355 console switch disassembly and bulb change | FerrariChat

355 console switch disassembly and bulb change

Discussion in '348/355' started by vincentf355, Oct 12, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vincentf355

vincentf355 Rookie

Feb 24, 2010
    Full Name:
    vincent tseng
    Dome light switch backlight failed. Switch is disassembled by pulling the cap off. Now I know! Inside are a 3mm green LED bulb and a resistor.

Original bulbs of instrument cluster, third brake, HVAC I have ever worked are all incandescent, not LED. Why?

LED is replaced while keeping the resistor. It is the negative side of LED that resistor should connect to.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Considering the car's age, these cars were probably in the transition phase from incandescents to LEDs. Perhaps they weren't so cheap back in those days. Also, as you can see, older LEDs require resistors (otherwise they will blow with 12V applied to them), so there is a space and manufacturing complication consideration. There were no plug-in, 12v-compatible LEDs in those days, so, for simplicity, they stuck to incandescents, especially in the instrument binnacle.

LEDs will normally outlive incandescents, but they are not always 100% reliable over the life of the car. I'd rather change a non-polarity sensitive bulb than get out a soldering iron in a confined space.

Hope this makes sense
    Cheers

3. vincentf355

vincentf355 Rookie

Feb 24, 2010
    Full Name:
    vincent tseng
    Thanks for the explanation.

4. vincentf355

vincentf355 Rookie

Feb 24, 2010
    Full Name:
    vincent tseng
    It turned out to be a inconsistent color tone.
    [​IMG]
    A green bulb cover is added. OK now.
    [​IMG]