Ferrari's new styling Sucks! | FerrariChat

Ferrari's new styling Sucks!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ernie, Nov 10, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    That is it, I can stand it anymore! The new 612 is just plain and simple UGLY! What in the world are the people at Ferrari thinking? Are they trying to win the ugliest car award? That thing is repulsive. The new styling that has come out of the factory is nasty. The nose of the 360 is dorky looking. The rest of the car is okay, but really nothing special either. The 550/575 aren't that enspiring either. They aren't to argressive looking at all, baring the Prodrive 550's. The nose of the Enzo is the worst. I have seen the car in person, and it does look better in person than in pictures, but I still can't get past the nose. The rest of the car has the exotic look that a Ferrari sould have. But the nose is nothing but an F1 wannabe, and it looks like they hired some doofus that worked at KitCar monthly for advice. Now the 612 takes the cake. That thing is the ugliest of them all. At least the other cars had something other saving aspects to them, but this thing is ugly from every angle. It seem that Ferrari thinks that the new "exotic" look is "ugly". Anyone who drives this thing has to have a personalised plate reading "YUCK". This latest car does nothing to help Ferrari's image. This thing is the road going version of the Fila clown shoes. When will Ferrari get back to making beautiful cars. The older Ferrari's would be compaired to beautiful women. The new ones have to be compaired to bad attitude, ugly, stuck up, rich girls. Just because they are rich and can afford to buy expensive clothing doesn't mean that makes them beautiful. In the same way, just because these new cars have Ferrari on them, and are expensive, doesn't make them exotic.

2. West777

West777 Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2003
    MY OPINION

When Ferrari came out with the 360, I thought it was perfect (even the nose.....dorky?). Then they came out with the Stradale. They improved on perfection. I wouldnt change a thing on it.

Whats not aggressive looking about the 575? With its long nose, large hood scoop, side vents, and short rear-end, Agressive would be the right word to descirbe it in my opinion.

The Enzo? I don't have much to say to you on this. When the car first came out, I had the same feelings for it as you. Everything looked great...except the nose. BUT, It grw on me thats for sure. Now I think The Enzo has a very complex beauty about her. I think Ferrari really hit in on the mark when they created the Enzo. It is everything Mr.Ferrari would want himself. He believed in Form & Function, and I think thats exactly what the Enzo embodies.

The 612....no comment :)

3. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Hmmm, i agree with you on several counts, although i love the Enzo, and i really like the new Stradale. 456/550/575/360/612.....yuck!

4. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Well, the 612 probably thinks you're ugly too.

I don't think the 612 is ugly, I think it's a Scaglietti tribute for the new Millenium and I look forward to seeing it in person. While I'm there, the 612 will probably tell me I'm a handsome devil.

What I see time and time again is how the vast majority of F-Chatters disliked the sight of the Enzo - until they saw one.

5. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I like the looks of the 550 better than the 575, the 360 is growing on me but its still nowhere as nice as a 308 or 355. th e Enzo, well, it Really needs a wing, looks like a Bobtail cat to me. Nose is ok, I dont know what possesed Ferrari & Pininfarina to hire a Japanese designer. He made the Rosso concept car look more like a Miata than a Testa Rossa. the 612, now That nose is goofy looking. side scallops are nice, rest of the car is pretty bland, not exactly what you think of when you think Ferrari, but hey its their family car :)

6. ForzaFerrari

ForzaFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Waldo
    I like the 612 very much...it is a real beauty with several hints to historical Ferraris. The Enzo is absolutely not one of my favourites (the nose...) but it's absolutely not a wanabe F1...it IS a F1 (for two persons...and not for on the F1 track...but evenso a F1!!

The 550 and 575 is definately one of my favorites...not super agressive (but who said a Ferrari should be agrassive). The 550 is long, strong, fast, beautiful, etc...and has a beautiful sound!

The 456 is also a favorite. Must be fantastic to drive with four people at the same time in a Ferrari. It's absolutely a supercar...from every angle!

So...that was my humble opinion! For the rest...I hope Ferrari will keep on making cars...al sort of cars (exept for 4-doors, 4-wheel drives (the 408 was a nice try...but I'm glad the didn't finish it), stations, city-cars, electrical cars or SUVs... ;)

ForzaFerrari (.nl) ;)

7. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    That was my sentiments when the 360 first appeared. But I do like the 550/575 and new 612 though.

8. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    And I am exactly the reverse of several of you...

I find the 360 one of the most beautiful cars ever... I also like the 550 a lot, a very traditional front-engine Ferrari look with a splash of modern sophistication... but the 456 and 612 are a tad frumpy for my tastes, but I'd still take either over my M3 for family sedan duties (except I need 5 seats). I like the 612 a little better than the 456 (reverse of some others).

Just goes to show that beauty is in the eye of the beholder; Ferrari has clearly chosen to appeal to different eyes with its different designs. Contrast that with Lambo... you either like both, or you like none. In fact, it may be you either like everything since the Muira, or you like nothing since the Muira. Many other makers have cars that all look the same... Porsche, Audi, BMW (the SUVs don't count).

On the Enzo... I don't find it a beauty like the F50 or the Mclaren F1... but those sorts of shapes and curves have been duplicated and warped sooo many ways in all of the tuner cars in recent years that I think Ferrari made a wise move by making a major departure... and by going with a look that screams "F1 for the street", they created a look with a different sense of appeal... timed perfectly to coincide with Ferrari's extreme F1 success.

Taken as a whole, I think Ferrari's line-up is uniquely innovative and spectacular. And I would wager that in a few years, you lovers of the 80's Ferrari-styling will have a model that revives many of those styling cues.

9. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Well, of everyone who has spoken to this, I agree with Brian most...love the 360 and 550/575, wasn't crazy about the Enzo but it is growing on me. You're not going to convince anyone when it comes to appearance, just too personal. Look at Ferrari's success with the 360, most people don't agree with you, obviously.

10. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Whoever said the F50 was beautiful needs to go back to art appreciation 101. The F50 is functional, but was a huge step backwards from the F40, one of the best designs ever. My first reaction to the Enzo was WTF? but it's grown on me, kind of like a Swiss Army knife with all its edges exposed. Definitely an improvement on the F50 (but what isn't?). :)

To find real beauty you have to look back to the real Pininfarina designs, those that aren't dictated by the wind tunnel. 275, GTO, 365 GTC (in profile), 365bb, 250LM, 500 Superfast, and ....

And did I mention that the most beautiful car ever produced was the Stradale? The *Alfa Romeo* Stradale!

:)

11. ferrari_kid

ferrari_kid Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2003
    i'd have to agree with brian on a few points also. the 360 really is a beautiful car, same goes with the 550 and 575. as for the enzo, f50, f40, etc, they've all had form follow function. which in their own way makes each of them beautiful. not in the traditional sense, but who likes traditional all the time? i really am glad that ferrari went for a very exotic look with the enzo too, it takes getting used to, but it really made it stand out as not just an exotic, but super exotic.
    as for the 612, i presume i'll get used to it's styling also. only time will tell.

12. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Can anyone look at this photo and tell me that Ferrari has not left exotic design and changed their focuss to Retro cars?

I find the new cars dull. (curves instead of points)

I showed this photo to some of my none-ferrari friends. I asked if any of the blue cars are Ferraris.... they said "no"

Old guys got the big money. Old guys love the retro.
    (ford GT, is going the same way as Ferrari buzzword "Retro")

Just like brake-dancing, I'll be glad when this trend goes back to Exotic.

360 and Enzo are cool. But will ferrari keep going down the path of 612 and 575 or will they get back on the 512tr path?

It sucks watching Lambo Murcielago go up against Ferrari 575 for super exotic car in $250k price range.

13. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The 550 is one of my favorite designs, and one of my top 3 "must haves" in Ferraridom, but I have to admit it doesn't scream FERRARI like the 512TR or the 512bb. Definitely more conservative.

Let's see if I can stir something up.... :)
    I just realized what the F50 reminds me of, the Chaparral 2j -- a big slab-sided box. It just looks ill-proportioned, which is strange since proportioning has been a hallmark of Pininfarina designs.

The 360 looks like a frog, very heavy front end. The 355 was much more elegant.

The 456 is gorgeous, if a little portly, while the 612 looks like a Maserati -- not bad, but not Ferrari.

The 550 is like a Saville Row suit, finely crafted, elegant and purposeful, and takes some knowledge and culture to fully appreciate.

The 512TR is the pinnacle of the Testarossa line, while the F512M is a nightmare hodgepodge of disjointed styling.

but you know what they say about opinions....

14. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    The 360 ROCKS!

the styling is all 100% original. there was no car out there that looked like it. I give Ferrari 100000 thumbs up for the 360 design.

15. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Ferrari and Lambo designs differs in their top dollar production class.
    (I just wanted to look at a side-by-side photo of cars in this price range)

16. West777

West777 Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2003
    If i had th money, i would take the Murci over the 575/550

17. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    Nice pics Mark! Could the GTO BE any cooler!?!?

18. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    well i would agree with the original post.

When i first saw the 328 just had to have it! then the 355 a lovely design that looks good from every angle.

Then the 360. big rounded front end, heavy rear, tacky pseudo alum interior. This car does not scream buy me as a ferrari should.

The 550, a great car, very understated and capable but the design is something more befitting of a big toyota coupe.

If only ferrari came out with something like the gallardo ( with passion included rather than removed!) now that would be more like it!

19. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    The contemporary Ferrari design is different (obviously) from the 70-80's (which I love the most), but they're still beautiful (ESP. WHEN ACTUALLY SEEN IN PERSON) and very far from "ugly." Before I never cared for the F-50 but that was until I saw one. I realize this applies to all Fcars. To me, their beauty is magnified several-fold when seen in person. But I guess...to each his own.

20. JimSchad

JimSchad Guest

I have to agree Ferrari is getting boring. Ford Taurus already has the round anal suppository shape cornered!

Notice lambo went back to the angular look with the murci and gallardo. The diablo was starting to get pretty rounded. Went by Ferrari and Lambo shops yesterday and left the lambo shop with a bigger feeling of awe.

21. mw575

mw575 F1 Rookie

May 30, 2001
    Lake Oswego,Or
    Full Name:
    Martin J Weiner,M.D.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! DUH!!

22. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Murcielago rocks!

23. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

I have to partially agree here that the 612 simply underwhelms me, although I have not seen it in person. Front looks like a Panoz Esperante, the wheels are way too small for the body, and the hood is way too long. Also, the interior is WAY too boy-racerish for a $240,000 luxury 2+2 GT car; it does not exude any class at all. I have seen beter interiors that exude class & GT luxury on the entry level Lexus ES300. Finally, I find it truly amazing that the 612, using 100% aluminum for the frame and body, is several hundred pounds HEAVIER than my steel-tube-framed 550...

On a positive note, the engine is a marvel, and is FINALLY behind the front axle for better weight distribution...

Lambos are beautiful now, IMO. The Murci is spectacular, and the Gallardo is simply worlds above the 360, IMO. But then again, that is in the eye of the beholder!!

24. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    The Lamborghini car exterior design in my opinion has not changed at all over the past 20 years. If you look at the ones built in the 80's & 90's...you really can not see that much difference than the ones built now. That is why I have no respect for Lamborghini styling. They all look the same.

Now for Ferrari, they have many models which look totally different. Some models may look very similar, but in general the Ferraris built from the 80's till now are very unique in appearance. I can't say the same for Lambo.

Just my thoughts.

25. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Murcielago is like 100K more than a 550/575. I don't really see them in the same category. The Murcielago is sort of in the same range as a used F40...and I would definitely rather have the latter.