1997 F355 Will not start. Calling all Ferrari doctors | Page 2 | FerrariChat

1997 F355 Will not start. Calling all Ferrari doctors

Discussion in '348/355' started by PA Charles Ferrari F355, Jul 17, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PA Charles Ferrari F355

Apr 3, 2010
    Chester County
    Full Name:
    Charles B.
    Rob, My car will sit all winter long, but I would start it every 2-3 weeks and let her run for about 20 minutes and put her back in the garage. Once the end of March comes along after the road crew sweeps up all the cinders in the road from all the winter's snow fall, I will drive her at least once a week. If I'm busy with work I may let a week or two go by without starting it.

Interestingly enough when I knew I was going to take the car out today after letting sit idle for about 4 days, I put the tender on her for about an hour before starting it up. I had trouble again. I tried starting it a second time and fortunately it started, but with a rough barely faint heartbeat of a sound as it struggled to run. Letting it idle at this weak level and putting my foot on the gas pedal once or twice to rev it along, it slowly began to build its running strength and after about 5 minutes it seemed to build up its normal running strength. I let it run for another 20 minutes, drove it for about 30 minutes put it in the garage. Decided to let it sit for 2 hours without battery tender and it started right up. I will heed your advice and not rely on the battery tender during the summer as maybe my electrical Gremlins may be caused by my faulty CTEK battery tender? If I avoid the tender all together and let her sit for a week and the car starts without issue, I would strongly believe the tender could be the culprit. Thanks, Charles

2. Rob'Z

Rob'Z Formula 3

Mar 29, 2008
    Tucson,AZ
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Sounds like a plan, let us know how you progress.

I've let my F355 sit for about a month without a tender and without switching off the battery and it starts right up when I'm ready to gonfor a drive. It's a '97 as well, not that that matters.

Rob

3. gus355

gus355 Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2011
    B.C. and WA
    Did anyone ever answer this, I want to install an aftermarket alarm and would like to do away with the OEM alarm and bypass the OEM immobilizer.

4. Genyosai

Genyosai Formula Junior

May 28, 2008
    SC
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    I'm having a similar issue!

What symptoms can you have from a failed alarm battery?? Will the alarm still sound (mine does)? Will you still be able to arm and disarm the car (mine does with the proper beeps)? Could everything seem normal, but when disarming, the car won't start as if it's still armed (this is happening to me)?

This morning, I started the car an let it warm up. I backed out of my garage, and coincidentally, when I pressed the button to close my garage door, the car shut off at the exact same moment. I tried to restart, but it just turns over. I tried to arm and disarm, but for a while it wouldn't arm... just lock the doors for a second then unlock the doors with 3 beeps. A few times after the 3 beeps, the alarm would set off, but not with either door, but rather with just one of the doors.

Please help!

5. Genyosai

Genyosai Formula Junior

May 28, 2008
    SC
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    Solved.

My Ferraris have such complex issues sometimes, I've become conditioned to NOT check the simplest of possibilities.

Blown 15a fuel pump fuse :/

6. philips0269

philips0269 Rookie

Sep 19, 2013
    I have a virtually new Ferrari 355 spider with only 10k. She has been very reliable actually and until last weekend. I do, however, maintain her weekly. Nonethless, two week ago she would not turn over. However, she wanted to turn over. The engine sounds crisp and ready to start but will not. True to form, eventually the battery died and jumped the Car with my Audi SUV - no battery issues. Magically, she started! And then last weekend was the same occurrence. The engine sounds great ... she does want to start. Sounds crisp a. However, this time she's not staring but turning over wanting to start. I reset the ODI - all good with that. Could it be the plugs are fouled, the starter finally died? Oddly, only the day before this occurred, she started right-up and she went for great ride only for this to happened 12 hours later - so very odd. Has anyone had a similar experience, and if so, please share your thoughts or information. Thus far, the baby has been top-notch. With the 355 hitting almost 100 MPH the day before, and then the next day turning-over but not starting this leaves me clueless. I took a good look around the engine but see nothing patent to indicates an issue. Could I have fouled the plugs by way of attempting to start the engine too often. Thanks ...

7. Corpus

Corpus Rookie

Jan 24, 2016
    Dear F355 owners who have had that frustrating problem of unreliable starting, I too suffered from that and followed all the standard tactics referred to in the threads on my 1997 Berlinetta manual with 78,000 km on the odometer.

None worked!

What has worked for me may help you as well.

I determined that the fuel pump relay on the fuse board located in the passenger footwell was getting very warm, especially the pins and that indicated to me that there was a high resistance problem there.

I removed the board, quite a simple job. Once out of the car, i undid the small bolt at one end of the board and opened up the fuse board to reveal the underside of a flexible printed circuit board. Examining the soldered points with a magnifying glass revealed some dull and cracked solder joints where the fuel relay was located.

Rather than trust my soldering skills, I took the board to a company who repairs printed circuit boards and had them resolder all the spots, not just the ones I thought looked bad. $95 for the job!

Since I have done that the car has been 100% reliable, and my hair is starting to grow back.

It would seem that there maybe a couple of reasons for the problem occurring in the first place.

With the fuse board location and design not allowing any cooling of components, over time heat buildup may be creating the problem. To reduce the load on the fuel pump relay on the fuse board, a simple solution would be to put another relay near the fuel pumps and have a decent sized wire feed that and just use the existing relay circuit to trigger the new fuel pump relay.

Because I am an Economist and not an auto electrician, the foregoing may be aboslute baloney. You decide.

Regards

Corpus

8. harrysdad

harrysdad Rookie

Feb 3, 2006
    #33 harrysdad, Nov 23, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Gents -

I had a similar problem. Car ran fine. Let it sit for a week or so, then it would not start. Checked many of the suggestions presented here including the fuel pump fuse. All were fine. Then I saw the fuel pump relay by the other fuses. I tested it by applying 12v to the opposing terminals and heard nothing. (I should have hear the relay click (engage))

I ordered a new relay from Rockauto PN 1490332019151 $8.64 each. Plugged in the new relay. Turned the key and the car started immediately.

I also had an issue about a month ago where it took about 10 trys to actually start the car. I'll bet the relay was going bad, but eventually worked.

Try this if you're having this same problem.

I will try to post a picture of the relay location if I can learn how...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    I believe you do have a fuel pump issue. Seems strange that it blew a fuse???? Possibly drawing extra current required as it's getting worn out. Happy to be proven wrong but I have had a car that would blow a pump fuse for a while and then the pump gave out

10. stefab

stefab Rookie

Dec 11, 2014
    France / Switzerland
    Good day to everyone,

I have the same issue that PA Charles was describing at the beginning of this thread :

When turning the key on, the air pump switches on continuously (high pitch vacuum sound), which is not normal, and the fuel pump does not switch on.

I even got the problem while driving : the car suddenly slowed down as the fuel pump switched off and I could hear the high pitch sound of the air pump...

This is not a relay issue. They are new.
    This doesn't seem to be a relay board issue. The board was entirely checked.

Still searching for the cause of this frustrating issue...

yelcab likes this.
  11. Nader

Nader Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2011
    East of Seattle
    I'm a Ferrari-owning doctor. Someone paged? Oh, never mind.

12. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    more background please. What was recently done to the car and by whom?

13. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Stefab, I've been told that the fuel pump should not switch on with the key just in ON. The engine has to be started (or at least cranking).
    Although the fuel and the air pump are both activated by the engine ECU, the fuel pump and air pump have different fuses and relays and I suspect the problems are unrelated. The fuel pump is a possibility (unless it has been changed recently).

Beetle likes this.
  14. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    My issues were as above 96 car. What I found was loose fitting relays in the fuse/Relay block. I replaced all fuses and main relays but before installing gave the male pins on the relays a slight twist which I believe helped them being tighter in the block. my car now starts instantly. I can concur that the fuel pump will not operate until it senses eng cranking

15. stefab

stefab Rookie

Dec 11, 2014
    France / Switzerland
    Qavion and phrogs like this.
  16. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Wow, good find. I don’t have the patience to track something like that down. I end up just rolling the car outside, dousing it in gasoline, and setting it ablaze first.

Lionworks Auto likes this.
  17. stefab

stefab Rookie

Dec 11, 2014
    France / Switzerland
    That's one solution (the final solution actually...)

When you're stuck, you don't have other choice but to find the original of the problem.
    In my case,
    - The wiring below the dashboard was completely checked
    - both fuse boxes dismounted and checked
    - the alarm was dismounted and cleaned up

The problem was finally the connector..

There's always something on a 20 year old car..

Lionworks Auto likes this.
  18. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    That's fantastic. I would still be concerned about the fuel pump fuse or relay getting hot. I had a similar intermittent starting issue with my 96 355. 1 issue with the relay and fuse getting hot was the fuel pump trying to pump broken down support gasket material. The other issue was that I replaced the crank angle sensor but and here is the BUT. It's very important to check the air gap. I just replaced the sensor with the factory shim that was there without measuring the air gap. The new Ferrari sensor was shorter than the original putting the air gap out of spec. Removed the shim and measure. No more issues.