A "not-so-expensive" brake upgrade for F355 | Page 5 | FerrariChat

A "not-so-expensive" brake upgrade for F355

Discussion in '348/355' started by eric355, Sep 18, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johan6504

johan6504 Formula 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
    Looks great Eric!
    Strange but nice feeling seeing the brackets finally put on your car :) Sold two more set, both to the UK :)

I have been able to test the new brakes for a few days now and so far it works perfect. Still haven't been able to really stress them but as soon as the brakes are run in, I will... Accidentally had a spot on the rotors that gave me a vibration under heavy breaking so I have the ware that off first...

2. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    Eric,

That will never work with red marking dots on the mounting bolts. They will loosen and come out. Must use yellow marks!

Seriously, very nice work and another great mod. :)

3. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    :)
    Thanks

4. fck

fck Rookie

Jan 21, 2010
    HK
    #104 fck, Apr 30, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
    Just want to know is it possible only change the disc to 550 the 330mm disc, create the brackets keep to use the original 355 brake clippers?

5. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    No way! The 355 calipers are not compatible with the 550 rotors. Both the diameter (330mm) and the thickness (32mm) of the 550 rotors will exceed the capacity of the 335 calipers.

6. fck

fck Rookie

Jan 21, 2010
    HK
    So if I change the 550 calipers also will no problem right?

7. johan6504

johan6504 Formula 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
    Have you read from the beginning?

This modification is based on a Porsche/Brembo caliper with a bracket to convert the fixing points. If you can use the 550 calipers as a direct bolt-on is not known to me...

8. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    Never say never ...

I finally put back the OEM brakes on my car ........................................ and sold it ;)
    I continue to think that the 355 should have been delivered stock with this kind of brakes. The feeling and brake efficiency were absolutely perfect for me.

So, if somebody want a complete kit (rotors + calipers + DS2500 pads + Johan's brackets) I have one for sale with only 5000km on it.
    As explained in the thread, NO modification is required on the car, however, spacers (> 2-3 mm) must be installed on the front wheels to clear the calipers.

More details in PM.

9. marcov

marcov Karting

Dec 8, 2007
    Ottawa Canada
    Full Name:
    Marco V
    Great post, I have been inspired to upgrade my 348 brakes.

I just bought a slightly used Stoptech Front-Back big brake package. The kit came off a highly modified 2007 350Z that had been vandalized. The kit has 355mmx32mm slotted rotors and ST40 calipers in the front and ST45 in the back.

The brakes have less then 4k on them and when I measured the rotors, they were as good are new. Unfortunately the 350Z hats and caliper brackets are too different and cannot be reused for the 348. Therefore, to install these brakes on the 348, I need to machine new hats and new caliper mounting bracket (piece of cake).

When all is done, I hope to have big brakes for under $1400.

10. marcov

marcov Karting

Dec 8, 2007
    Ottawa Canada
    Full Name:
    Marco V
    #110 marcov, Feb 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. Rob'Z

Rob'Z Formula 3

Mar 29, 2008
    Tucson,AZ
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Nice! I love seeing other owner's fabrication/machining threads. Competition is a good thing. ;)

Rob

12. m5guy

m5guy Formula 3

Aug 17, 2008
    Ventura, CA.
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #112 m5guy, Feb 21, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
    Marcov, please call the guys at StopTech as soon as possible (310)933-1100 or email them to discuss your piston sizing. "Making it work" is more than just fabricating hats and brackets. The weight distribution of a 350Z is completely different from a 348, and I suspect you may end up with a system that is excessively front biased.

One of the goals of any good balanced big brake system is to maintain vehicle stability during the maximum application of the brakes. When the system is overamplified on either the front or the rear, typically there is a loss of stability or an early or partial engagement of ABS.

Alternately, you can PM me your email address and I will send you an Excel template that contains the StopTech pedal calculator. This is a spreadsheet that takes you all the way from the leverage ratio of the brake pedal to the tire/ground interface.

Finally, full disclosure: I work for Centric Parts, the parent company of StopTech, so I'm always concerned about component parts being used in a different application than what they were originally designed for.

13. TopElement

TopElement Formula 3

May 14, 2005
    OC & Vegas
    Full Name:
    A Montoya
    2024 or 7075? Why is there only a partial bolt pattern, or will it be machined away?

Cool to see othere machining their own stuff too!

14. marcov

marcov Karting

Dec 8, 2007
    Ottawa Canada
    Full Name:
    Marco V
    I am using 7075-T6 Aluminum; it is stronger then the 6061-T6 and is a pleasure to machine. Also 7075-T6 maintains more of its strength when heated. I also plan to use 7075 for the caliper brackets.
    There is a partial bolt pattern because I have not completed the other half. The plan is to have additional lightning holes on the front hub.
    The hub machining is on hold for the next few weeks, as pointed out by Greg, the ST-45 caliper area is inadequate for the back of the 348. I am thinking of boring out the back calipers and machining titanium pistons (at this rate, this project may extent into next winter).

15. m5guy

m5guy Formula 3

Aug 17, 2008
    Ventura, CA.
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #115 m5guy, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
    Hi Marcov, you would be further ahead by selling the ST45 calipers and then using the money to shop for the correctly sized front calipers. As noted in the worksheet I emailed you, the Z-Car front calipers are sized perfectly for the rear of the 348 if you run the smaller diameter rear rotors.

The problem with re-boring the ST45 is that (1) You have to develop a work holding fixture that secures the caliper perfectly flat, but does not clamp so tightly as to distort the material; (2) the inside of the bore has a pressure seal groove that you would need to recut to the correct diameter; (3) you would remove the anodizing in the existing bore and there is no way to locally re-anodize that region; (4) you would need to recut the dust boot register. Way too much work for too little $ saved.

Good luck on the continuation of the project!

16. Extreme

Extreme F1 Rookie

May 26, 2010
    Northern Utah
    Full Name:
    Erick
    I realize this thread is a bit on the old side...
    Just wondering if anyone has performed this mod on the rear brakes?

Also, is it possible to still get the mounting brackets?

17. Samy

Samy Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2005
    Did anyone build a rear bracket and maybe got a sketch or cad file from it?
    Or atleast is the front bracket compatible to the rear? Distance between the two bolt holes the same as in front or different?

18. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci
    This thread has been dead for couple of years. I thought I bring it back to life. I was able get brackets from Johan to do the Porsche caliper upgrade. I've got 550 rotors and thought I had the Porsche calipers. It turns out they've sent me wrong calipers. The problem now is I can't find these calipers. Any other Porsche calipers???
    Any ideas??!
    Thanks guys.

19. Badabing!

Badabing! Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2014
    NYC
    Did you try rockauto.com?

20. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Awesome. I am going to go up in stages. All I want is drilled rotors with my new 18 inch OZ Superleggera IIIs. I can go up in rotor size now but stock is fine at this point. I am thinking more about style. The drilling can help for cooling a bit. I want to get another set of stock calipers to preserve my build value and paint the new set Giallo Modena with the upgraded rotors (same size). I have seen them on Superformance and Ricambi if I remember correctly. Probably start next winter. 355 specs are the same for diameters and such.

21. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci
    rockauto has only one side:(
    I do appreciate it though.

22. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci
    Any other leads on where to find these calipers?
    Thanks

23. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    #123 spider348, May 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  24. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci
    That is a nice set up. So, does he use the orm wheels with the big red?
    I've purchased 550 rotors, 25mm spacer, and the bracket already. Looking for the calipers.
    But, this is interesting. Is there anyway you can give out more info and more pics with the wheels?
    Thanks

25. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Will do this weekend. Have 355 challenge wheels currently. No problem with fit. 355 Fiorano drilled calipers and rotors on rear.