A/C problem question on 360 | FerrariChat

A/C problem question on 360

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by bisel, Oct 6, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    The A/C on my 360 has a quirk. When the temperature selector switch is set to "Lo", the vents blows cool but not as cold as one would expect. Move the temperature selector switch one notch up ... like 62 degrees ...the A/C blows full hot.

Techs have checked function and refrigerant levels. They seem fine. They suspect that the electronic climate control module is bad.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Steve

2. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    They need to diagnose the system by looking at the values of all of the temperature sensors in the car and the requested temperature input to see what inputs the ECU is getting. It is very easy to point to the control module and say that it is bad, but if it is getting bad information it (inputs), then you get incorrect output. Just like any other computerized system.

Dave rocks likes this.
  3. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Thanks for your reply Motob ... the techs did do what you suggest. They ran through the entire diagnosis on the SD2 and the indicated temperatures where inline with what they would anticipate. They did also hypothesize that the the temp sensors may be at fault as well as the control module. But because the A/C blew very hot air when the temp switch was set to 66 deg (vs. Lo), leads them to think it is the module.

Steve

4. voicey

voicey Formula 3

Jul 29, 2009
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Aldous Voice
    Have they checked that the TGK valve is operating correctly?

5. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    I'll ask them about it. Thanks, Aldous.

6. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Update ...

A fellow F-chatter gave me some great advice. Went to the shop to try some things.

First, my tech plugged in the SD2 and checked for any error codes. Found several on the dashboard TCU. Cleared those codes. Then took another working A/C module (bored from a donor car) and found that it worked fine. Put the original module back in and now it is working correctly.

So should you experience this wierd behavior, try the following.

- Look for any codes on all ECU's. Clear the codes. Requires SD2.
    - unplug the A/C module. There are two plugs. Leave it unplugged for 5 to 10 min.
    - reconnect the A/C module. Start the car.
    - turn temp control full low. Leave for few seconds. Turn temp control full hot. Leave for few secs.
    - rotate back to low, then hot a couple of times.
    - Check function of all controls

This procedure worked for me and saved me $900 for new module. My thanks go out to Dave, fellow F-chatter.

Steve

MalcQV likes this.
  7. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Excellent. I shall remember. I seem to be in italics too :p