2008 599 GTB Fiorano - won't start - no fuel pressure to the rail? | FerrariChat

2008 599 GTB Fiorano - won't start - no fuel pressure to the rail?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by denfpal, Oct 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. denfpal

denfpal Karting

Apr 30, 2015
    Parkland, FL
    Full Name:
    Dennis Palumbo
    Was wondering if anyone else has experienced this type of scenario. Just replaced the battery and now car won't start. Had it towed to dealer and they are telling me that both fuel pumps are seized – no fuel pressure to the rail - and they quoted about $2,500 for the repairs - I'm over the barrel again. Seems illogical that both fuel pumps could go out at the same time since they operate and are plumbed separately and both supply fuel pressure to the rail (redundantly) with less than 8,000 total miles. To add insult to injury - the parts had to be ordered from Europe - estimated 10 - 14 days for delivery. Was also told that because the parts have the word "fuel" in them that Ferrari charges the dealer an extra $100 per pump for shipping since they are considered "hazardous material" - is this BS or what? - please advise - so tired of getting banged by the dealer.

2. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Hi

Check the inertia switch.

Daniel

3. denfpal

denfpal Karting

Apr 30, 2015
    Parkland, FL
    Full Name:
    Dennis Palumbo
    Daniel - where are these inertia switches located on the 599 and are there 2 of them - 1 for each fuel pump? - please advise

Potenza430 likes this.
  4. *599GTB*

*599GTB* Karting

Mar 15, 2016
    North West UK
    Full Name:
    SEG
    You should have a warning light in the TFT display, the interior light and the hazard warning lights also turn on, if the inertia switch is triggered. The switch is located in the foot well in front of the drivers seat. This can be reset by pressing it back down.

5. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    It is very common for the fuel pumps to die on cars that are stored for long periods of time without being driven. The ethanol in the fuel that is in today's fuels separates out from the gasoline and with the water in the fuel it attacks the pumps, corroding and killing them. It also destroys any of the rubber parts that are used to mount the pumps in some cars. I tell customers over and over again to keep their fuel tanks full and drive the cars at least three or four times a month. Some people don't listen. I have a customer with a 550 Barchetta that has 400 miles on it, and it has needed to have the pumps replaced on it twice to the tune of $14K.

It is not Ferrari's fault that they need to charge extra to ship the pumps. Because of all of the newer safety regulations, anything shipped that is called a "Fuel Pump" is considered a hazardous material, even though it contains no fuel. They are required to have special shipment, and cannot be shipped by air. Hence the extra charges and longer shipping times. Thank government shipping regulators for that extra cost.

You are not getting banged by the dealership. They are just trying to repair your car. If you had been driving your car regularly, you would not have this problem.

ferrariformulauno and Carbunkle like this.
  6. Andy 355

Andy 355 Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2013
    Sydney
    Were the fuel pumps tested on the bench? They wont run if they aren't being told to or getting power. Id be sure that it is the pumps before just ordering them.

7. denfpal

denfpal Karting

Apr 30, 2015
    Parkland, FL
    Full Name:
    Dennis Palumbo
    1 pump was taken out and 12 volts applied and you could feel a slight tap...it was trying to pump, but no fuel - they told me both pumps were seized hence no fuel pressure to the rail.

8. denfpal

denfpal Karting

Apr 30, 2015
    Parkland, FL
    Full Name:
    Dennis Palumbo
    Thank for your detailed comments - it sounds like you are a Ferrari mechanic/technician. When I get the car back...I'll be driving it more often and keeping the fuel tank topped-off. Is there any type of fuel additive such as Marvel Mystery Oil, Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant/Injector Cleaner or Liqui-Moly product that will help to keep the new fuel pumps and the associated plumbing lubricated and, at the same time, provide longevity? - please advise.

9. Andy 355

Andy 355 Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2013
    Sydney
    Ok well if they dont work when bench tested it means they are toast. Perhaps the 1st battery died after many attempts to start the car. 2 fuel pumps fitted and running in a 599 for 2500 sounds like a good deal from the dealer to me. All the best.