456 Auto Gear Box transmission problem | FerrariChat

456 Auto Gear Box transmission problem

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by HKFerrariLlover, Jul 22, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. HKFerrariLlover

Oct 11, 2009
    hello everyone,
    My 456 Auto Gear Box Transmission , when I pull it from P to R , it shakes very hard, then into N, shakes but not as bad, then in D, shakes very hard again, down to 3, 2, 1 is fine. Push is up to park, same thing happens. Any idea? At the same time,the ASR light comes on and cannot be shut off with the button, also the Transmission gear boxlight is on too. Tried turning off the car, pulled the battery and reset the computer, still the same. ASR and Transmission light will not go away, stays on. When driving from dead stop in D position, seems like I have to Rev is to 3000 RPM, before it will shift into higher gear, seems like it will only stay in 1st , is like is hestiating to shift up, is like something is holding back will not let the car go. never happen before.. only have about 30000km , last year when the car was still under extended warranty, had the transmission checked,and itwas perfectly fine. This all just happened suddenly, no pervious signs, drove the car for 1 hour, parked it, started it up, drove it for 5 mins, then suddenly happened! anyone have any idea what is going on? could it be some sensors? or the transmission? I have a feeling the transmission is fine, becuse is not slipping, it shifts into every gear, but just shakes very hard between P to D, the car moves, step onto the gas paddle it goes and it moves, just that is like something is holding it back.. someone please give me possibities on what could be happening!.... very confuse.............. Thank you everyone.........

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
  3. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    Sounds like the Torque Converter.

4. HKFerrariLlover

Oct 11, 2009
    where would that be located, by any chance you would have a part number or a diagram shows where it is? thanks

5. HKFerrariLlover

Oct 11, 2009
  6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #6 tazandjan, Jul 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Unfortunately, the 456 and 456M workshop manuals completely ignore the automatic trasmission. The parts catalog shows it, but only as a complete assembly plus cables, linkages, etc. 456 GTA on top, 456M GTA on the bottom. My first inclination is always to change the filter and fluid and see if anything is obviously amiss with those, but not sure it will do any good in this case.

Adrian is probably your best bet.

Taz
    Terry Phillips
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. 736973

736973 Karting

Nov 25, 2007
    I personally think it is something outside of the gearbox, what I mean is not within the transmission, could be some external problem such as loose wiring or bad sensors, well just guessing..

8. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Go for the cheap fix first always. Have someone competent take all the connectors loose and clean and spray with some of the magic stuff. Cannot hurt. See if it helps. When was the last time the filter and fluid were changed?

Adrian should be able to tell you which solenoids and sensors were fitted to the transmission. There is commonality with a GM transmission for some of those. Do a search here and in tech q&a for GTA transmission threads.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

9. HKFerrariLlover

Oct 11, 2009
    well, thank you everyone first! I will check all the basic things first, after i check all that if is still not working properly, where should I go next!

10. kidwhizz

kidwhizz Karting

Feb 16, 2008
    Cannot Stress highly enough to have a chat with Adrian as aforementioned. Highly recommended by myself in particular - very helpful indeed.

kindest regards Aamir.

11. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    Take the car to IMSS and let them sort it

12. HKFerrariLlover

Oct 11, 2009
    sorry, what I meant is what to look at next , what other things should I be checking if cleaning the connectors and checking all the wiring cannot slove the problem....

13. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    At that point, I think you need professional help. Most of our pros here do not do much work on the GTA trasmissions except routine maintenence.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

14. The355Guy

The355Guy Rookie

Oct 26, 2005
    Saint Louis
    Full Name:
    Matt
    That Transmission is a slightly modified GM 4T80-E which virtually every Cadillac from 1994-2004 used so parts are available. These gearboxes are quite reliable. Unfortunately it sounds as if your problem lies elsewhere.

15. 2DUCKS

2DUCKS Karting

Feb 20, 2006
    California
    Full Name:
    K
    Here is a simple thing to check.

Get an OBDII scanner. Reset the error codes for ASR + for the AutoTrans Failure light. Turn off engine. Restart engine to see if the ASR + AutoTrans failure light is still on the dashboard.

If the light is NOT on, shift from P to D to 3, 2 ,1 to see if symptoms exist.

16. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Without an OBDII scanner, you may be able to do the same thing by just turning off the battery switch, leaving it overnight, reconnecting in the morning, and see what you have after restart and driving gently for a while.

Taz
    Terry Phillip

17. HKFerrariLlover

Oct 11, 2009
    Ok, so what we did was we unpluged and cleaned all the connectors to the transmission, the Transmission and ASR light went off, we drive it for around 40 minutes, suddenly both lights came back on again went I was travelling at around 20 kms. During this 40 mins, I drove the car normally, tried shifting gears, went all the up up to 120km, everything was perfect. So after that I had to drive the car back to my gargage, during the trip back which is about 15 mins, I realized I am still able to drive the car, the only problem is just that when I step onto the gas paddle, from a dead stop, i have to rev it to almost 3000 rpm before it will change up a gear, is like is stuck in frist or second gear, whatever the car is suppose to start from. it will even shift to 3rd or 4rd when I am willing to step onto the gas, but between each shifts, the car would really really shake, is like something is holding it back won't let it shift up naturally. especially sfifting from D to R or P, the whole car would shake quite abit. when is passing through R, it will definatelly shake.

So after I arrived back at the gargage, I unpluged the battery to let the car reset the computer over night. The next day, Started up the car, both lights are gone again. took it out for 5 mins, again both lights as expected came back on. but I still drove the car for another 15 mins, even when both the lights are on, the car when is in a normal gear driving, everything seems fine, except for the fact there is something holding back the gears from shifting up.

So, now the situation is : I think the transmission unit itself should be fine, not the clutch disc, is not slipping, the gearbox should also be OK beacuse when the lights are gone, the car drives perfectly. what I am thinking should be some wiring or sensors, But then of cause I am not sure if it would be the Solenoid inside the transmission that's causing the problem. vert very confuse, When do you guys think? also with the OBII machine, this is not the one ferrari uses, i think there are some code we cannot see here with the machine that i am using, it will show cannot connect or some code that starts with I think 6......

any ideas?

18. HKFerrariLlover

Oct 11, 2009
    well, this morning started up my car again after disconnecting the battery from last night, as expected again, the ASR and transmission lights disappeared. Took it out for a drive, supprisingly this time they didn't come on until an hour later. But the wierdest thing is that this time the transmission shifted really smooth shifting from D to R to P, it wasn't shanking in anyways even with the lights on, and the drove very nicely. And now I can sum up that by disconnecting the battery for a period of time, it will reset the computer and everything will go back to normal. But after 30 mins to an hour, the ASR and transmission lights will for sure come back on. So now I am thinking, it must be some sensors, am I right??????? If it is , any clue on which sensor ot sensors it would be? Hope some of you can help me, million thanks in adavance...............

19. 736973

736973 Karting

Nov 25, 2007
    from what it looks like, I would check the speed sensor just incase. Honestly, I think the problem that you are having is quite complicated, the warning lights they go on and off all the time, but as you have mentioned, the car drives fine when they are off, could also be the ECU or loose wiring connections......

20. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    Your transmission should be getting two signals to upshift: one from the rpm of the engine and the other from the intake manifold vacuum.
    From your description it sounds to me that your transmission after a while shifts only when the rpm climb up and it does not get the input from the vacuum in the intake manifold.
    This could be due to a vacuum leak in the intake manifold that is only present as the engine warms up.
    Another possible symptom of a vacuum leak could be a high rpm idle after the engine warms up, which would also cause the shaking of the transmission when you shift from neutral to a gear.
    Check or have someone check the intake manifolds carefully and anything that connects to them.

21. HKFerrariLlover

Oct 11, 2009
    #21 HKFerrariLlover, Aug 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    can you please give me some ideas of which part in the diagram should I be after first? I think I understand what you are saying , but can you please make it little bit more easier for me so I could narrow down my search............. thank you so much......

22. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    Hi, let me first say that I am not an expert of your transmission, but I had cars with automatics in the past and one of them had similar problems, from time to time, so I am drawing my wisdom from that experience.
    Anyway, from the drawing you have posted I would suggest to check the following items:
    - gaskets 11 should be tight and properly seated: make sure they are all in one piece.
    - plenums 5 should be tight, with all the screws in place
    - screws 14 should all be in place and tight
    - tubing 47, 48, 9, should be without cracks and their ends tightly attached
    If you have access to the service history of the car check what kind of work they did on it: if they did something requiring the removal of the intake manifolds, then you know the problem has to be there somewhere.
    I was talking to the mechanic I use from time to time and according to him, the 456 and 550 rarely have vacuum leaks, unlike the 612 that seems to be more prone to this problem. So I guess you may be the exception.
    Good luck with your search and arm yourself with patience.
    Alfredo

23. HKFerrariLlover

Oct 11, 2009

checked everything, tightened up all the hoses and both the transmissionand ARS light went away for 2 to 3 weekswith no problems. Drove perfectly. Suddenly last night as I was driving, after about 25mins, both the lights came on again. Shutted the car off, turned it back on after 1 hour, it was ok..... 20 mins , same thing happened, buy just like before I was able to drive the car, but is like it is stuck in 2 gear having a real hard time shifting up. exactly what happened previously. what I found is everytime after the lights come on, shut the car down for 20 mins or so, both the lights will go away,but always come back on after the engine warms up....any ideas anyone.............????

24. Dfender

Dfender Karting

Sep 23, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Hi

Have you been able to fix your problem? What was it?
    Thanks Eric

25. nigelthomas1310

nigelthomas1310 Karting

Jun 3, 2008
    South Wales UK
    Full Name:
    Nigel Thomas
    Hi,

what was the outcome...i have a similar problem, but with no lights indicating an issue...

"violent" jerks on N to D or R, no upchange at all....will not change up under any circumstances....high revs or speed or throttle position....