Changed profile pic- Now McLaren F1 | FerrariChat

Changed profile pic- Now McLaren F1

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by AnotherDunneDeal, Jan 24, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Hey guys,

A lot of you know the story of my friend letting me have his McLaren F1 for three days. I found some pictures of it and decided to put one as my profile pic. The little guy waving from the front seat is my son, 7 years ago. It seems like yesterday that I was allowed to have this car, the image of it in front of my house are still vivid.

Enjoy.........

2. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

Good stuff!

3. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    For those who don't remember or weren't around.......:)
    click the smiley, remember threads started at the bottom on the old board

4. ELIM

ELIM Formula 3

Apr 29, 2005
    OC, CA
    Full Name:
    Elliot
    That was a great read. Your friend is a true enthusiast...sharing with others! :)

5. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    James, awesome...! Any other stories you can share with us...? :)

Mark, LMAO...!

6. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
    ... Nice! Can you email me some hi-res pics of her? webbpssht at gmail dot com

7. rush109

rush109 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Joshua McRae
    Amazing just Amazing....lucky man....

8. MalkaJB

MalkaJB Karting

Jul 22, 2005
    La Jolla
    Full Name:
    John
    Carl Beal, chassis #042. Not sure how recently you have spoken to him, but there is rumor that it has been painted red to match his Enzo. Do you know anything about this?

Oh, and thanks for sharing your story.

9. CMY

CMY F1 World Champ

Oct 15, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I've got pictures of it being repainted somewhere..

Great story, BTW. I don't think I could resist hitting up the drive-thru for a photo-op if I had it!

10. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Great story! Could you post more pics if you got any please?!

You have pictures of them actually repainting it or the ones of them disassembling bodywork?

11. CMY

CMY F1 World Champ

Oct 15, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Don't remember.. I think it was the bodywork shots (in what looked like a typical garage).

12. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
  13. NVPhotoman007

NVPhotoman007 Formula 3

Aug 9, 2004
    ASU_Acob Notar Lf.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    wow u cant beat that story. good for him..is the huy who drove it still here?

14. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Sigh.....

15. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Yes, it has been repainted to match his Enzo.. Writerguy went out to Midland for the Jim Hall Chaparral Mueseum opening and got to spend some time with him. He and his dad were the original money backers behind the Chaparral project with Jim Hall. Writerguy took some pictures and you can find them in the archives.

Carty has his own technician that he took to Italy when he bought his first Countach and got him certified so he could work on his car under factory approval. He had the first Countach in the US. The technician has since converted Carty's Diablo to a 2WD instead of 4WD car. Lambo guys came over to see it and were amazed at the quality with which the job was done. He offered to sell them the driveline design..............

16. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Thanks for reposting that story. I had forgotten it was even on here.

There is another neat picture taken from the front of in if you will click on Audiguy, go to public profile and look up "threads started by Audiguy". About halfway down is a mention of something like "McLaren, dirt bike and altered" or something of that sort. You will know it when you see it. It has two pictures of the McLaren, including the one on the profile now, two pictures of my last altered roadster and an old picture of me when I rode for Kawasaki at the Lake Whitney 250 National in 1973. I am passing Tony Distefano (future national champion) when he was riding as a privateer on a CZ.

17. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    I do not have any high res photos. These were all taken with a disposable 35mm and the prints were scanned in by Writerguy for me. If I had some I would send them to you. I do have about 12 photos of the interior, engine bay and actually one with me driving while taking the BMW district manager for a ride. Same thing though, all taken with a disposable camera in 1999.

18. Dcup

Dcup F1 Veteran

Jan 3, 2005
    Between 2 Implants
    Full Name:
    Claude Balls
    nice mother ****ing car !!!!!!!!

19. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    I was just happy to find it on the old board..... it's an FChat classic.

20. XR4Tim

XR4Tim Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    Medina, OH
    I have that issue of Road & Track somewhere.

21. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    NNO,

Good to hear from you. I have not heard from you since you and Darth550 called me about midnight on that conference call a couple of year back,,,,,,remember that???????

Another story about this car? Okay,

When he went to New Jersey to pick it up upon arrival from Surrey, England he decided to drive it back to Midland, Texas. In order to be certified for US registration it had to have those absolutely hideous front bumers on it that he removed very quickly and could only have the driver seat since the two passenger seats were not legal in the US. He had his wife with him and only the driver seat. They went to the local bed and bath and bought several large beach towels and she rode from New Jersey to Texas in the seatwell on beach towels. She says it was fun but she will not do that again...........

While driving it the second evening I was taking our service manager and a receptionist for a short ride and a 911 started trying to pick on us. I drove away from him on two different times but he kept picking anyway. I finally had about a 1/3 mile staight so I absolutely blew him away. He followed me back to the dealership and actually pulled into the service dept behind us and got out and asked "Hey old man, what did you do to that NSX to get it to accelerate that fast"? I did get the chance to prove his automotive ignorance in front of his friend who was sitting in the front seat of the Porsche afraid to get out..........Lots of fun........

22. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    I still have mine too. I actually got him to autograph it for me before he took the car back to Midland........

23. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    NNO, I sent another story out to you. BTW, I have not spoken or exchanged emails with you in some time now. Are you still with FML. Being out of the dealerships now, I have lost contact.......

24. Seth

Seth Formula 3

Feb 8, 2004
    Texas
    "only" 170 miles???? man.... that thing in 3 days would have had about 1000 new miles from me!

ha either way ive never driven one... very cool

25. Supercarlover

Supercarlover Formula 3

Sep 30, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Joshua B.
    James, everytime I read this story, I'm awestruck. Its amazing what good relationships will bring about. Plus, I've always said....I don't have to own the cars, I just want to drive them. :D