360 CS Exhaust By-Pass | Page 4 | FerrariChat

360 CS Exhaust By-Pass

Discussion in '360/430' started by thomas_b, Jan 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bumboola

bumboola Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2003
    Wow, that thing is a work of art, but I don't like the sound either.

If we could get it to sound like a 355 w/Tubi, I'd be one happy camper.

2. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Are you saying its for sale??
    If so, pics and price?
    If not, stop being a tease! ;)

3. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    ! Sorry !

It's not for sale, but FYI it cost about $5500 Aus to build. I'm not interested in selling it or any other, but I am happy to pass on what the team learned from it's experiments and testing.....for free.

I can't do photo's, too busy, but it is a one piece system from the manifolds back. No brackets, just connects directly to the gearbox.

Any experienced fabricator at a race/exhaust shop could build one, given a few pointers. We have a jig for alignment, but if you left your car with the guy (trustworthy!), it would be even better.

Nascar use quite good exhaust technology, and the fabrication work I've seen was first class. See if a top team is near you, and bribe the fabby to build one after hours...........

4. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    yes - the X or an H is the way to go - I was trying to figure this out - if you look at the pictures of the Titanium exhaust they do the same - it would be great if you could give us your design parameters if possible!

I bought a second CS exhaust as master and I am willing to give it to a shop

happy to drive the construction on my side

the weight you mentioned troubles me a little bit it is heigher than the Tubi CS - any reasons for that? - how is the silence constructed?

5. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    I hooked up today with the Eisenhaus (http://www.eisenhaus.com/) folks today and did get more details:

- the exhaust includes the cats, i.e. the by-pass cuts out cat & muffler!!!!
    - there is one connector for an oxygen sensor
    - exhaust has a x-over to balance backpressure
    - the tips are made form aluminum so that the don’t discolor
    - they claim to have done extensive testing and even installed in a 360 CH
    - unfortunately I did not get any weight numbers :)

it seems that some serious thinking has gone into the design and construction looks perfect – considering that the exhaust system includes muffler and cats the price becomes more explainable (still scary)

one area that worries me is the by-pass and the impact on the oxygen sensor/ECU – the typical Eisenhaus installation in a 360 Modena has a switch – in the Stradale the ECU will constantly switch the valves – will the computer be able to adapt to the different conditions (i.e. increased flow / backpressure)

Eisenhaus would be also willing to look into s special design for me or a group of people based on the CS exhaust system – 4/6 weeks turnaround time; they would keep my spare CS exhaust

We also talked about the GruppeM Carbon airbox (http://gruppemna.com/index.php) – a surprising claim for me was that the airbox has a second intake on the right side, which opens into the engine bay!? – the air filters are actually the round shapes right before the MAF sensors, i.e. no air filter cover boxes – the filters are cone shaped K&N’s – the heat shield is titanium – price $1900 which is hard to beat

What worries me with the air filter design is that they are at a point of higher air velocity and that the air filter cover boxes does not act as a volume buffer anymore

6. bumboola

bumboola Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2003
    Thomas,

I only heard the video you provided when I initially responded. Now that I have heard the videos on the track, at full throttle, I am a LOT more interested. It sounds incredible, a nice high pitch more like a 355. I have exactly the same concerns as you do about the ECU interacting with the exhaust. The cats are by-passed as well as the muffler at full-throttle, correct? A custom build for the CS would be perfect.

I don't like the GruppeM airbox, seems to be a poor design. Will the Ti heat shield work with the stock airbox?

Paul

7. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    A custom CS exhaust would be only the muffler plus pipes in titanium using their by-pass valve etc. Maybe we can add an H connection between the two sides (don’t think a X merge would fit; need to see ferrarifixer’s design) but that is it – main goal would be to reduce weight - we still would have to figure out how to replace the cat's with more free flowing ones ~$3000

The kreissiege exhaust would replace the cats with free flow ones and add the complete by-pass of the cat & muffler in race mode – we are talking increased HP in this case. If one would go for the stainless steel one - $7000+ - you are actually talking about a reasonable price – I am getting more and more attracted to the idea

The questions I need answers for are:
    - weight – we have to compare it against CS muffler + cat
    - how does the ECU react to switching of the by-pass
    - how to avoid problems caused by the missing rear oxygen sensor, i.e. what is their solution – I do not want to mess around with the ECU or use an emulator

considering the price I also would need some better assurance about noise level and HP gains with a CS

8. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    The weight of my exhaust includes the whole system to the manifolds. If you add the weight of CS silencer system and all brackets and mounts etc to the cats or test pipes, I'd imagine it would be more than 12kg, but not sure.

My 8kg system makes a huge difference. When fitted in place of a standard 22kg system, the 14kg rear overhang loss changed the handling balance of the car, for the better.

Unfortunatley, the engine vibrations make it a "qualifying only" system. It tends to crack after 30 laps or so, especially as it has been raced and nudged a few times too. A bit more engineering would fix it though, but things have moved on now within the team, so it's unlikely to happen. We do race with a 10kg hybrid version though.

The 12kg system is bomb proof, which is why it was sold to a private user.

9. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    8kg is brutal compared to 22kg - I can believe that you feel the weight difference

all the numbers we had are without the cat’s – don’t know what the weight of the cat is – can someone put the 360 cat’s on a scale?

What is the point of failure in the 8kg system, i.e. is some of the mechanical stress come from the crossover? Did you enlarge the pipe size?

10. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
  11. joey360

joey360 Rookie

Jan 31, 2012
    I just put in a tubi exhaust in my 2001 spyder , it wasn't bad at all , but some one told me I have to revamp it , in detail what dose that mean ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk