360 dash lights | FerrariChat

360 dash lights

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by witkop69, Sep 20, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. witkop69

witkop69 Rookie

Aug 19, 2013
    The lights for the spedo/rev counter have died, think this is a fairly common issue. Anyone have any wise solutions or is it a hunt for a repalcement unit?

2. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    First, check that the dimming is not set to 0.
    If not, at best the electroluminescent panel has failed, worst case is that the DC/DC inverter (which provides the high voltage to the electroluminescent panel) is at fault. I have seen 2 dash in this later case.

Both failures can be repaired, no need for a replacement unit.

3. witkop69

witkop69 Rookie

Aug 19, 2013
    I had a reputable mechanic work on it the passed months. It would work for a period of time then die again. I heard there is someone in the UK who can fix this, would be usefull to find out who can repair this or send me the parts to sort myself

4. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    imahorse likes this.
  5. sierra055

sierra055 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 25, 2016
    Melbourne, AU
    Full Name:
    Marshall
    Francorchamps of America (FAI) seem to have a good reputation for Ferrari electronic repair services and I've bought one of their EL panels, though they are obviously not located in UK

Rojo likes this.
  6. Gcolella

Gcolella Rookie

Jul 30, 2017
    New york
    I recently purchased a 2001 360 that had this problem . The dealer sent out the dash cluster to the above company and had it repaired and shipped back within a week time . Price was around $600 I think. No problems since dash lights up nice now !

7. witkop69

witkop69 Rookie

Aug 19, 2013
    thanks, I have dropped them a mail

8. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

Eric, i can't understand this picture

are you saying the capacitor on the duct tape is bad and once replaced the dash is good?

9. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    On this one, the transformer and the 2 transistors (on the duct tape) had failed. The PCB tracks needed also some repair.
    I have repaired 2 dash which were more or less in this case. The transformer is getting too hot and is a weak point.

10. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

I have tachometer and speedometer light out. Other lights such as fuel level are fine.
    I also observed LOUDER-THAN-USUAL low-frequency buzz when I turn on ACC.

What's your guess on this?

is the the EL panel or the transformer , or both?

11. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    What do you mean by ACC ?
    Is the buzz coming from the dash ?

12. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

ACC is when you put the key in the hole, and turn it so that the car was powered.

yes, the buzz came from the dash.

There is a faint buzz on my other 360 but this one is so loud that you know there's a problem.

13. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

how do I test if the transformer is ok? there are 6 paws

14. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    Coils resistances (DCR) are indicated below :
    (pins 1, 2 & 3 are facing the transistors)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

thank you eric, I need to unsolder the transformer for the multimeter test, yes?

16. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    You can start looking for an open coil without removing it. If you want accurate resistance measurements, yes, it must be removed.
    To unsolder the transformer you will have to dismantle the dash to have access to the rear face of the PCB. Much easier to cut its pins without removing the PCB (as on the picture in post #4), then to resolder it, or a new one.

17. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

thanks again. On a second thought, wouldn't a bad transformer disable all lights including fuel level and the multi-functional window?

18. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    No, the DC/AC inverter supplies only the electroluminescent panel.
    Other lights are LEDs which are not connected there.

19. jlf45

jlf45 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Carbondale IL
    Full Name:
    John L Foster
    Recently acquired a 2001 Ferrari 360 Spider and found that the instrument panel back lighting does not work. That led me to this thread. I seem to have common symptoms. Instrument needles light up fine but get an X on the control panel when trying to adjust the lighting. Fuses check out OK. I later removed the instrument panel, disassembled it and replaced the back light panel strip with a new one. But still no backlighting and still the X on the control panel.

I think the DC AC Inverter is the most likely culprit at this point. Have looked at the diagram and photo pasted in this thread and it appears that part # YN92280 is the correct replacement. Part is not available through regular Ferrari parts dealers, but several links to it pop up on Google. Is this the correct part? Does it pop into the back of the instrument panel or soldering required. (I didn't think to look when I had the instrument panel out and disassembled.)

Thank you for any assistance.

20. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    Yes, YN92280 is the correct reference for the transformer. It must be soldered on the printed circuit board.
    Very often, when the transormer has failed, the 2 transistors must also be changed.

21. jlf45

jlf45 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Carbondale IL
    Full Name:
    John L Foster
    Thank you very much for the information Eric. Am now thinking best idea is to pull the instrument panel and ship it to a professional shop for whatever repair needed. Could plug a new part into a circuit board certainly. But this sounds more involved. Thanks!

22. Stammler

Stammler Rookie

Aug 6, 2017
    Sweden
    You can repair it. Buy a new “LED film” and replace it. 2-3hours of labour and you are done. I think it costs 165£. I got it from a company in GB.
    www.elpanelandtape.co.uk

23. Stammler

Stammler Rookie

Aug 6, 2017
    Sweden
  24. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    For anyone interested in maybe having "extras" on hand of this transformer, I poked around a few months ago and the only place I could find supply was through and electronics broker, didn't seem to have any luck with the big guys...Mouser, etc. The minimum purchase was 10 at like $28 a pop. Seems expensive but brokers have you by the nuts if you can't find the part elsewhere. Maybe a group buy.

Image Unavailable, Please Login