1979 Ferrari 308 Gearbox Issue | FerrariChat

1979 Ferrari 308 Gearbox Issue

Discussion in '308/328' started by Sparky308, Oct 8, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sparky308

Sparky308 Rookie

Oct 8, 2017
    Full Name:
    Indrojit Sircar
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Hi Guys,

Got a 79 308 manual with 62,000miles on the clock. I changed the gearbox oil last week and surprisingly it's come "Silver" in colour and some flaky metal particles came out as well. Any idea what this could be and what I should be expecting out of this ?

2. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    #2 308 milano, Oct 8, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    Well.. My first thought on what you can expect from this, is a lightening of your wallet. :)
    Does it still shift smoothly into all the gears? Looks as if someone got quite aggressive shifting and possibly ground a Synchro or two judging from the particles. No idea what type of gear oil comes in silver.

Fernankr likes this.
  3. Sparky308

Sparky308 Rookie

Oct 8, 2017
    Full Name:
    Indrojit Sircar
    4th gear is a lil notchy.

I replaced oil, put in fresh Oil ran it for a couple of kms and then drained the oil again. The oil again came out silver in colour.

4. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Just looked at the picture closely.
    Lol Yeah.. we're being trolled.

5. Sparky308

Sparky308 Rookie

Oct 8, 2017
    Full Name:
    Indrojit Sircar
    I guess taking apart the gearbox is the only option ?

6. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    If the fluid is completely silver, this indicates there's some sort of contamination from the secondary crankshaft fluid pump. Start by checking the sparkplug gaps - this usually happens if the gap is 002" too small (if it's a Euro model, or a US Model with the smog controls removed). So I'd pull them all and check with a metric gap tool to ensure the gap is correct. Afterwards, bleed the crankshaft system and refill it from the reserve plug on the right side (NOT the left side of the engine). Keep your RPMs under 1200 for around 20-30 miles, and after that recheck your fluid.

7. Sparky308

Sparky308 Rookie

Oct 8, 2017
    Full Name:
    Indrojit Sircar
    Plug gaps are fine. Done the above procedure. The result is the same. More silver particles and silver coloured oil.

Do I need to open the gearbox?

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Someone used a Teflon additive...

I would switch to Royal Purple.

Only 2nd gear synchros wear out, no one gets to forth gear, in town.

9. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    No, that's more work than you need to do at this stage. Remove the plenum and check for silver flecks on the liner.

10. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Look at the picture closely. It's a photo of melted lead.

11. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    ;)

I did not want to tell him the Factory machining was so poor in the '70s that there was that much metal left in the oil journals of our crankshafts....LOL!

12. Sparky308

Sparky308 Rookie

Oct 8, 2017
    Full Name:
    Indrojit Sircar
  13. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Oh my! Did something broke in there or fell something in there?

14. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Taking you at your word that - as a 24-year-old new member five posts in, and you're attempting to diagnose a serious problem on a DIY basis - you can take apart a transmission case but don't know what shrapnel in the oil indicates , I've got good news and bad news for you. Wait, never mind about the good news.

If that's how your pan came off, it looks like either a securing your linkage or came loose and chewed up your internals (I don't recall a bolt of that size - maybe the shift shaft rod or fork, but looks like a suspension bolt to me). Or a previous Luigi dropped a bolt in your transmission case. Either way, THIS - exactly right here - is the point where you flatbed your car to a professional (dealer or independent shop) and get a proper assessment. The obvious guess is you've chewed up some gear and/or synchro teeth. That much particulate indicates, if you haven't merely shaved down some inner case from that bolt rattling around, then you're in for some new gearbox components.

15. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    One thing that surprises me a little is that the drain plugs are supposed to be magnetic, and this particulate doesn't seem to have accumulated around the plugs. Maybe you got lucky and it's just aluminum housing.

16. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Something went amiss when I was editing post #14. First line of second paragraph should read either a BOLT securing your linkage came loose...

When you pulled off the pan, did three springs and little balls the size of peas pop out. I don't see them in your pic. If you've been grinding up the inside of your aluminum case because something is rubbing or shearing, enough fine aluminum particulate might add a silver hue to your oil. Just a thought. So long as you've got the pan off, perhaps snap a few photos of what you see inside? That could be even more telling.

17. Sparky308

Sparky308 Rookie

Oct 8, 2017
    Full Name:
    Indrojit Sircar
  18. Sparky308

Sparky308 Rookie

Oct 8, 2017
    Full Name:
    Indrojit Sircar
    Someone more shavings

19. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Differential ring bolt.. seen this before.. absolutely wrecks the gear box. The aluminum it's most likely from the ring gear grinding away on the diff cover, then any other boots the loose parts knocked about on. At this point the engine and gear box come out to be separated and then address whether it's worth rebuilding or finding a used box. Good luck, as boxes are hard to find and parts are eye wateringly expensive, oh and the diff bolts are NLA.. I have a gear box in need of those bolts as well.

20. Sparky308

Sparky308 Rookie

Oct 8, 2017
    Full Name:
    Indrojit Sircar
    Seems I have bad days ahead

21. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Come on guys. He is so full of **** it's unreal. Look at the internals of the case not even a smidge of particles on any of the components yet the cover is in that condition. He owns an independent shop and he comes here asking what to do? This guys an a-- clown

22. Sparky308

Sparky308 Rookie

Oct 8, 2017
    Full Name:
    Indrojit Sircar

Seems like you have a major chip on your shoulder brother for reasons unknown to me. It doesn't make someone a clown or full of **** just because I asked for people's opinion on something. I'm not forcing you or pleading you to reply. So you could choose to be out of this thread

23. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    I think you have to pull out the engine and separate the gearbox, removing all the shafts and gears before you destroy the gearbox case. There is something that it's eating out the gearbox case, a rotating steel thing that touches the gearbox or some broken pieces of a gear or of a synchro that is thrown against the aluminium case: you just have to remove all the pieces and see where the problem is. The diff (if the problem is the diff) is available at a fair price here in Italy

ciao