2017 Finale Petronas Malaysian GP Raceday**Spoilers** | Page 8 | FerrariChat

2017 Finale Petronas Malaysian GP Raceday**Spoilers**

Discussion in 'F1' started by Remy Zero, Sep 30, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JStone414

JStone414 Formula 3

Sep 23, 2004
    Gotham
    Full Name:
    Roman Sionis
    Great Win for Verstappen! He's the real deal and I look forward to seeing him take the baton from Hamilton/Vettel/Alonso as the sport's next dominant star. Vettel/Ferrari pace frightening, Hamilton played it safe today which I don't think he would have done 5 years ago so fair play to him. I think the WDC is closer than the numbers show. Ferrari sniffed blood today - Hamilton/Mercedes have to dominate Japan and pull ahead otherwise Vettel is right back in the game

2. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    If Vettel needs gearbox change for Japan, will definitely get grid penalty. This is race one for that 'box & no force majeure here, I'm told. Andrew Benson

3. Caracciola

Caracciola Karting
    BANNED

Finding the solution to a problem after the deadline is pointless.
    From my point of view, the 2 technical gremlins were not solved ON TIME to prevent a catastrophe for the Scuderia. Vettel missed qualifications, and Raikkonen missed the race; what can be worse than that! A shocking state of affairs for Ferrari, I would think.
    Hamilton has just to finish the season in the Prost-mode to win the championship: stay away from trouble, collect easy places, enough keep a good cushion of points against Vettel. Et voila !!!

4. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    NEP and ypsilon like this.
  5. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Serious questions for you:

Do you actually have any idea how complex these cars are?

Do you have any idea how much the technology is pushed right to the limit? (and sometimes beyond?)

Do you have any appreciation whatsoever that these are not production cars that have Millions of miles of testing under their belts, they are all prototype racing machines, and things can go wrong when you're pushing the boundaries?

Please enlighten us all with your obvious engineering genius as to just how Ferrari were supposed to miraculously fix both cars, within the 12 minutes of Q1 that was left to sort Seb's car out on Saturday, and the 15 minutes before the race start to sort out Kimi's car!

As shown by Seb today, "finding the solution after the deadline" is better than not finding the solution at all, and any lessons learnt from a failure that results in improved reliability, even if after missing a deadline, is far from pointless.

F1 is just like life: The most important lessons that are learnt, and the biggest improvements that are made, come from studying and understanding the failures that have occurred.

Added to that, sometimes in life you just have to accept that: "S:censored:t happens!"

6. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Since Vettel has finished behind Hamilton, and Hamilton would have most probably finished behind Raikkonen had he been able to race, Vettel would have lost less points to Hamilton with Raikkonen racing.
    The shame for Ferrari is the lack of reliability.

Makuono likes this.
  7. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I was more impressed that Hamilton didn't rise to the bait and try to block Max, he knows he is dealing with his future nemesis.

8. 308luver

308luver Formula Junior

May 4, 2006
    Damage Control I guess...but massive mistake at Singapore and bad luck at Malaysia when we had the faster car is bad news for the WDC. Only a matter of time before the Merc is back and with a lead now.

9. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Big question for Japan?

So does Ferrari change Sebs gearbox and take a grid penalty? Or run the race with questionable reliability of a box that's been hit?

10. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Stroll move was intended. Should have been punished.

11. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Congrats to Max winning nice B'Day Pressie :)

What could of been with Ferrari today. :(

That Ricci pass on Bottas on Lap 9 :D F1 needs more of that.

That driver of the day pic with the broken Ferrari is Gold :D

12. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Interesting enough race. Fantastic drive by Max, well done. Very happy for him.

Good drive by DR and Seb but I'm getting a little tired of Vettel's whining.

Hamilton did another Prost WDC in focus drive taking no risks with Max. Another race where MB was in damage control mode and managed to actually expand the lead. Amazing.

Kimi! WTF Ferrari? Using old parts saves them from grid penalties but this and Vettel's non qualification session was the price to pay.

vinuneuro, kraftwerk and subirg like this.
  13. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    :)

We need more pics of Jos Verstappen's lady. Could you pls work on that going forward?
    :p

14. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Looks that way. But isn't there a no overtaking rule on the slow down lap?

Bottom line - if Seb takes a penalty for a new gearbox, he will be the big loser in this latest Ferrari fiasco. Very annoying situation all round.

Caracciola likes this.
  15. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I don't think overtaking is prohibited in the slow down lap. E.g. Hamilton passed Max. We have seen winners doing donuts and thus being passed by anybody.

Not for a moment do I think Stroll did that on purpose.

subirg, Caracciola, kraftwerk and 2 others like this.
  16. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
  17. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Thank you Sir. Off to a good start.

With more podiums for Max I'm hoping we'll see more of her. I'll call her the new Scherzinger. :)

18. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    +1...Singapore and Malaysia were the two tracks going in that clearly favored Ferrari. Definitely lost opportunities. There are some 50/50 tracks left and I can actually see Ferrari being better at COTA, so I don't think it will be a case of Merc running away with it. The margin for error is very slim though...Seb would need to win every race just to cover Ham's 34-pt lead (on paper...as we know, anything can happen).

19. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Over the years, Ferrari hasn't had the best races at Malaysia or Singapore.
    I wonder if they believe in jinxes.

Can someone from Australia send the Ferrari team a bunch of rabbits' feet? :p

Of course, at this point, we may need a mercedes car shaped voodoo doll. ;)

Without a kablammo from Mercedes, the championship is likely out of reach.

So that's the dilemma for Merc:
    If they don't regain pace, they may lose a a few points per race.
    If they make changes to improve pace, they risk a mechanical DNF and lose a bunch of points.

20. joe1973

joe1973 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2016
    NJ
    Hmmm.... Mercedes engine in Williams.. hit on Ferrari after race by innocent move to collect clag. Also my speculation Mercedes looking to get out of F1 directly and back the likes of Williams. Hmmm... I believe with MBs recent announced move to invest in electric by building plant in US to challenge Tesla almost directs them to also shift to the Formula E series.

21. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Here we go again...when Rosberg profited from an Engine failure and cruised to second he was called "not a racer", "unworthy champion" and other Stuff and when Lewis Profits from Sebs missfortune going for second rather than a win then it is called a "Prost-like" Drive....

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

22. petrol_junkie

petrol_junkie Karting

Jan 16, 2017
    Dublin
  23. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    How long until she is beaten up like previous Jos' girlfriends? :D

PS: Do you guy seriously think she is "that" beautiful? A bit of a masculine face to me... In 2012 Jos' girlfriend was a much more beautiful Dutch lady. Perhaps his fame with the ladies in his country is so bad that he can only date those who don't know his records.

24. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    She is ok. At least not one of those teenage girls many drivers bring along.

25. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I saw part of the race in Whiskey Down, it I got sidetracked by this endless stream of good looking women and ended up pretty much missing most of it!

I should have more self control at my age, but it's like I am having a second childhood in Vegas!