599 Oil Change Instructions and Opinions | FerrariChat

599 Oil Change Instructions and Opinions

Discussion in '612/599' started by ElastomerGuy, Aug 9, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ElastomerGuy

ElastomerGuy Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2007
    N.W. PA
    I'm looking for step by step instructions on how to change the oil in a 599. What's the part number for the filter and from whom should it be purchased? I searched this forum using the term 'oil change' but none of the threads that came up appear to contain the instructions or filter part number. I did purchase 20L of the proper Shell oil from lubrication.net in England so I'm all set as far as oil goes. Is anyone aware of instructions for changing the oil on a 599 on the net somewhere?
    And, finally, I'd like to solicit some opinions on when to change the oil. The car was just received about 6 weeks ago and has been driven about 500 miles so far. It now has about 4200 miles on it. It's located in NW PA. It'll probably be driven another 500 to 1000 miles before it'll be time to put it up for the winter. The oil was changed at around 3600 miles. Should the oil be changed before putting it up for the winter or should the oil be left alone until it's a year old and has a few more miles on it.
    Thanks in advance for the help.

2. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    I would change the engine at least once every year, regardless of miles mate.

Engine breaks down over time, so 12 months would be the maximum I would leave it in there for.

And if you are parking it up for the winter, just leave the old oil in there and change oil and filter when you start driving it again.

Happy motoring.

3. caspian575

caspian575 Karting

Jun 12, 2007
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Roger Hayes
    I change my oil at service intervals - once a year and I am doing 5K + in my 599. Unless you live in the desert or somewhere really dusty or you are tracking your car monthly why would you change the oil other than at service intervals. The Shell oil spec'd for your car will still look clean after 5K that much I can tell you and it is pretty good at doing its job.

When I lived in the middle east I changed the oil in my Beamer monthly because of the high levels of airborne sand and dust and the engine was as good as new after 30K but a 500 mile a year Ferrari ?

4. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    That is interesting! Not overkill perhaps? How often did you change or clean your air filter? :D:D

We change the engine oil in our light vehicle fleet underground (Toyota Landcruiser V8 diesels) once a week and I think that is too much. Once every month would suffice there IMO as we drive those cars in the most severe conditions known to mankind. :D:D

Dust, heat, water, dust, heat..........did I say dust? :D:D

5. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    just in case you missed it... this is a dry sump engine, which means it has a separate oil tank which carries most of the oil and the oil pan... there are 2 drain plugs... 1 to drain the oil tank and the other to drain the oil pan. Locate the plugs and let it rip, make sure your collection tank has enough capacity to hold all the oil...( since most cars only hold a few quarts of oil, the readily available waste tanks can get overfilled )

6. caspian575

caspian575 Karting

Jun 12, 2007
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Roger Hayes
    I changed the oil monthly along with the filter....usually because I was bored and had an afternoon to kill. In Saudi the oil change stations are "drive ins" so its a doddle, but hey they are busy places.

7. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Lol, cool man. Too easy. :):)

8. caspian575

caspian575 Karting

Jun 12, 2007
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Roger Hayes
    So how is Ferrari ownership in the land of the Vegemite sandwich? I can guess you have better weather than us Poms! But I guess from your mail that your location also has dust and wind blown sand and that must be very kind to Ferrari paintwork. My 599 on the other hand has everything but webbed feet

9. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Expensive! :D:D

The weather in Australia is beautiful year round. Maybe except in the state of VIC, the weather there can change the four seasons in one day. ;);)

The weather here IS perfect year sound. Blazing hot summers, ice old winters. All happens out here in the desert. :D

And yes, it is extremely dusty out there. Probably bad for the paint, but it's all good. I just drive my car when I can and I don't look after the paint as well as I should. :)

I can always repaint when the time comes. :)

The 599 is an amazing machine! I know you're enjoying it!! :D

10. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Does anyone happen to have pictures with the exact location of the drain plugs for the engine oil tank and engine oil sump?

Thank you

11. Potratz

Potratz Rookie

May 25, 2017
    Wondering the same thing about oil changes. How many filters and where? How many drain points and where? Thank you

12. derivativesguy

BANNED

Jul 18, 2017
    I would post an attachment from the 599 workshop manual for you but sadly I don't have permissions (since I'm new).

The downside of being a lurker I suppose.

13. derivativesguy

BANNED

Jul 18, 2017
    #14 derivativesguy, Aug 2, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. ferrame

ferrame Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Orange, Calif
    Thanks for posting.

15. jorge da cruz

jorge da cruz Karting

Sep 4, 2015
    Luanda Angola
    Full Name:
    Jorge Da Cruz
    #16 jorge da cruz, Sep 22, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    HI......

There is only one oil filter - Buy it from Inetrenet E-BAY Original

Oil it is special oil please search for it on the internet it is 0W60 Shell You will need 12,5 liters of it! buy 14 liters Shel Helix Ultra 0W60 or 10W60

Order also the cabin polen A/C Filter at same time
    You can Order the 2 Air Filters also

look for that in E-BAY

599 V12 is a Dry Sump ( Most of the oil is stocked inside an oil reservoir not in the sump under the engine) you need to drain both ...

1- unbolt the under engine protection plates
    2-Locate the oil reservoir ( engine under the bonet passenger side ) get all the oil from it out
    3-Locate the oil filter remove it (unbolting ) locate the engine sump drainage bolt (att it is aluminium bolt so be gentle ) remove "you should have a new one or at last order a new washer to put in when reinstalling the bolt back new bol is better and new washer... (e-bay)
    4- Reinstal new oil filter hand tightened
    5-reinstal the sump drainage bolt "aluminum" go easy ok be gentle ... (search for leaks after)
    6-Oil reservoir , Close de drain bolt back

Add oil only 9-10 liters of it to the reservoir OIL mesure

Start engine ... One second stop !!!
    Start engine 2/3 seconds STOP!!! ..... Now ! ok oil is there inside filter and inside "the veins" of the engine after being "pumped in" from oil reservoir.

START Engine normaly now ! And look for oil engine ligth alarm on dash to go off after 2 seconds. Run engine on idle ( If you use other oil than 0w60 shell specific oil oil alarm ligth can came on often in your dashboard ...
    Engine computer of the 599 only "likes" that 0W60 Shell synthetic oil 10W60...

After some minutes of working (10 -15) when engine is hot you can chek the engine oil level (need to add the extra oil i just said put in 9 liters instead inspect your work on drainage bolts looking for any oil leaks under the engine or from oil reservoir.

You can now add the extra oil from the initialy added 9-10 liters the 599 takes 12,5 liters

Check oil level with engine hot and working the oil level with 12 liters should be betwen the low and max oil marks when the engine is working

Bolt under engine protections

Check if your 2 air filters needed to be changed to new ones ( e-bay)
    Reinstal new polen filter under dasbord passenger side quite "a work" but you can do it

EVERY 3 YEARS
    You should pay attention that this car need gearbox fluid replacement every 3 years 75w80w
    You should change also F1 Hydraulic fluid for the hydraulic pumps/system operating the gears changing of your F1 Geabox every 3 Years SEE THE specific fluid ........... Hydraulic ATF 10 oil but synthetic
    You should change the rear transmission Fluid also every 3 Years 75W80

Jorge Cruz

Mattroot and mustafa birsesli like this.
  16. jorge da cruz

jorge da cruz Karting

Sep 4, 2015
    Luanda Angola
    Full Name:
    Jorge Da Cruz
    LOOK AFTER THEM
    UNDER ENGINE
    OIL RESERVOIR DRAIN BOLT

17. jorge da cruz

jorge da cruz Karting

Sep 4, 2015
    Luanda Angola
    Full Name:
    Jorge Da Cruz
    SEE MY POST BELOW

18. NoSpeedLimit

NoSpeedLimit Karting

Sep 6, 2013
    I have never seen a 0W60 oil.
    I just checked the Shell site: none
    For the 599 make 2010- : 5W40 alternative 10W60
    make 2007 - : 10W60

As far as I know the maximum spread in oil viscosities is 5W50.
    (recommended for the mercedes mclaren SLR)

19. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Don't forget to fill in the Petronas Tutela FVI Booster Oil.

Daniel

20. NoSpeedLimit

NoSpeedLimit Karting

Sep 6, 2013
    Since 599 made after 2010 can use an oil with a lower viscosity of 5W40 I don't understand, why a viscosity increasing additive should be added.
    That would possibly make a 10W60 oil from a 5W40. I think that the people in a lube oil laboratory know how to produce a very good oil.
    Adding an extra additive would be like trying to improve the food in a five star restaurant at your desk with your own spices.

mustafa birsesli likes this.
  21. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Adding the Tutela FVI Booster oil was instructed by Ferrari.
    My information is, that this additive was developed especially for the 599.

Daniel

22. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    That booster oil is designed to quiet the lifters on cold start-up.

23. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Use the correct oil Shell Helix 10W-60, and the Tutela Booster oil or you are asking for engine problems later on. The correct oil is cheap, a new motor is not.

mustafa birsesli likes this.
  24. jorge da cruz

jorge da cruz Karting

Sep 4, 2015
    Luanda Angola
    Full Name:
    Jorge Da Cruz
    Hi
    SORRY it is 10w60 The correct Oil From Shell