2017-2018 Silly Season | Page 12 | FerrariChat

2017-2018 Silly Season

Discussion in 'F1' started by vinuneuro, May 14, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    what

2. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Allison is not solely responsible for this years success.

3. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    OCTOBER 8, 2017

No Toro Rosso seat for Wehrlein says Marko

Dr Helmut Marko has denied rumours Pascal Wehrlein could be in the running to race for Toro Rosso in 2018.

On Sunday, both teams confirmed that Jolyon Palmer has been axed by Renault and will be replaced by Toro Rosso's Carlos Sainz from Austin later this month.

To fill Sainz's place, axed Daniil Kvyat will return, but whether the Russian will race full-time alongside Pierre Gasly next year is not yet clear.

That's because German Wehrlein, the Mercedes-backed Sauber driver, has been linked with a seat at the junior Red Bull team.

But Red Bull's Marko told Auto Motor und Sport: "Wehrlein is not on our list."

Asked who is on the list, the Austrian answered: "Perhaps there will be a surprise."

Another rumour is that the McLaren junior Lando Norris is in the running, perhaps as part of the deal that sees Honda power also heading to Toro Rosso in 2018.

But McLaren boss Eric Boullier said: "It is one year too early for Lando to come to formula one."

4. Caracciola

Caracciola Karting
    BANNED

No surprise there: Wehrlein is in the Mercedes stable, and has never been part of the Red Bull one.

5. Caracciola

Caracciola Karting
    BANNED

Maybe not, but he is surely a good replacement for Paddy Lowes. Another talented engineer who escaped from Ferrari ...

crinoid likes this.
  6. Caracciola

Caracciola Karting
    BANNED

At this rate, Arrivabene may not last 2 seasons !!!

7. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    OCTOBER 8, 2017

Professional Williams team would keep me says Massa

Felipe Massa seems unhappy with the Williams team.

Earlier at Suzuka, team official Paddy Lowe said that while the Brazilian veteran is still in the running for 2018, Robert Kubica and Paul di Resta will be tested "in the next few weeks".

Another rumour is that Pascal Wehrlein could get Massa's seat, perhaps as part of a discount on Williams' expensive Mercedes engine bill.

Massa said in Japan: "I'm concerned that the team could choose a path that could bring difficulties for the team.

"I think Lance (Stroll) has made a lot of progress through the year so perhaps Williams should keep the current lineup," he added.

So when asked about Lowe's admission that plenty of candidates are under consideration for the seat alongside Stroll next year, Massa said: "Paddy knows what's best for the team.

"Unfortunately, this is just formula one. I think if Williams acts professionally, they will leave everything as it is."

Massa, 36, actually retired at the end of last year, and only returned to Williams when Valtteri Bottas headed to Mercedes at the last moment.

Asked why he is now so keen to stay in F1 for another year, Massa explained: "In the past three years the cars did not suit my driving style.

"There was not much grip, the tyres did not work in a good way -- it was not fun and I could not compensate with my style.

"Now, when I can feel that I can push to the maximum, the motivation increases. I still believe I can give a lot to the team," he added.

8. Caracciola

Caracciola Karting
    BANNED

When I see who Williams has shortlisted to replace him, I think Massa is not wrong .

9. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Agree. Williams needs at least one experienced driver to help develop the car and it seems there is no one available at the moment.

Thomas S. likes this.
  10. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Yep. For the moment, Williams is a day-care center and nursing home all rolled up into one.:D

11. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Massa is of drinking age. That's a plus on his side.:p

12. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I strugle to understand Williams, but again, they were always a bit strange in their drivers choice...if Robert is indeed ok, it's a no brainer.

13. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Ferrari needs to take a deep breath and get set for the future. Beginning in 2019; Ocon and LeClerc

14. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    I think Ocon will replace Bottas..if he proves to be good enuf.

15. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  16. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    OCTOBER 10, 2017

Massa should retire says Marko

Dr Helmut Marko thinks Felipe Massa should retire.

The rebuke comes after the lapped Fernando Alonso and Massa, the Brazilian F1 veteran, held up Max Verstappen in the closing stages of the Dutchman's pursuit of Suzuka winner Lewis Hamilton.

"Max had the pace to attack Hamilton," Marko, the Red Bull official, told ORF broadcaster.

"It cannot be that when the leaders approach you only move over after so many corners. Without the episode we would have had an exciting end.

"It would be better if Massa retires," the Austrian added.

tifosi12 likes this.
  17. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Gutsy call but they will never do it. Would love to see it however.

18. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

He is out to lunch. Max had a blister and was never going to pass LH. So says Horner. Ridiculous. If anyone is old and needs to retire the Dr could just as easily.

Caracciola likes this.
  19. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
  20. DF1

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/132366/hartley-favourite-for-toro-rosso-us-gp-drive

Brendon Hartley is the leading contender to drive for the Toro Rosso Formula 1 team in the United States Grand Prix, with Sebastien Buemi the back-up option, Autosport has learned.

Toro Rosso needs to fill the seat alongside Daniil Kvyat at Austin after it was agreed Pierre Gasly would return to Super Formula to contest the title in the series finale on the same weekend.

It is understood Toro Rosso team principal Franz Tost wants to use Austin as an opportunity to evaluate a new driver as he weighs up his 2018 driver line-up.

tifosi12 likes this.
  21. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    OMG!

Wouldn't it be awesome if Buemi gets a ride in Friday FP1? I'd see him again in a F1. Whoa! All the more reason to travel to Austin.

22. DF1

This is very interesting for Toro!

23. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    Proof that RB junior program has run out of steam. Unfortunate since they have probably added more to F1 than anyone else in the past decade.

DF1 and Caracciola like this.
  24. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  25. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012