430 spider or Carrera GT? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

430 spider or Carrera GT?

Discussion in '360/430' started by sunline, Oct 18, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 996TTurbo

996TTurbo Formula 3

Apr 9, 2006
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Martin
    LOL again, just because the price, they still arent in the same league IMO!

CGT for me against almost any car out there, Scuderia vs GT2 is more like it!

2. nberry

nberry Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003

Having driven and rode in the CGT on more occasions than I can remember, I couldn't agree with you more. Though a phenomenal performance car, the CGT tends to bite you when you don't expect it. You literally are playing Russian roulette when driving the car. Applying inappropriate throttle at the wrong time will send you in the the weeds or worse, kill or injure you. It is a car for Walter Roehl to own and drive, not amateurs.

However, I will say that though I own a 430 Spider and love it, is not in the same league as the CGT when it comes to performance. Regarding resale value, the CGT has stabilized but I believe it will continue its downward spiral when the warranty expires. Also, the GT2 which can be had for $200,000 less, is as fast as the CGT and has a new four year warranty.

3. RufMD

RufMD F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 31, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Jas

russian roulette ? LOL ! the sky is falling the sky is falling !

same old tune.....surprised it took you this long to show up.

4. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac

5. zippyslug31

zippyslug31 Formula 3

Sep 28, 2007
    PDX
    Full Name:
    Kevin M.
    I just love how a site dedicated to Ferraris can give the nod to a different make.

Inspires confidence in the population here that you guys aren't just a bunch of single-minded, unrealistic types with blinders on.

I mean, to me, the GT is obvious, but it's just nice to see that confirmed here; I wouldn't think you'd get the same responses on other "dedicated forums". It would likely just turn into rant session on the particular vehicle just to save face.

Way to be open minded and true to the nature of sports cars, regardless of make, guys!

6. Tipo815

Tipo815 F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey

7. Tipo815

Tipo815 F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    Sounds like the old Porsche Turbos from the '80s or the F40 ...

8. RufMD

RufMD F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 31, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Jas
    Originally Posted by nberry
    ... the CGT tends to bite you when you don't expect it. You literally are playing Russian roulette when driving the car. Applying inappropriate throttle at the wrong time will send you in the the weeds or worse, kill or injure you ...

Wouldn't applying "inappropriate throttle at the wrong time" be problematic in ANY car ? Thank you for clarifying that driver error is the predominant cause for most accidents. I think the last year has demonstrated as many enzo crashes as CGT ones...no one questions the stability of that car.

classic case of ferrari coloured glasses.

9. Tipo815

Tipo815 F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    Well said ... :)

10. supraman55

supraman55 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2006
    Full Name:
    Vladislav
    Disagree:

http://www.dupontregistry.com/autos/Search/DRauSearchDetails.aspx?itemid=389553

http://www.dupontregistry.com/autos/Search/DRauSearchDetails.aspx?itemid=234234

BOTH are beautifull and well UNDER $400K. For up $400K going only new GT's, such as this:

http://www.dupontregistry.com/autos/Search/DRauSearchDetails.aspx?itemid=406705

And such mileage F 430 spiders are still going well up $340K and with some 1000-2500 miles for $320-330K.

It is very sad that such masterpiece as CGT is depreciating so extremaly fast. It is really ENZO level car. CGT cannot be compared to F430 Spider or Coupe, there are different leagues cars.

11. alexkam

alexkam Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Sunny CA
    Full Name:
    Alex

pics please

12. RufMD

RufMD F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 31, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Jas

Disagree :

check the all the listings in autotrader for available f430 spiders in the USA....many more spiders less than 300k than above. If you have one and are concerned about losing money, now is the time to dump it. If you just want to enjoy a great car, don't worry about it and drive ! But don't be under the illusion that 300k+ prices will be around for much longer.

As far as CGT's, I can only tell you that from personal experience trying to source low mileage CGT's for serious buyers, 400k or therabouts is the number.

13. StoryBook

StoryBook F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 1, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    MPL
    Absolutely agree with this. Have spent the last month hunting for one with a buddy.

14. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    Here's how I see it. Anyone who is seriously considering both cars, (and seriously is the operative word here, because the CGT is a handful for an inexperienced driver,) and opts for the 430 - that person should have the word "SCHMUCK" tatooed on their forehead.
    Just because the greater market doesn't value the CGT appropriately is no reason to believe that a V8 Ferrari that is close in value is anywhere near close in performance.

There was a time in the early part of 1993 that the last few F40's were sitting on dealer showroom floors not attracting a bid because of the same BS about being impossible to drive.

15. azew

azew Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2006
    New York
    I liked your post and was trying to just add some granularity after thinking of the valid points you made.

16. azew

azew Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2006
    New York
    "Significant irresponsible behaviour?" - by whom? Ever drive a CGT? Ever drive one on one a crowded road at low speed when the tires are not warm and some person not paying cuts right into your lane?

17. RufMD

RufMD F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 31, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Jas
    2 factors here....tires not warm, and behavior by another driver you could not control. Net result, your impersonation of a road ballerina. I always take it easy on cold tires and allow things to warm before putting it, or the F40, or the CS/GT3 through "vigorous" manouvers. Your experience of spinning on cold tires is not exclusive to the CGT...coould happen with any car.

The point is, if your experience was CGT exclusive, more owners would be complaining about it. The only one (in all seriousness) I have heard voice such complaints, is you. A lot of people found these cars too raw too drive, and ended up switching to something softer. No problem with that...the F40 is not for everyone either.

18. supraman55

supraman55 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2006
    Full Name:
    Vladislav

Sorry if I am not correct. Of course you know American market better. I am not an american, was just doing a little research on dupontregistry. Of course buying F430 Spider or coupe it dosnt matter is losing VERY BIG BUCKS, because F430 successor is very very very close future. Only 430 which will not be depreciating for long time is 430 Scuderia, other 430's in year 2008 or 2009 will become part of Ferrari fast depreciating history.

19. Tipo815

Tipo815 F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    Fast depreciating history? History shows that the 360 held it's value very well until recently. Alot of the recent depreciation is due to our economy and not the cars themselves. 308s, 328s, 348s, and 355's are all holding their values well. I don't think you can say that F430s will "become part of Ferrari fast depreciating history." Used cars with low miles are still selling for sticker! Ferraris here in America are collectible to many and hold their values better than almost any other car.

20. vipermann123

vipermann123 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2005
    Irvine, Ca
    Full Name:
    Uzy Malik
    I have to agree with Jeffery on this one.

F430 prices are coming down not becasue of the car, but because of the state of the economy.
    Housing prices are cooling, and money is getting tighter.
    In addition, winter is approaching and holidays coming up so car sales are slowing down overall.

Ferrari will always remain the most deseriable name plate in terms of "overall desire" and holding it's value.

Thanks,
    UZY

21. nberry

nberry Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Not at all. Because of the CGT weight and hp(610) it makes it much morre vulnerable to losing the rearend as many single car accidents have demonstrated. The 996Gt2 has be described in British car magazines as a widow maker because of its power to weight ration and no stability devices. That had 470hp and is heavier than the CGT. Thankfully, the 997GT2 with 530hp has PSM and interestingly as fast as the CGT.

It is Russian roulette. I cannot imagine anyone taking a wife or child for a spirited ride in that car. The only reason there have not been more CGT crashes is because with the notoriety of all the previous crashes, CGT owners are very careful driving the car. A tragic waste of money.

22. stan996turbo

stan996turbo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Research the price to replace the clutch, I've read it's 20-25K. I would assume there are other parts to the car that are also well above standar exotic to fix. Otherwise it's a very attractive car.

Stan

23. cig1

cig1 F1 Rookie

May 3, 2005
    In front of you
    Oil change .... $900

G

24. W. MITTY

W. MITTY Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2005
    Having just finished the purchase of an '07 430 Coupe after an exhaustive search and several cross country trips, I would NOT agree with a general statement that F430 prices are "coming down", at least not on cars that have significant warranty time left. I did, however, notice that '05 cars nearing the end of the warranty period were more reasonable than any other 430 on the market. However, if anyone can show me an '07 Coupe for sticker or less, I will eat my head as Dickens would say. Maybe when we say that "prices are coming down" we should qualify it by saying that the premium over sticker is now coming down on the early cars. This seems to be particularly true of the heavy premiums the Sypders were drawing.

Having said that, I have heard several anecdotal accounts of private sellers who are having trouble finding buyers for the F430. Whether this translates to a lower eventual sales prices has yet to be seen. It is hard to establish a clear pattern of value when there are so few cars being sold by private sellers (at least in comparison to mass produced vehicles).

25. BCS

BCS Karting

Aug 28, 2007
    NJ/NY
    Full Name:
    Bill
    where in NJ?