456 Engine Noise | FerrariChat

456 Engine Noise

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by DrSheldonCooper, Oct 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DrSheldonCooper

Sep 6, 2016
    I was wondering how much top-end noise should emanate from a 456 engine. When mine is cold it's fairly quiet but 'busy' sounding which is perhaps no surprise with 48 valves. When hot however the noises are louder which I attribute to the oil being thinner at temperature.
    I'm wondering if the tappets/tappet guides are worn as the noises sound similar to those from the top end of my 1970 E-Type Jaguar which is also quiet when cold - I know that the tappet guides on this engine are a little worn.
    The 456 has done 59,000 miles. The noises can't be heard inside the car and are only really apparent when at a halt with the windows down.
    Am I worrying too much? the car goes extremely well!

2. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    I own a later model V-12 and have had issues twice with worn bearings in the cam belt spockets(?) that presented as a change in engine sound. I would have it checked out by a pro., you don't want to chance a catastrophic engine failure. Just my 2 cents from a non-expert.

Steve

addendum: "Am I worrying too much?" IMHO, with the heart stopping costs to fix these cars, you can't worry too much.

3. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Get a mechanic's stethoscope and see if that helps to pinpoint where the noise is coming from.

4. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    Doc, opposite experience here: some lifters noise when cold (which I suspect is fairly normal with most engines), but it all goes away once warm. I wouldn't call it "quiet", after all 12 cylinders and all related hardware do create a bit of a racket regardless of temperature, but the engine doesn't strike me as emitting any undue noise at operating temp.

5. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    Just checking, the 550s were apparently known for lifter noise cold because they are hydraulic, where as the 456 has solid lifters with shims.

6. philfrench

philfrench Karting

Jan 3, 2012
    France
    I also had twice issues with the same 170787 sooooo bad factory pulley bearings.

And bad noise too..

One set did about 200km and the other ...just a city travel !.

A bad play was found from the both half shaft of the pulley :and the noise was from these shafts

Hopefully the NTN japan made bearings 170787 sold by Hill Engineering do the work and the noise is now ok.

I think it is better to fix it immediately to prevent from wearing the shafts

I m mailing with the factory to explain them this problem found by a lot of users like Ricambi America himself.Thanks so much to him

For warning us this problem ...and selling Only the good 170787 bearings ..

7. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    I noticed a significant change in engine sound at 10,000 miles and half the balls were gone in the left side bearing. Recently, my wife said that the "F" car didn't sound quite the same, (I didn't hear any difference) and sure enough at the 104,000 mile service, both bearings were bad.

Steve