308 Taillight Wiring | FerrariChat

308 Taillight Wiring

Discussion in '308/328' started by RandyT, Oct 6, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RandyT

RandyT Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2016
    Calabasas, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy T
    I'm changing my 348 taillights to 308/328 taillights simply because it looks A LOT better.

The 308/328 yellow/white lens is pretty obvious what happens. However, since I don't own a 308/328, I'm not sure what happens in the red lens. Since they (Superformance) didn't send the bulbs with the lens I don't know if both bulbs are duel filament or not. And what's going on with the backwards bulb socket (with the white/blk wire) in the middle of the red 308/328 lens? Engine light?

I am NO expert when it comes to wiring, so if someone here can help me match wires in my wiring diagram, I would really appreciate it.

Randy

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    #2 thorn, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    Here's a pic from my 85 QV that may help.

The yellow/red pairs are for 2 bulbs, the black is grounded to the housing. The middle hole in the housing isn't used.

The 2 bulbs are double-filament (I'm using LEDs.) The yellow/red terminal assignment DOES matter; get them backwards and you'll have full-time everything, instead of only parking lights when applicable. I suggest using blade connectors on your pigtails, so it's easy to test and switch the terminals if you get it backwards. (Or if you're soldering, test it first before you commit.)

3. RandyT

RandyT Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2016
    Calabasas, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy T
    Thanks, this helps a lot.

What LED bulbs are you using? Do they work well?

4. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Cool :)

For the red lenses, I'm using Sylvania 2357R LEDs - these are RED LEDs. (You want to match the lens color to the LED, for best results.)

For the yellow lenses, Sylvania 7506 LEDs. (Yellow or Cool White, depending on bulb position.)

These are easy to find at PepBoys, OReilley's, AutoZone type places. They don't have LEDs on the top of the stalks + the sides, only around the side. So a bit less "head on bright", but loads better than standard filament bulbs. Also, you need to replace the yellow bulbs all at once (front and back of car) - and possibly your "flash relay", otherwise you might get hyper-fast blinking turn signals.

5. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Wow!
    That looks great!

6. speedcat

speedcat Karting

Jul 26, 2011
    AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    John
  7. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Meant to mention this - one thing on the bulbs: Check the receptacles, before you just go and purchase 10-12 bulbs. On mine, the amber/white posts are different than the reds - so, 2 different (not just color) bulb types are required.

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Amazing project..never seen it done that way, before!

9. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Euro-fog lights are separate lights mounted below the rear bumper on both the 308 GTB/GTS and the 328 GTB/GTS series.

The centre diameter of the red lenses are rear reflectors, nothing more.

The reverse facing bulbs on the holders for the red lenses are for trunk lights on the 328: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/my-328-has-trunk-lights-wow-hi-tech.447752/

10. ragtop1

ragtop1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2006
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Larry Warren
    That looks great ! well done