What does an F430 coupe weigh? | FerrariChat

What does an F430 coupe weigh?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Gary(SF), Feb 1, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    #1 Gary(SF), Feb 1, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Had my F430 lowered, corner weighted, and aligned today at Custom Alignment in Mountain View, CA. They clearly know what they are doing, their tech has considerable race setup experience, and I could tell from talking to him he had a good grasp of chassis dynamics. We ultimately ended up with 3 lbs difference across the car at the rear, 2 at the front.

As part of the corner balancing the car was weighed, of course. With half tank of fuel it came in at 3265. He had an F1-equipped F430 a few weeks ago and he said it weighed almost 200 lbs more. First time I've seen any numbers associated with the F1, and it's more than I would have thought. Of course there may be other differences I'm not aware of.

Lowered the car about 1/2" in back, about 9/16" in front. I didn't want to go too low, and these are Euro ride height specs.

More pics later.

Gary
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. richard

richard Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Richard Thompson III
    Wow! Heavier than I thought, for certain. Isn't the advertised weight somewhere around 3100? I guess that 3100 is completely dry.

3. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Factory literature shows curb weight at 3196, and that is for the Euro car, US cars are typically somewhat heavier. Weight is about where I figured it would be. I am surprised at the weight penalty for F1, however.

Gary

4. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    TDF-
    could it be for other things? the ceramic brakes look so much bigger, even tho they are lighter on a size basis, maybe they weigh more? also, seat motors, are urs manual or electric?

5. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    I've got electric seats, and my understanding is the ceramic brakes are lighter than the standard brakes, otherwise much of the advantage is gone.

Some notes from the alignment...as is so often the case, the rear toe was a bit off. When measured before alignment, left toe was 5/32 and right was -1/32.

Gary

6. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I would have to double check my manual, but if memory serves it said curb (wet) weight was 3250-75 range. CC brakes and racing seats would be lower. Perhaps the challenge wheels are little lighter also. Interestingly, my 328 GTB is about identical as is my Subie STI. The 430 is the biggest of the 3 of course.

Dave

7. cbreed

cbreed Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Jonestown, Tx
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Hey tdf360, I'm also here in teh Bay Area with a Red/Tan 430. What did they charge you? and are you glad you spent the money? Cheers, CB

8. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

That's cool.

FWIW, I chatted with one of the engineers that worked on the 430 and the challenge car when I was at the Mugello track about lowering and he said don't bother. The car is optimally set up at the current height and you risk messing things up. Without being a techy that's what I got out of it.

I bring this up not to challenge anyone that wants to lower but as an FYI for those on the fence about it.

Just passing along the info here so don't shoot the messenger :)

Let us know if it improves the car at all?

9. SROC4

SROC4 Formula 3

Mar 16, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Looks good, Gary! Can't wait to see it on one of our drives!

10. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Looks great . I plan on doing the same thing this spring.I'm sure the quoted factory engineer was correct regarding the optimal setup , but the type of driving i do (not tracked) , i doubt seriously it would affect the dynamics enough for me to notice. Certainly with the addition of a @ 200 lb passenger , the car sits lower as well.As long as you had it realigned ,i would think it would be just fine. Let us know if you notice any adverse handling characteristics .
    I plan on lowering the front @15mm and the rear @12mm. My only concern is navigating my driveway . Time will tell. Thanks for the update and information.

11. F430SilverArrow

F430SilverArrow Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2005
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Robert Spiteri
    Gary, I am throwing my passenger seat out. Hell no one is ever in it anyways :) My wife is always with the kids and she hates speeds over 70mph. So does make mine lighter than your now.

12. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    ALL modern cars weight too damn much!

13. Jack(LA)

Jack(LA) Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Los Angeles
    #13 Jack(LA), Feb 1, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Gary,

Your car looks fabuloso -- I think you'll find it rides better at that height as well.

On the weight issue -- my F1 car came in at 3286 with almost a full tank of gas. So either your tech was wrong about the weight or it was not the F1 tranny that caused the weight penalty. :confused:

Of course, I do have the racing seats, carbon ceramic brakes and carbon engine panels/air boxes, which does save some weight from the stock setup. But, once you take into account my extra gas, that brings my car in at a lower weight than yours, assuming 1 gal of gas weighs around 7-8 pounds. ;)

I'm such a photo slut! :D

14. Piton

Piton Karting

Sep 11, 2005
    Nice Gary, that jibes with other F430 results I've seen, though 200lbs for an F1 car is a bit high. It's closer to 100lbs, and with electric seats they tend to be in the 3340-3380lb. range usually. Jack's numbers are pretty close for an F1 car with all of the lighter options.

Every bit helps, lurkers wondering how they should outfit their 430 should note that just by going with the sport seats (which are more fun anyway), and the ceramic discs, you're looking at saving nearly a hundred pounds of weight. Most of that is in the seats themselves, they really are that heavy.

Easier than going on a diet. ;)

15. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Well, my thought was to get the car set to Euro specs. The US cars are set to about 1/2" to 3/4" higher ride height than the Euro cars, apparently for our headlight and bumper height restrictions. I agree I would not lower a Euro car. I think the alignment and corner weighting will help on the track, probably not noticable on the street. And let's face it, the car certainly looks better a bit lower, at stock ride height I could put four fingers between the tire and the fender.

Gary

16. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    You have a PM...

Gary

17. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Maybe the scales are like dynos, and you can only compare those measured on the same units...:)

I never get tired of looking at your car!

Gary

18. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Yep, makes sense.

19. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Jeez, I should never do math in public. I looked over the numbers this morning and the weight was 3235 with half tank, not 3265...

Gary

20. SROC4

SROC4 Formula 3

Mar 16, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Hey Gary! Anymore pics of the car?

21. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Gas is about 6 and a quarter pounds per gallon, but I've heard F1 tranny adds about 50lbs. I think the F1 car he weighed before could've had other variables in it. Iron rotors, everything electric, full tank of gas, after market sound system, etc.

Edit: What's the tank capacity in the F430?

22. GSpyder

GSpyder Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jan 10, 2006
    Maui, Az, FL
    Full Name:
    Allan-Lambo
    You mean to tell me Ferrari lied about the weight? Id of never believed that!:)

23. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Actually it is remarkably close to factory specs. The Euro cars are perhaps a few pounds lighter, and my car had some personal stuff in the trunk. I would say the variation from factory spec was on the order of .01%. Those lyin' thieves!

Gary

24. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    25.1 US Gallons.

Gary

25. Jack(LA)

Jack(LA) Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Los Angeles

Thanks for the info re gas weight. Accordingly, having around 23 or so gallons of gas in the tank instead of a half of tank would add approximately another 60+ lbs of weight. So that means my car came in ~9 lbs less than Gary's revised weight figure...... wow that will help during qualifying. :D :D