550 Tall man conversion? | FerrariChat

550 Tall man conversion?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by solly, Sep 29, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. solly

solly Formula 3

Jun 2, 2001
    Westchester NY
    Full Name:
    Dr. Steven S.
    I sold my 360 spider and now would like a front engine V-12. Never had one. Problem is I am 6'4" and 280 lbs. and I can barely squeeze into the driver's seat of a 550. My knees jam up against the underside of the dash. I can't get the seat far enough back to be comfortable. I have my heart set on a 550 because I want a manual shift.
    Does anyone know if there is any type of tall man conversion? I fit very comfortable in the 360, 430, and Dino 246. Plenty of legroom. I believe the last time I was in a 550 it seemed like the rear bulkhead was maybe an inch from the back of the driver's seat, with it all the way back.
    I need a 550!! Any comments/ideas would be welcome. Otherwise its an older 456 (manual), or newer 612 and live with the paddles.

2. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Assuming the seat fastening is the same as my 456: move the seal all the way forward and check the rear allen bolts. There are oblong washers that may be on the rear bolts. Remove the washers, and then reinstall the bolts. They should countersink into the seat rails and allow the seat to go back another 2" or so.

3. kaliforniakid

kaliforniakid Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2010
    sf bay area
    Full Name:
    erik
    hmm I'm a tad under 6'3 and leggy but fit really good in mine with the seat all way back. Maybe look into the suggestion above. How far back to you need to incline the seat for headroom? To the experts is there a difference between the daytona seat vs standard spec? The carbon seats might get more room too as they are thinner in section.

4. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
  5. solly

solly Formula 3

Jun 2, 2001
    Westchester NY
    Full Name:
    Dr. Steven S.
    No. Are the sports seats much thinner? I'd install a set if that is what it took. And I'll see if the dealer will remove the rear washers. 2 inches might make all the difference.

6. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    ". Problem is I am 6'4" and 280 lbs. and I can barely squeeze into the driver's seat of a 550. "
    I'm 6'3"+, 220 and long legged. I have to drive bare footed with my legs at an angle inorder to fit and drive comfortably in my 575. It takes a little time to settle in but then can drive for hours without problems. If you really, really want a Maranello, you will have to commit to significant weight loss, IMO.

davidoloan likes this.
  7. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    And maybe you could have a couple of inches taken out of each leg :)

8. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    I am not sure, but they certainly look like it. I would suggest you try to track one down and see if you fit.

9. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    One trouble is that sets of racing seats are very rare and very expensive. Plus with no ability to adjust the seat back, you lose some ability to adapt to a tall person by laying the seatback to the rear to gain head room.

10. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    " ability to adapt to a tall person by laying the seatback to the rear to gain head room."
    Really not much ability to adapt for tall people....I realized that I'm the meat sandwiched between a V-12 and a 29 gal gas tank and have to adapt my posture.

Steve

11. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

I've known folks who installed Sparco's in other cars to fit taller/larger people. Might be worthwhile checking out.

12. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    As far as I remember, the sports seats can be adjusted back and forth and the back reclines when turning a wheel on the inside (towards the center of the car). On my std 550, I found out that if I move the seat more forward and then recline the back, it gives me better space. Those seats also adjust up and down in the back and front so, front up, rear down is the trick...

13. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Not certain, but my understanding is that sports seats, while one-piece (so you cannot alter the angle between back and squab) can be tilted. The combined effect of tilting the seat back and raising the front of the squab, should help to deal with the issue of longer legs (without surgery :))

14. PRS Guitarist

PRS Guitarist Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2013
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I'm 6'4 225 and fit fine. I have about 3" of headroom and no problem with leg room with my seat all the way back. Not sure why you don't fit length wise.

15. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I am 6'5" 250 lb. I have the comfort seats. With the seat all the way back I fit OK, not super great. But I've always had to adapt to small cars: I had an MG-TD for a couple years.

I've been thinking about after market sport seats to get another inch or two.

16. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

I think Moorfan put Recaro's in his for the same reason. The Recaro's give more room for big & tall guys, and Sparco's give even more, especially for the XXL crowd who aren't necessarily 6'+, IIRC.

A lot depends on which mounting rails you use, too. IIRC Moorfan used the stock Ferrari rails and adapted the Recaro's to fit. Maybe he'll jump in & enlighten us.

17. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    You fit in a 360? And you’re saying a 550 is smaller? That seems strange.

18. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    He did say it was a spider :)

19. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    I'm 6'2" / 200lbs and fit with room to spare.

20. dadams73

dadams73 Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2012
    Ocean City NJ
    Full Name:
    Dean
    I'm 6'4" and 245lbs. Own both a 360'spider and 550 with Daytona seats, frankly I am more comfortable in the 550. Car fits me like a glove with just enough leg and headroom once seats are adjusted properly.

F456M likes this.
  21. jstar

jstar Karting

Aug 8, 2014
    up north
    Full Name:
    jstar
    I'm 6"6 295, the maranello is a reasonable fit for me but I'm actually more comfortable in the 355. The difference i think is the tall center tunnel stack that robs leg room. I briefly considered modifying the door card to remove part of the arm rest to add some room...

22. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Should be fine getting the seat rails lowered really. Tons you can do on the 550:

-Aforementioned sport seats, but really tough finding them...alternatives are sport seats from a 360 fitted (more of them around), or get a set of Sparco's (I think closest look to 575 seats is the R700, but need to double check) and getting them retrimmed. The original seats are TIR but I've not been able to find ANY information on this company.
    -Another option is proper race seats, they'll sit MUCH lower and be less comfortable for most, but for your height this is not necessary.
    -Custom seat rails. If no one but you will drive it get a set made that'll sit all the way to bulkhead and lower. Simplest solution if you ask me. I've had this done on my car (not a Ferrari unfortunately), about an inch lower and 1.5inch back and it created a ridiculous amount of space...first my knee was wedged between my steering wheel and doors now I don't even need the seat all the way back. Perfect
    -Smaller steering wheel. Another simple modification that's vastly underrated. Also a spacer. But you'll lose the airbag if that bothers you.

Spiders have less leg room due to the roof mechanism need folding up...Shaq had a few converted but also had the entire roofs removed lol

23. StartedFromTheBottom

StartedFromTheBottom Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 9, 2016
    Europe
    Wasn‘t able to follow the whole conversation but do the 575 carbon sport seats actually fit then in the 550? If yes with or without conversion? I might have a set left...

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

24. franschman

franschman Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2017
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Not so long ago a (pair of?) seat(s) appeared on ebay that belonged to Shaquille O'Neal's 456. I didn't have a 456 at the time; I always thought that if he fits in, I will too! But I'm 6'8" and with standard seats I don't fit comfortably. I should have bought the seat(s)!

However, only shoving the seat backwards is not the best solution. Idealy you should also move the pedals forward.

25. robert_fulton

robert_fulton Rookie

Apr 28, 2004
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Robert Fulton
    getta barchetta...