599 Spyder Concept | Page 3 | FerrariChat

599 Spyder Concept

Discussion in '612/599' started by drkita, May 7, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    +1

2. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I saw the car this past week at both quail and concorso it really looks great in person well done.. Why Ferrari does not offer this type of car I don't know ...The car look just great in person....

3. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    This is now my new favorite modern Ferrari. Incredibly well done.

I'd love to see more and learn more about the car.

4. drkita

drkita Karting

Sep 21, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steve Kita
    Thanks everyone, for your comments! It seems really weird to say it myself, but I really do like how it looks! FastCars did a great job!

5. drkita

drkita Karting

Sep 21, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steve Kita
    Yes. it will have a soft top. We designed the soft top arms specially for this car. We are still tweeking the system, but it will be a fully automatic, hydraulic soft top. The Tonneau cover panel will open back, the soft top will move into place, and the cover will close. This is the one part, I wish was ready for Quail, but it was just not quite ready. We will show it as soon as it is ready.

We are using the front windshield, and top frame of the windshield from a Ferrari California.
    Therefore, the latch hardware in the frame, and the interior panels at the top of the windshield, including the vanity lights, and rearview mirror, and all the buttons are all genuine Ferrari made parts. We can use Factory rubber seals and everything too, to seal the soft top at the windshield.

The windshield is also more raked back than the 599 one, so it looks better in my opinion.

But all of this is a fantastic idea by Fastcars, since it keeps everything as faithful to Ferrari as possible.

6. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    Very nice! I think Ferrari has made far too few open cars...and some they have done have not been well executed. Just one of the reasons that I also own Astons. I am also a fan of the Straman 550s done years ago and find that their styling is cleaner than that of the Barchetta...

7. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    thing I just don't understand instead of forcing buyers of a weak model like the FF why not offer a both a berlinetta and a convertible model of the V12s just like they do with the mid engine cars. They would sell great in the USA and save the LE models for a lightweight cars like they do with the mid engine cars....
    missing the boat to me.....

8. krazykarguy

krazykarguy Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Wow. Absolutely stunning. I love how you managed to re-create the sail panels without any buttresses - thus retaining one of the most unique aspects of the 599.

I am a fan of the SA Aperta, but this is next level. Will be following the thread and eagerly await the top up pictures.

9. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Really loved reading the story and the work and passion you put into the car. I think it looks very nice. Congratulations!
    One question I have is, have you made any provisions for rollover since there are no hoops? Does the windscreen frame bear the load?

10. francars

francars Karting

Nov 28, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Francisco
    Steve, It was nice meeting you and Craig at Monterey carweek. Car looks great and it is definitely unique!

Congrats on making your dream come true

11. calder1

calder1 F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 26, 2006
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Craig
    We are in the process of making a few design tweaks so the convertible top looks good when its up. We will post pictures of the roof when its complete and on the car.

12. CJA

CJA Karting

Nov 3, 2004
    Palos Verdes Estates
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Saw the car in person last night. The photos do NOT do it justice! It is a work of art! First class job! Congrats!

dcmetro likes this.
  13. MRY

MRY Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    Monterey Peninsula
    This car looks great in person. I was parked a couple cars away from it at concorso on Saturday.

Great job, it came out great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    I hear the conversion is 300k.

Yikes.

15. drkita

drkita Karting

Sep 21, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steve Kita
    Thanks everyone for your comments!

My friend, (and mentor) car designer, Ken Okuyama, came to my office after Pebble Beach weekend, to finish the crown we did, and I brought my car to show him. We had a nice chat outside, and he allowed me to make a video. Please take a look.

https://youtu.be/U3uviCFAats

16. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    Great video. He loved it. Congratulations!!!

17. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Amazing. Thats the Ferrari I want

18. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

How long does this conversion take place?

Have you driven the car at, say 100 MPH to see how it handles?

19. drkita

drkita Karting

Sep 21, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steve Kita
    I think Fastcars would know better on time frame for another conversion. This one they worked on for roughly 7months, but obviously it's the first one, so there were many adjustments and redesigns during the process.

I drove it on the freeway at around 70mph, and it had no rattling or any issues. It feels good to drive it on regular roads at normal speeds.

It's not meant to be track car. I wouldn't recommend this for that type of use.

20. drkita

drkita Karting

Sep 21, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steve Kita
    #70 drkita, Sep 5, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Sir_Ferrari likes this.
  21. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Steve

This car is awesome !!!
    It's on of my all time favorite cars ever built.

For me, this is the reincarnation of the 250 California SWB.

Daniel

22. drkita

drkita Karting

Sep 21, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steve Kita
    Wow! Thank you so much! That is a huge compliment!
    I love the 250 California SWB. It is one of my favorite classic Ferraris.

23. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    agreed. why Ferrari didnt build this (or any regular production front 12) is baffling to me

24. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Fantastic - I have been considering this myself.

How were the structural issues dealt with? Has the rake angle been modified?

Congratulations.

25. drkita

drkita Karting

Sep 21, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steve Kita

Thanks! Sorry I haven't been here in a while. Structurally, its been reinforced underneath, welded beams, and bolted on cross structure, so that we achieve necessary rigidity, but also be serviceable underneath to access exhausts, and drivetrain. Handling feels very good.