fortunately, all went well at the hospital. Now, maybe in future, I will fly to Spain, no more cruise ships.......

10. PS89

PS89 Rookie

Aug 22, 2011
    Wow, that is a shame, but glad to hear things are ok with the family. Make sure you get to Spain some time though!

11. pippo

pippo Formula 3

Sep 25, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    pippopotemus

12. Peter Costa del Sol

Nov 27, 2013
    Estepona, Spain
    Full Name:
    Peter