1990 Ferrari 348 Challenge at Mecum Auction Monterey | FerrariChat

1990 Ferrari 348 Challenge at Mecum Auction Monterey

Discussion in 'Challenge/GT Cars/Track' started by Ferrari 308 Vetro, Aug 8, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Ferrari 308 Vetro F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    #1 Ferrari 308 Vetro, Aug 8, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Car is more then knowen,....

Link to Mecum: https://www.mecum.com/lots/CA0817-299997/1990-ferrari-348ts-challenge/

Estimate
    $90,000 – $120,000

Highlights
    Original Ferrari challenge car campaigned from 1994 (first year of Challenge) thru 1996 by Col Carlson
    2 Podium finishes at Morosso
    Cavallino Platinum Concourse award
    Raced at nearly all tracks including World Finals at Mugello, Italy in 1994
    Original seats, AC and seat belts put back in car for street use
    Includes original racing seats, seat belts and roll cage
    Previously part of the Evergreen Historic Automobile Collection in Lebanon, Missouri
    3.4L V-8 engine
    5-speed manual transmission
    Air conditioning
    Driven fewer than 10 miles since November 2016
    Believed to be 27,155 original miles
    Original Ferrari challenge car campaigned from 1994 (first year of Challenge) thru 1996 by Col Carlson
    2 Podium finishes at Morosso
    Cavallino Platinum Concourse award
    Raced at nearly all tracks including World Finals at Mugello, Italy in 1994
    Original seats, AC and seat belts put back in car for street use
    Includes original racing seats, seat belts and roll cage
    Previously part of the Evergreen Historic Automobile Collection in Lebanon, Missouri
    3.4L V-8 engine
    5-speed manual transmission
    Air conditioning
    Driven fewer than 10 miles since November 2016
    Believed to be 27,155 original miles

This 1990 Ferrari 348TS is a former participant in the Ferrari 348 Challenge—a single-marque/single-model racing-series run under the auspices of the Ferrari Racing Department Corso Cliente. The series began in 1993 across the European Continent, but it expanded its participation base to the U.S. in 1994. The Challenge cars were directly derived from the street-legal 348 models with the following minor changes: a 20 HP increase to the engine, a low-restriction exhaust system, racing tires, modified brakes and specific dynamic air intakes. The Challenge cars were also equipped with mandatory safety equipment that included a roll cage, racing seats, 6-point harness, fire extinguisher, front tow hook and electric circuit breaker. The top contenders from each of the participating countries would meet for the world final at Mugello, Italy, to determine the overall series champion. This car was campaigned in 1994 and 1995, and it has an esteemed racing history with two podium finishes at Moroso Motorsports Park, as well as participation at the world final in Mugello in 1994. This is a unique Ferrari in that it has provenance as a racing car, is a Cavallino Platinum Concours award winner, is street legal in its current configuration and is easily converted to racing specification. In terms of racing participation, the car comes with the authentic and requisite parts that will allow it to run in the U.S.-based Ferrari Club Racing Championship—open to all Challenge cars—but not affiliated with the official Ferrari Racing Department Corso Cliente. With 27,155 believed-original miles, this car has undergone a major service. If you want to maintain it as a street-legal road car, this beautiful Rosso Red with tan leather example comes complete with original touring seats, air conditioning and original seat belts.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    Strong race history, although it'd be better if it were a "factory" Challenge car.
    If it really does have all of its Challenge equipment included (I'd want a complete list before bidding) it will need the cage, seats, etc. reinstalled before being truly track-worthy.
    I wonder when it supposedly won a Platinum at Cavallino- I've attended all 26 of them since it started in 1992 and don't recall this car winning any concorso awards (and having owned a couple of 348CH race cars, I think I'd remember, but . . .).

3. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    As time goes by the story behind each car gets better, in 2020 everyone will have won a championship. :)

4. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Not sure that is the auction company I would go with on this car... I wish the seller success.

Robb

5. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Or maybe it is the right auction house for *that* car.

:)

6. gbutler

gbutler Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Glenn Butler
    https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/23850/lot/155/

If Bonhams could only get 44k for this in March at Amelia, I find it hard to believe that Mecum will be able to do better, if at all. Perhaps Monterey car week will bring someone out who will pay up for it. Nevertheless, it will be interesting to watch!

7. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    And a Platinum award at a major concorso!

8. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    Valid points. If I were marketing this car, I'd reinstall the Challenge gear (assuming it really is all present, as claimed) and market it as a genuine dual-purpose, "drive it to/from track events" example- to me, that's where the value lies.
    And all this assumes that the engine and transaxle are healthy- if either or both need rebuilding, that'd go a long way towards explaining the previous low bids. Yet another reason why buying cars, especially race and exotic cars, at auction is a dicey proposition.

9. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    Indeed! I'll be curious to see the details once the catalog description becomes available: (1) does it have genuine race history; (2) does it come with the rest of the Challenge equipment like the remainder of the roll cage & Speedline Challenge wheels; & (3) any details on maintenance history and current mechanical condition?
    I see a few deviations from original Challenge spec (for example, the logo on the seats is positioned incorrectly, the fire bottle mounted in a different location, and the funky rear badging), but overall looks nice.

10. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    The RM car is one of the 3 first, press and show car, but no really history, not all parts really perfect. It will sell very well I am sure

11. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    All of them are still way under value, but I dont have to tell you this ;-)

12. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    THANKS for the additional info. As you've said, "this will be interesting . . .".

13. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    High bid 60$ not sold

14. gbutler

gbutler Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Glenn Butler
    Seller should have taken it - especially given the fact that he just bought the car three months ago at public auction for 44k (see earlier post). What is amazing to me is the auction houses put such absurd estimates on the car when it just recently has had a very public sale. Just another example how the auction houses will tell a potential seller anything in order to get the consignment!