348 ECU Chip removal | Page 2 | FerrariChat

348 ECU Chip removal

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 3forty8, Dec 7, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    #26 davehelms, Dec 9, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
    Oh.... I guess.... if the shoe fits and the bolt slides in...

German, Swedish.... ok. Korean and US..... if you must. FRENCH?.... why not, they brought us the LeCar and the 348 cam chain tensioners after all..... just down the road a piece from the Red Sled factory, how bad can it be? This sounds nothing short of the English 1940's tractor out next to my barn but I drew the line at French parts. Too long of a walk through rattlesnake areas to get back to the house from the north pasture.

I am going to go toes up before Ernie finishes this project....

2. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Taking odds bets here and now. What happens first:

1. Ernie finishes project with the cholo-348 (long shot)
    2. Helms actually inventories the contents of his garage and pasture (see 1)
    3. The Stooge 358 project actually turns a few hot laps on a local race track (even money)
    4. Chubba converts his 550 to track duty (strong odds)
    5. Goth finally breaks down and buys the 348 he's always lusted for (long shot)
    6. Plugz finally finds that 355 6-speed trans he transplants into "franken-348"
    7. Eric finally gets some decent wheels for his 348.

3. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    1 In my lifetime?
    2 Nil
    3 Towed behind what?
    4 No brainer
    5 Cruel
    6 He will have enough of that if the 358 ever turns a wheel
    7 I was going to send him a spare set that matches the 358 but he would have to knock the flairs out a good bit.

4. 3forty8

3forty8 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 25, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Eric
    That would be a bad bet. I just blew the budget this month trying to keep the darn cat alive, which my two daughters adore so putting down was not an option. So no new wheels for me for Christmas, lol!

I've often thought how great the 348 would look with the fenders flaired out like the 288 gto. :D

5. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    I remember doing the same with a Chinchilla or some little fuzzy rat thing... sometimes you just gotta do it. I did pull the Vet aside when the kids left the room and gave him direct DNR orders but paid a dear price for that thing to lay on a hot water bottle for a week.

You know.... we could take the IMSA spares and build up a full blown sleeper car for your touring pleasure. It could be done before the Bruce and Vince show's project made stink. Ernie doesnt need any of it because his car is now fully sorted and running smooth with no CEL's. He did call yesterday wanting to know where his shipment of headlights and marker light bulbs was.... something about making it better yet before the headers. I dunno, I just listen and try to mentally picture a red, hotrod Volvo powered something another....

Big cams, wide wheels, huge brakes, lumber truck sway bars, we could screw up a perfectly good 348 just for the heck of it now that you have experienced it running nicely for a while.

6. 3forty8

3forty8 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 25, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Eric
    You've made my 348 as reliable as my daily driver - I mean, where is the fun in that, knowing I can start it up and drive it for a thousand miles without a hiccup? It feels like it's time to mess something up.

7. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    #32 davehelms, Dec 13, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
    Time to mess up a perfectly good 348, no sense in allowing things to get boring...

If you get a move on you could bring this full circle ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neYftx37X_s ) and make it run that way on purpose. Ernie would be peein' blood! This engine is on the way out of the car now... we could just.....

8. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Any chance of you getting a video of that going down the straight, at full song, next time you have it on track Dave? I can only imaging the noise. It must sound so awesome.

9. chas-3

chas-3 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 28, 2009
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    Ummm . . . gee Dave, I hope you meant ". . .you really can feel it at idle, its that smooth all the way to redline." ;)

With this crazy warm December weather, I'm planning on driving the 348 in to work tomorrow.

10. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Nope. This one is at 5.75 hrs run time, all used up and ready for a freshen. Once fresh it will go in a box and we will play with the Enduro engine for a while.... I want something at least slightly streetable. I just got off the phone with Sy, this week Raj and himself are start up on his project again.

With Plugzit/Vince, Sy, Eric and myself.... yours might be the only one that idles and runs on pump fuel.

11. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Pretty nice driving weather today! We just put a friend on a plane back to MN... she went into shock upon arrival... two feet of snow and -7. Damn I am glad to be out of that tundra. We were up in Estes on Sat and I whined about the cool breeze when it was 50... she just gave me a blank stare. I am proud to have forgotten about that weather.

My intent was to say it idled so smooth it was difficult to feel it from the drivers seat at idle. That one is the smoothest I have ever felt and it is running on 3fourty8's chips.

Keep putting miles on it, there are a number of folks waiting to hear how the tensioner is holding up, yours is the test mule. Come spring I will get the other little gremlins you emailed of sorted out, those are simple and its still driving weather now.

12. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    #37 ernie, Dec 13, 2010
    But for how long.

On second thought, I think you may be correct. It recently read an article about a '76 Carrera Turbo with 601,000 miles on the ticker. Now that is extremely impressive. Oh yeah and it's pumping out 500+ ponies.

Boost it.

13. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Good question. Only time will tell and you still havent replaced the bulbs... it can only get better. Did you put Eric's chips in it yet?

14. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    #39 ernie, Dec 13, 2010
    Not yet.

First things first, gotta get those chips swapped out in the "volvo" ecu's. :p

15. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    You dont need no stinking hair dryers on a 348. Anything requiring the CR to be Lowered cant be good. Hang the fool things on a less than perfect engine and you will redefine the word Problems. You and Bruce Wright and air cooled riding lawn mowers, you have evolved and grew thumbs and own Ferrari's... you must remember that.

"Volvo Ecu's".... you know how some things have legs and just wont go away...?

16. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    #41 bcwawright, Dec 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hmmm...lawnmower? Pic one shows that just because it's red and underpowered does not justify strong arm tactics...can't that driver in #92 see that #1 means just that...lol

It took Ferrari long enough to realize that lower compression and hairdryers were not an option if you wanted to hang with the panzers. Even with a perfect engine those italians needed to hide the boost knob to keep it together longer than 15min.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    That oughta do Ernie in for good.

18. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Yeah I think I'm ruined.

Though I was thinking more in the lines of something spun with rubber bands.

19. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    A major OOOOPS there...forgot we were talking about an Ernie project....this is for the BIGBOYS like plugzit....lol

Atleast Bruce won't have to worry about where the red wire goes

20. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    Just got really excited looking at that boosted 348 engine......

21. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    #46 davehelms, Dec 20, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2010

.... and Vince was trying to sell that sunshine HorseShlt about a "budget". Like I said before, the GA boy and Fatso will beat us both to the track with a running race car. You keep looking at hair dryers and even Ernie will beat you to the grid, do you want THAT?!

Focus man, Focus! You Momma warned you about hanging out with bad influence people. He is just trying to drag you into that air cooled lawn mower/panzer crap. Resist!

Dang, I need those intakes... Hey Bruce, buddy, chum... any spare slide valve intakes in the shed?

22. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    We actually took an off the shelve 308QV and resleeved down to 2.6l(in 84 it was back up to 3.0l), reworked the cams and did different rods....changed the intake and there it was..around 700hp on the 2.6 and about 100hp more in 3.0l configuration.

23. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Sounds like with all this ranting coming from you that there's another kidney stone on its' way...merry Christmas to you toooooo....lol

24. maestro8

maestro8 Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 2, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Full Name:
    Jason
    #49 maestro8, Dec 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I bit my e-tongue the last time I saw this but I hafta say something now.

Prying the chip by one side only is a great way to snap off the pins. I know 'cause I've killed plenty of chips in my time! :)

If you ever want to reuse or resell the chip, ferchrissakes, pull the chip out properly. Apply even pressure to BOTH sides of the chip at once. A proper IC extraction tool can be made from a thin band of metal and a pair of pliers.

25. 3forty8

3forty8 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 25, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Yeah, I have a chip extractor, thanks for the tip. If you actually open one of these things up you would plainly see how easy it is to damage a component soldered to the board near the chip using a standard chip extractor - thus why I showed an alternative method that works without damaging the component.

Unless you are a ham-fisted gorilla you won't snap the pins off by easing the chip out as shown. If you have managed to kill an automotive grade 27C256 chip before, congrats - no small feat as they are pretty tough ICs.