599, other V12 or 3 Corvettes + F355 | FerrariChat

599, other V12 or 3 Corvettes + F355

Discussion in '612/599' started by Kruegmeister, Oct 15, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kruegmeister

Kruegmeister Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 24, 2016
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Kruegmeister
    So instead of Buying a Bigger House with property, we have decided with the Kids a couple of Years from getting their Degrees moving out why go thru the Hassle of getting something close to all the Money I've put in my Yard and Basement plus all that darn Construction...
    So I'm probably gonna buy or lease an industrial space and make it a "Car Cave"

So now that I'm not limited with space I'm trying to decide???

Option 1: (Figure $180K)
    I could buy a C1 (56 or 57), C4 (93 Anny), C6 (427 Anny) + a gated F355 Spider
    This would give me all 7 generations of the Vette until the C8 Mid Engine comes out plus a gated Ferrari in 1 of my Favorite styles (down side is engine out issues)
    C1 and C4 shouldn't depreciate much more but C6 is still on its way down, but likely to be collectible down the road.

Option 2:
    Desires for a V12 Ferrari to bunk with my F430 F1 Spider.
    I've been eying a 2008 599 with Dealer installed HGTE ($159K) mileage is 25K, that or find a True Factory HGTE ($200K+)
    I realize Factory HGTE is the sought after models and I like the idea of a investment I can hit the road with from time to time...
    I like the F12 possibly better than the 599 so I could go option 1 and wait for the F12 to hit the bottom of the depreciation curve down the road...
    599 I think may be nearing the bottom of the depreciation curve even for the non-factory HGTE and outside of the 427 Vette this may be a more exhilarating ride and bring more Smiles per Gallon... ahhhhhh decisions....

2. Doom

Doom Rookie

Sep 8, 2017
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Doom
    I opted for a 599 with a dealer installed HGTE. It was also $60k less than the factory installed HGTE 599s I could find at the time.

3. JohnBradleyDaniels

Oct 16, 2011
    Spartanburg SC
    I'm personally a GT fan especially due to ease of accessing the engine bay. My first was an '01 550 Maranello Titanio Grigio 6-years ago that I did the timing belts myself then was involved in an accident--RIP, then it I picked up this year my Black '05 612 and then a Silver '09 California for my wife. I put a Tubi Competition Cat Back on, aftermarket high-end sound system and Nav with a custom sub built for the space in the tool kit area with out loosing space in the trunk and 599 Challenge Rims on my 612. Then I purchased Forigato 22/21 Staggered Black Rims and Lowered it with Novitec Coilovers, Full Carbon Fiber Package, Tubi Race Exhaust and a ECU Novitec tune.

I'd say go with a V12 599 since you can get the 6.0, chain driven. I am familiar with the 550/575/early 612 engines so for me it was an easy decision.

All this said original Covettes with matching number will always generally appreciate, however I would probably consider a 360/430 where you have an access panel behind the seats to make working on the vehicle much simpler. Just my opinion though.
    Cheers!

4. Kruegmeister

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 24, 2016
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Kruegmeister
    I've got the 430 already.
    Just tossing between completing the Vette Collection while picking up a 355 vs 599 and maybe the C4 to start, cause I'm really wanting a V12 Ferrari...
    Also comparing getting Factory HGTE vs Dealer installed....

5. DXB599

DXB599 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

I'd get the C1 and a used F12. I don't see C4 and C6 as being very collectible long term. I've got a pretty large muscle car collection and a 599 with factory HGTE which I'll probably replace with 488 Spider in another year or two.

6. tcw

tcw Karting

Mar 11, 2009
    I would get the F12. I am a just few years past your stage in life and as I get older I find all the cars I have collected mostly just sit and collect dust. You will find that there is not enough time to drive them and taking care of them can be a drag (ie. finding a new brake/gas/oil fluid leak, dead battery, or seeing the dreaded mouse dropping). Then there is the cost of taxes and registration fees, smog tests (at least in my state) and other costs/hassles of ownership. My advice is get what you can afford, drive and enjoy it awhile, then sell it and move on to something else. Your automotive tastes will continue to change as you get older. That being said, I still enjoy looking at them while walking through the garages covered with their clear plastic drop sheets and sometimes tripping over the battery tender cables.

7. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I was in sort of the same situation. I had a 355 and a 328 but wanted a V-12. So I sold the 328 basically straight across for a 612. I would have preferred the 599 but the 612 gives me the back seat when needed with all of the V-12 fun and I still have the 355 for when I want to drive the "go kart". For the price of a 599 HGTE, you should be able to pick up both a good F355 AND a 612 HGTS or HGT2.

8. vroom

vroom Karting

Sep 9, 2007
    Pasadena
    I am also selling my 328, how do you like the 612? Am considering 550/575/599/612 or MB SLS.

9. greybeast

greybeast Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2011
    Long Island
    Trojan fan, I like your taste. Having a front 12 and an rear 8 provides nice variety. I do, however, understand the love for American muscle. Good luck to the OP you can't go wrong either way. Would you be keeping the 430? Might not need both a 355 and a 430, even though they are somewhat different.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Kruegmeister

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 24, 2016
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Kruegmeister
    Planning to keep the 430
    I'm thinking the 355 & a C1 Vette now cause I'm thinking I want a gated 355... Then down the road pickup an F12 when they stop depreciating. Especially after seeing a 599 and a F12 in person at the Ferrari Gathering last weekend, I really love the F12's looks. Then again I really do love the 458 too... ughhh too many on my Wish List.

11. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Its only been a few weeks but so far I'm loving it. Totally different from the 328/355 experience. More of a "normal" big car experience but real quick. Took her on a canyon drive at she held her own but really excels on the longer drives . My wife is loving it.