2017 FORMULA 1 PETRONAS MALAYSIA GRAND PRIX: PRACTICE 1/2/3 *** SPOILERS *** | Page 3 | FerrariChat

2017 FORMULA 1 PETRONAS MALAYSIA GRAND PRIX: PRACTICE 1/2/3 *** SPOILERS ***

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, Sep 28, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    No times from FP2?

2. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Safe to say practice has been a bit of a disaster all round. Looks like Quali and Race set up is going to be mixed up nicely. That should spice things up a bit!

3. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    I heard that Merc struggling,and Ferrari fastest? if it rains Max and Ricci should be entertaining too.

4. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    HAAS billing Sepang Circuit for faulty drain cover....

[​IMG]

5. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Best of luck getting that from SIC. Unless they have insurance.

6. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas

Is this for real? I hope this is a joke or Haas has a screw loose.

295k of damage is actually surprisingly cheap for all the customized carbon fibre damage incurred.

7. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  8. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    McLaren was faster than Merc. Ferrari were 1.5 secs + clear of Hamilton. Had things held together in Singapore, it may have been Ferrari emerging in solid control of the WDC after this weekend. If form holds through the weekend, things still may get interesting.

crinoid likes this.
  9. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    FP2 was a strong signal: Ferrari>Cans>Merc

Unless Mercs were sandbagging it looks like damage control for the Mercs. Again. I thought they'd dominate but somebody mentioned the tight turn combos suiting Ferrari and the well balanced RBs more. Seems to be the case.

Add to that rain and we have ourselves a great race to look forward to. Thanks for Tivo.

10. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Mecs not sandbagging. Toto has declared internal emergency and they need to work over night to sort the Mercs out. Cause of poor performance not understood. Great news!

11. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    This Merc's suspension arrangement just doesn't like some circuits, it is a very hot or cold car with nothing between. Fickle on courses with tight slower turns.

tifosi12 and subirg like this.
  12. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    tifosi12 likes this.
  13. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
  14. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

The diva strikes again for Mercedes. Rain will be the ultimate diva for the entire grid. Entertaining should be the order of the day. The order of the grid should be interesting.

15. DF1

From Autosport + headline/title --
    The puzzle confounding Mercedes in Malaysia
    Ferrari starred, Red Bull looked strong and Mercedes floundered in practice at Sepang. That was a surprise result given Mercedes was expected to lead the way, and there's no obvious answer either

16. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Great to see Ferrari finally keep bringing major updates so late in the season.

17. DF1

18. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ

I still wouldnt be surprised to see a Merc on pole. Really a shame we threw away all those points last race. Could have been sitting real pretty assuming the Mercs struggle here as well

19. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  20. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    I would.

I thought this was a Ferrari track even moreso than Singapore when we were looking forward to the next two races following Monza. Those multiple curves/changes of direction seem to be Merc's weakness and Ferrari's strength (and low-speed corners) . Everyone else was saying Merc would star, but based on what we've seen this season, I thought they might struggle.

FTR, I'm not giving the USGP to Merc either. I think it's the same situation as Malaysia. I would say the same for Suzuka, but while sector 1 should favor Ferrari, 2 & 3 definitely favor Merc.

21. TurboFreak650

TurboFreak650 Formula 3

Jul 10, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Crikey what a scary moment for Grosjean!

22. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    I can get onboard with that. Something with the way W08's heave arrangement doesn't favor quick change of direction, the car just becomes far too snappy. I remember the days of W03 and W04 especially as both had a ton of suspension travel that was magically soft or hard where it needed to be one or the other, hence why W03 ate tires like candy, then W04 had it more under after a time. I still don't know how they did that but at the time there was talk of some sort of heavy gravity dynamic fluid switch that seemed to think what it needed to do, but didn't actually move.....Schumacher was quoted to say he knew W03 was going to be incredible at Monaco the first time he drove it, and sure enough it was, and with a significant amount less downforce than the dominant Red Bulls, all that speed was from that trick suspension. Wild.

23. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    I think that's what was sacrificed when they were forced to change from the FRIC-type suspension. That lwb was probably on-point with the suspension that was designed for the car, but the Merc is still good enough to win without its optimal set up.

24. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Hot sun is out at moment, and no sign of rain.

25. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    Weren't Mercedes on a harder tire?