612 on ebay VIN:ZFFAA54A160147648 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

612 on ebay VIN:ZFFAA54A160147648

Discussion in '612/599' started by TrojanFan, Aug 29, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy

I was at Westlake Ferrari today and the dealer is having an C&C event this Sunday 7 am - 11am (?) at the Lakes (rear parking lot) in Thousand Oaks next to the Civic Arts Center/City Hall. I have been to a couple of their events and seem to have a pretty good turnout of Fcars. Pretty low key event compared to Super Car Sunday which is a bit more to my liking. Actually more than were at the Super Car Sunday event when Ferrari was the mark recently. There are a couple of other 612 owners who occasionally come to their events.

Also some of the folks from the service center show up at the event. Bill Rhode, service manager from Van Nuys, actually reattached the rear view mirror of a 458 for a guy who had it fall off the day before. The Westlake dealer never seems to have any 612s and all cars are on consignment at the dealership. The Beverly Hills store has an occasional 612 but at the full retail price it seemed to me.

2. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Based on recent prices, I bet that the Portland car will go for under $90K.

Hurricane path looks to be shifting west and further from the Miami area. Monday will be the day I find out. If not the one there, then another one. I'm in no rust and it is looking like a buyer's market to some extent. I keep seeing the same cars over and over with new ones coming up. For the '05 & "06's, the ones that are actually selling look to be in the $80-$90K range. Next year will see the '07's for under $100K.

3. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    TrojanFan, I know you have lots of experience with F cars. But remember it is not all about price. Anytime I have bought the "cheapest", I have regretted it. Ask my X wife! :)

4. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter

Agreed, but no need to over pay. 612's seem to have a limited market appeal right now with a small pool of buyers. Just saying that a lot of the same cars have been available for months. Its been taking a drop in the price for them to get sold. From what I am seeing, '05-'06 612's that are actually selling seem to be going in the $80's to about $90k for the base model, down maybe 10-20% from the asking prices. Maybe a few thousand more for on of the suspension packages. High mileage or gaps in service history go on the lower side.

5. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Key replacement is probably going to be over $1,000. My local Ferrari dealer took almost a month to get it programmed correctly.

6. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I never understand what so many Ferrari's have missing keys. Every one that I have purchased is ALWAYS missing at least one. What the hell do people do with them? I have never lost a programmable car key (of course my wife has).

7. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Most likely prior owner kept it as a memento

8. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Yep I used to do that on my former early 911s but they were just regular keys so no big deal. But on the programable keys I have always given them up.

9. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Sounds like a paint meter is a must on that car (only referring to the comments about "paint issues").

10. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    The car arrived last Friday and I took her on a 100 mike shakedown drive Saturday. Overall the car drove well and is in fairly decent shape. There are a few things to sort out.

The clutch was just done at Ferrari of Palm Beach as part of the sale so hopefully that's good for a while.
    Paint has a few minor scratches. Going to give her a good detail and that should improve things. The one issue is that there is the "typical" corrosion on the passenger side door so that will have to be addressed.
    Interior - Typical wearing on the drivers seat but nothing that a good cleaning and some leatherique wont fix. Headliner has some sag in the rear that I need to attend to. It looks like all of the plastic has already been stripped so no sticky issues. Certainly not as good as Dave Rocks would have done but at least its not sticky. The headlight and mirror switches are damaged and will need to be replaced. There is starting to be some shrinkage on the dash. Not bad yet so I have to see if there is anything I can do to forestall that issue.

Car showed up with a dead battery. Difficult to find that size - went for an Optima.

Minor little missing things such as the top piece to the battery connector and sever of the thumb screws in the engine compartment. I have an order into Ricambi it get these all sorted out.

Planning to do an oil change this weekend. After that I'll get to a belt change and tension bearings within the next month or so.

All of the exterior lights look to have been replaced by Novitec in black - Tail lights, side markers, etc. all have the blackout look. Looks very stealthy on a 612. I haven't gotten around to see if the car had a Novitec ECU tuning. That would be nice.

Major issues to deal with are: Corrosion on door, headlight/mirror switch replacement, no manuals or tool kit (has tire infiltrator), headliner and belt replacement.
    I have no service records but the majority, if not all, of the service was done by Ferrari Fort Lauderdale. I am going to ask nicely if they will give me a printout for the car.

11. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Trojan Fan, congratulations on the purchase. You certainly got an incredible price. It also sounds like there's not that much that you will need to do to it.

With respect to Ferrari of Fort Lauderdale, my car spent its entire life there before I purchased it. It was originally ordered through them by a well-known local collector and was an OTO. They would only give me the service records of the owner I was buying it from and not the prior owner, even with blanking out names to protect the innocent. So if you make any headway in getting the records let me know, I would love to get the prior records for my car as well. If it took throwing a little cash at them I would be in for that with you as well. Maybe a package deal.

Ron

12. Anthony James

Anthony James Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2012
    Essex
    If you need any of the Square nuts that the missing thumb screws in the engine compartment attach to I have several if you need 1 or 2.

13. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I actually need 1. I was trying to track them down without any luck.

14. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Trojan Fan, a few additional thoughts for you.

I had a similar issue with my mirror/headlight switch when I bought my car. In my case I didn’t initially recognize that Ferrari parts are not the best made parts in the world. So I was twisting the mirror switch like I do on my other non Ferrari cars and within 24 hours of taking delivery I had the knob come off in my hands (it had a plastic shaft that deteriorates). So I then had the privilege of finding out that what would be a $5 part at Schuck’s was in fact a $1800 part if it was a Ferrari part. It was my little welcome to the Ferrari club and I quickly learned a life lesson and I treat all of the little knobs and switches with a lot more respect.

Anyways, the mirror/headlight switch is a single assembly and you cannot buy them separately. They are Ferrari part number 191969. You can buy them as an original new factory part but, as I said, they are about $1800. I hunted around at wreckers and I actually found the part at Scuderia Car Parts in the UK. They are very reliable and they shipped it to me for about $700 all in. Still a lot for a broken plastic shaft on the knob, but hey it’s a Ferrari!

Be careful with Florida cars. Mine came with P-Zero tires and they had a lot of tread but a serious case of dry rot. I replaced them with Michelin Pilot Super Sports and they are awesome. However, according to TAZ, the Michelin Pilot 4 S are even better. I will have to wait to find out about that.

Also TAZ gave me a heads up about the exhaust. I set it up so the exhaust bypass valves are open all the time. It sounds MUCH better. It just involves removing and capping the hoses that go to the pneumatic valves on the tailpipes. It is really easy.

You mentioned your dash and your rear headliner. My car had a similar problem (I think it is common with Florida cars because of the heat/humidity). I was going to live with it but I decided that I wanted to change the look of the dash so I sent it to Randy at RMT. He gave me an awesome price to replace the dash, fix the headliner, etc. Far better than I have heard quoted on this forum. Incidentally, I also did a ceramic window tint on the windshield. It was too late to stop the prior heat effect on the leather but it cut the heat transmission by about 90% so it will definitely stop future dash shrinkage. I also had Randy send out my ECUs for tuning. Makes a difference.

On the dead battery, that was an issue for me too. I replaced it but I found I still have to plug it in to the trickle charger if I am going to leave it for more than 4 or 5 days. The computer keeps running when the car is off and eats the battery.

Also, if you want to send me your e mail address, I can send you a PDF of my 2007 owner’s manual. It is pretty much the same as the 2006 other than the radio.

Hope all this helps.

15. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Ron, thanks for the insight. I'm not new to Ferraris so I'm well aware of the Ferrari tax on parts. It's ridiculous that the headlight/mirror switch is only sold as a unit when the individual switches are easily removed. In any case I'll shop around until I find one used while looking maybe replace the mirror one with the much less expensive Maserati one that is a direct fit.

The tires on the car are Michelin's and less than a year old so decent there for the time.

It seems like all of these cars need trickle chargers due to all the electronics on them. Even my 355 can't go more than a week and still start. The 328 had no computers and could go months and still start right up. Just another thing that Ferrari seems to be lacking behind any other car maker. I never put a tender on my Mercedes.

Thanks for the offer on the manual but I was able to download one. What I am looking for is a down load of a shop manual and eventually I'll track down original manuals.

16. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    I explored the Maserati one as a solution but decided not to. The burled knob on the Ferrari is different than the Maserati. It is connected by a plastic rod that is one piece. So you can't replace the knob and make it match.

If you're find shop manuals let me know. I've explored that for a couple of years and I've had no luck. I would love to have one.

17. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Here's a couple of quick shots of the car. I'll post more after a detailing. I wasn't sure on the Novitec lights but they are growing on me.

Attached Files:

18. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Also just found out I need to replace the F1 reverse lever as it is very "floppy". A Hill repair one is on the way from Ricambi.