1994 348 Spider Seats are very Tough | FerrariChat

1994 348 Spider Seats are very Tough

Discussion in '348/355' started by ForzaYYZ, Sep 5, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ForzaYYZ

ForzaYYZ Karting

Sep 4, 2016
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Sebastian
    #1 ForzaYYZ, Sep 5, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm close to pulling the trigger on my first F-car; a very well cared for 1994 spider, very low mileage local car. It's rosso corso with black interior (my first choice was Tan, but i'm prioritizing spider over interior, as I haven't seen many in my price range). This has removable seat bottoms I guess? My question is that the seats seemed very tough with some texture to them and not subtle leather like a tan targa i've sat in. Closer to a 360 daytona seat I've checked out before. Is this correct? Also, the seat bottom seems to have shrunk and front corners curled up a little. Ineterior isn't worn, but the finish is not smooth.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Tough like boots? Tough like cardboard? Are there other cracks? if you lightly squeeze a bolster does it feel hard or feel like it might crack?

The picture isn't very high res, but they're likely in desperate need of conditioning, especially in a spyder. Is there any evidence they got wet?

The bottoms are definitely shrunken.

Be very careful with leather in this condition. My ts passenger seat is rock hard, and it'll take several treatments to bring it back.

There's a million threads here about best leather product. I use "soffener" from a place called color plus. I did my seats, and i did a neglected leather sofa at home. The seats got cleaned and then treated with a thick layer which i let sit for 6-8 hours, then damp cleaned and dried then cleaned and cleaned again, as the treatment got sticky (no color came off, except on the drivers door which may have had a color treatment instead of a proper dye job. They feel great now, and they'll get a couple more wipedowns with a light coat in the coming weeks as maintenance. (the sofa came out awesome too, but it's due for a re-dye...very faded caramel color)

Do you have any close ups?

sjd

3. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    It is one pic as I am not present with the car, but those seats look terrible. Very shrunk up and poor condition; even dry and maybe coated with a product to mask that.

Looks to me like car was left outside and rained in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. ForzaYYZ

ForzaYYZ Karting

Sep 4, 2016
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Sebastian
    Tough like luggage. I didn't even think about rain - but the shrinking makes sense. There are no tears or wear marks. Would a softener bring them back to reasonable smooth and softness and expand the cushions a little? Other than the tough seats, the car is immaculate. I'm up-sizing my search from a 308 to this 348, and am worried I'm getting caught up in emotion, as i lost out on 2 prior purchase options because I hesitated too long.

5. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    I'm nearly sure that's what happened to mine. passenger side has streaks in it as well as some torn stitching, and isn't stretched over the bolsters like it should be, and the drivers door is a faded mess that had some junk coating on it that came off when i cleaned it. I think some of the sticky leather had to do with coating on the passenger seat as well. the drivers seat didn't react like that, it just softened up.

sjd

6. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    To some extent, yes. I can tell you that my pliability improved considerably. i'm not afraid to reach in and squeeze the bolster.

Will the treatment relax the leather enough to stretch back to normal position on it's own? Not likely. It will allow it to become soft enough to possibly stretch back with use? maybe. Will the treatment keep you from further damage and harm, yes.

When i started doing mine, the treatment fish-eyed in several places. I'd never seen THAT before! Either that was the "dye" or it was a silicone based off the shelf shine crap that made it look good for about 10 minutes. Silicone ANYTHING will seal the leather and make it shrink worse.

sjd

7. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    If they are fine for a while, and that's your only issue, buy it and have the seats refinished in time, or buy another pair.

FCOnyx likes this.
  8. driveitdaily

driveitdaily Formula 3

Jul 20, 2013
    lake ariel pennsylva
    Full Name:
    john
    #8 driveitdaily, Sep 6, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
    That car got wet at some point.my local upholsterer explained to me once that leather needs dryness to stay soft , moisture makes it hard, that's why the sofa in your house stays so soft , its in a dry environment. He gave me a secret. isopropyl alcohol will soften leather , it drys it, most leather cleaners are mostly alcohol , that's how they soften. Give it a try on something to test. I've done this with good results , but please don't blame me if it ruins your seats in your 250 gto, lol , test the theory on something scrap first. We did this on a seat that needed reupholstery as a last ditch effort ,we had nothing to lose and it worked. He told me to rub it on the surface then kneed the surface, we did it a few times and it worked.

9. ForzaYYZ

ForzaYYZ Karting

Sep 4, 2016
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Sebastian
    #9 ForzaYYZ, Sep 6, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    Thanks for advice. Can anyone point me to new 348 seat cover retailers? Or must these be done right on the chairs as a custom reupholstering? What's a fair cost for 2 seats?

10. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    As a curious engineer, I AM CURIOUS!!!

I did some quick reading, and you have to be very careful it doesn't remove the dye, as many leather dyes are alchohol based. some articles said it depends on the amount of sealing. you MUST use a conditioner immediately after. I may just stick to the process i'm using...

sjd

11. boxcarracer

boxcarracer Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2005
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    If the interior got wet, I'd lift the carpets to see what's brewing underneath.

12. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I don't have a recommendation, but you can inquire with Bradan and I've also chatted with JK Automotive Designs in Stoneham, MA about the seats. They have stated the 348 seats are a little tricky compared to others.

13. Douglas52

Douglas52 Rookie

May 5, 2015
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Douglas
    ForzaYYZ
    Have you looked into T&M Custom Auto trim in the GTA, they do some of the upholstery work for FoO

14. goose22b

goose22b Rookie

Aug 11, 2017
    Prosper, TX
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Supposedly eatherique is some of the best, and other people in the detailing forum swear by it. I wonder if it could bring your seats back to life?

15. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Strong like Bull :)

16. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    He meant leatherique. A pain to use since the process involves leaving it on for the day in the sun if possible then removing... but the stuff is the best!

17. ForzaYYZ

ForzaYYZ Karting

Sep 4, 2016
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Sebastian
    Thanks Douglas52 for the recommendation for upholstery fixes here in T.O., and the others for product. I decided to pass on the vehicle, but someone else did buy it so hopefully they will benefit from this thread. Thanks gang.

18. 76Steel

76Steel Formula 3

Sep 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I know you did not get the car, but un-maintained F-car seats are known to get tough. Leatherique indeed can make most seats soft again. It worked on my seats in my 308 that were rock hard when I got it. Griot's sells a new product called Leather Rejuvinator as well. I never tried it, but their regular leather 3 in one treatment is also excellent and I have been using it for a long time. I think there is hope without having to redo the seats.