550 FHP Reproduction Package? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

550 FHP Reproduction Package?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by sherpa23, Jan 22, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mon the fish

Mon the fish Karting

Dec 27, 2013
    Anyone on here have a 550 FHP steering ECU spare?

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

2. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    Terry is there any difference between the 550's FHP steering ECU and the 575's FHP steering ECU?

Clyde

3. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    No

4. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    Out of curiosity, not to sound ignorant, but if as Terry says there is no such thing as a 575 FHP shock ECU, then how does one eliminate the "floatiness" or "porpoising" on the 575, is it just by replacing the springs? Surely it does not sound logical that the larger sway bar would affect that aspect of the car?

Clyde

5. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Philip is sending me his 575M's old standard shock ECU, which is for the Mannesmann Sachs shocks. We're going to try to take a look inside the bits & bytes and see what's going on. This is a standard 575M shock ECU, not the HGTC upgrade.

Terry was correct when he said there is no such thing as a 575M FHP Shock ECU. Only the 550's had FHP shock ECU's as options, and the 575M's had HGTC shock ECU's as options.

Both cars had the FHP Steering ECU as an option.......

Why did Ferrari change the name for the 575M's suspension upgrade to HGTC? Why didn't they just keep it as FHP? Who knows........ Perhaps unsuspecting owners would think it was the same shock ECU as the FHP for the 550 and try to plug it in?

Dave was referring to the possibility of cloning the 550's FHP Shock ECU for the Bilstein shocks. (FWIW Dave is a tenacious old f*rt, and hasn't given up on the possibility of cracking open the code on that ECU)

6. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    There is an upgraded shock ECU. From memory, p/n 205618. This replaced 183960 (I think it was) and several iterations between the two. I did not feel a lot of change from the ECU upgrade alone. The hgtc spec springs eliminated the porpoising.

FYI, when all is said and done, it does handle nicely and predictably when driven on the track. Not really in its element (weight, brakes) but pdg.

Philip

7. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    Thanks for the explanation John, which makes sense. I could be wrong but it was my understanding that Ferrari originally offered the FHP package when the 575 was originally released in 2002 (my year, though it doesn't have it), and then introduced the HGTC package to the 575 in late 2003 or 2004.

Clyde

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde

Thanks for this update Philip, it's quite interesting, and if so, it may be possible for MSW to replicate the updated shock ECU.
    I figured I would need to change the springs as well, I guess I'll wait until MSW offer their equivalents to the HGTC springs
    Clyde

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    John- Way more complicated than that. Best explained in my shock document, which I cannot access right now. The HGTC shock ECU is only compatible with post AN 52556 575Ms. Eric has been unable to crack the shock ECU so far. Complicated by the fact HGTCS received new shocks and mounts. HGTCs did not have the FHP or other unique steering ECUs.

10. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    agreed, although i think you can only do so much with elsie... she's big...has that big lump up front and undertired up front... and rear i guess...

i ran the pirelli corsas... loved them.

on a wide open track like road atlanta... the car excelled....

tight small track like barber.... not so much fun.

clyde - yes, AN

11. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Philip- The FHP rear anti-roll bar is 133% stiffer than OEM and the HGTC bar is only 73% stiffer. That moves handling more towards oversteer by quite a bit.

12. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Yep, I think that'd do it Terry.

13. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    This is good insight Henry. I was on the latter type of track. I am sure it's better in the high speed stuff.

I have Pirellis on my Maserti GS (DD). Love them. Conti's on the 575, not so much. Will opt for Pirellis next time.

I lparticularly like the last and first turns at RA.
    Philip

14. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Philip- The Michelin Pilot Super Sports are better than the Pirellis in nearly all measures.

15. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I have barely legal r888 on one 550 and they are sporty as you can get on the street. The other 550 has dw contis and they are the best compromise slorty streetcar tire I have ever had. I'm kinda spoiled. I have sets of tires around and my own tire changer and balancer.

16. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I'm ditching my Pilot Sports in favor of the DW's this fall. For the kind of car the 550 is, for all around driving, the Contis make the most sense.

17. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    a bit off but...

what does the FHP do to the 550 driving experience ? the 575 i get... it is a bouncy pig without....

18. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The steering ECU is a good thing, especially when its switchable. I don't think I would want stiffer springs and I'm sure I don't want a stiffer rear ASB.

I've had my fill of sport cars, now I want a GT car and the 550 is perfect for my needs.

19. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    It makes it a bit more sporty and a bit more unpleasant at the same time. The very cool thing about Ferrari suspensions is that they are extremely tunable. I got my own jeckl and hyde pair of 550's and once going very close to an all track set-up I am very happy to have the other stock 550 with OEM adjustable shocks. You can break the law in first gear in these cars and you don't need FHP to do it. FHP has a cool factor because it is a Ferrari OEM package. Aside from that you never need it for the street. I like the fact I can drive the stock 550 from LA to San Francisco and not feel like I just went 12 rounds with George Foreman.

On the 575 I think you are referring to porposing which is very easy to take out with just a spring change and simple chassis frequency calculation to get the front rear spring rates right. Ferrari might have got lazy thinking they could solve that issue with just the shocks as a bandaid but there are some with well tuned a$$-o-meters who cry foul. I could stop any non-FHP 575 from porposing with just a change of 2 springs.

20. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    I was previously told by John that the new Steering ECU that you offer is no longer a switchable unit as was originally offered, but would stay on 1 setting, have you updated it to be the switchable version again?

Clyde

21. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    I thought it was only new springs that would cure the bounciness of the 575, I don't understand how a sway bar would improve it? Can you explain?
    Clyde

22. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    Henry does this mean you are offering replacement Springs for the 575 which eliminate the bounciness and porpoising? That is the only thing I am really not satisfied with on my 575. I don't want the 575 to feel like a floaty American Car. If you don't offer the replacement springs yourself, can you tell us where we can get them? Also, why do you say that you only need to replace 2 springs to get rid of the bounciness instead of 4?
    Clyde

23. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i switched out to the HGTC springs and the FHP bar. HGTC bar was sold out. don't think the rear bar addresses the "purpoising" either way...

imho, the springs address 90% of the handling and frankly i think you need to do the suspension ecu's also.

i'm thinking the KV suspension kit is they way to go at this point versus factory ferrari parts and computers.....

24. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    not me. i am not in the parts biz...

25. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    Who are KV? Do you have their website address?

Clyde