400 convertible conversions at auctions | FerrariChat

400 convertible conversions at auctions

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by bitzman, Aug 28, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    #1 bitzman, Aug 28, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I am writing a story on why the 400 convertibles should be accepted into the fold (allowed at concours or even have a class created for them)
    After all Ferrari converted two of them which must mean they liked the idea. For this I need ref. to auctions that advertised them so I can find a picture. I was a little shocked in retrospect to see B-J sold one for only $27,500 in 2012 but that was five years ago, they must be higher by now....how could they be priced lower than a BMW 7-series convertible?

Anybody have an opinion to who built the best ones? I drove a Sheldon Brooks one for a whole day and loved it, dark blue, out of Santa Monica.

I presume Straman built them better but am open to opinions.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. scs550

scs550 Rookie

Dec 25, 2012
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Sven
    #2 scs550, Aug 29, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well, I am certainly biased here, but I would vote for Carrozzeria Pavesi having built the best Convertibles of the Ferrari 400. Why?

Lets start out with the obvious ones:
    - When open, the top is no bulk
    - The tonneau cover does not block the rear side windows, so you can open/close them with the top lowered (unlike on the red car pictured or on a Straman)
    - The raised top does not look ungainly (in my opinion)
    - The inner top is covered, so none of the mechanics are visible. There even is a rear reading lamp in the top.

And now lets look into a few more details:
    - unlike all other convertible conversions of the 400 that are known to me, Pavesi did the effort and enlarged the front quarter windows to fit flush in a straight line with the top of the A-pillars. Everyone else just left the quarter window alone, so the elegance is lost where the top of the quarter window touches the A-pillar.
    - Pavesi did fit all individual side glass so the top can have a sportier (less square look)
    - don't know if the others did that as well - but on my car the electric top is connected to the handbrake so cannot be operated unless the handbrake is pulled.
    - for the rear side windows, Pavesi lengthened the original centre console and installed the same switches that Ferrari used so it looks like factory standard
    - subjectively, the scuttle shake is very limited though I would guess considerable weight has been added in the chassis

Alright, so much for my belated advertising about the virtues of the Carrozzeria Pavesi convertible ;-). As far as I know, 18 have been built, in the early-mid 80s.

3. Mmckee

Mmckee Formula 3
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2016
    Alta Loma, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I want one.

4. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I think Ferrari missed an opportunity in not offering these cars and the 365GTC4 as convertables. Both look great in this configuration.

5. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I h ave seen them top up and top down and they morph into looking like a 1970s Firebird without the graceful metal roofline and downward sweeping reck deck. I think value wise, the 400-based convertible conversion will be worth more. I have also seen a GTC/4 targa conversion (at a long gone dealer in Marina Del Rey) and that preserves more the original shape but still delivers open air driving so I don't that that detracts too much, and you could always weld it up again in a single day back into a fixed roof coupe!

6. Choptop400

Choptop400 Karting

Oct 10, 2014
    Huntington, NY
    Full Name:
    Frank L Caponi
    I think Carrozzeria Pavesi convertibles our the second best conversions. SCS550's 400i is beautiful and the color combo spot on. As the owner of 17675, I could be a little bias in my opinion, lol. 17675 is well documented on Ferrari Chat, plenty of pictures as well of general comments from members who were not able to see 17675 in person. The conversion was done in 1980 in Germany by an engineer firm whose name escapes me. I think we can all agree that the Germans my not have the flair of the Italians but you can not question their engineering. The top is powered using hydraulic rams and works as design. The best part is the top folds completely below the bodyline and is hidden by a custom fiberglass locking cover. To the Nay Sayers, the frame is reinforce all over the place, maybe more than was necessary. Just return from another 1000Km trip with my wife. The Ferrari ran like a true stallion with out a single hiccup, funny thing the tolls were almost as much as the gas.