"Vintage" battery for 1967 330 GTC? | FerrariChat

"Vintage" battery for 1967 330 GTC?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by eric, Feb 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. eric

eric Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2001
    Albion, CA
    A couple quesitons for you all:

1) What was the battery type that would have come with a 1967 330 GTC? I'm looking for the manufacturer most specifically. Was the battery something sourced by Ferrari or by dealers? Is there one make, or were there several?

2) Is there someone out there who makes and sells reproduction batteries to fit this car? I've found a couple sites on the web for companies who sell "vintage" batteries, but they don't much talk about Ferraris: just GM, Ford, and Chrysler (www.antiqueautobattery.com and www.turbostart.com).

I realize an Optima battery will work fine, actually better than an old fashioned battery would, but I'd like to have one that looked right for show, and will use the Optima for driving. I've seen cars at Pebble Beach that had what looked like period-correct batteries under the hood, with a modern battery sitting on the ground behind. Clearly they had changed out batteries for the show.

Any pointers appreciated.

thx

2. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    It would be great if someone made a battery case that looked exactly like one of the old, large batteries that came originally in these cars. Then inside that "battery" you could place the Optima. Best of both worlds!

With I could point you in the right direction. I use an Optima in the Daytona, to heck with the anal concours types.

Terry

3. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    It IS possible to put the guts of a new battery into the case of an old battery, but it isn't easy. I've seen the results of a job like this. And someone (Parker Hall??) sells the stickers to replicate old batteries from Varta or Baroclem.

4. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    GTCs had either FIAMM or SAFA batteries. Reproductions of these are no longer available.

I would suggest getting a "period-correct" American reproduction, like the faux-tar-top ones from Antique Auto Battery. That is, if they have ones that don't say "Mopar" or "Ford" or whatever on the side. A tar top is what you would have used (at least in the US) in 1967 to replace the original battery. It looks a lot better, to me at least, than an Optima or a Sears Diehard.

5. eric

eric Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2001
    Albion, CA
    Thanks!

I’ve pored over my photos of GTCs, 275s, and other fcars of that era, and have sadly no clear photos of the batteries. They’re usually hidden behind a windshield washer bag.

This is a great help!. I suspect I’ll do as you suggest and get a battery that has the least amount of branding on it.

6. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

7. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Got it. They have 50's and 60's charts with specifications for many cars. Build 25,000 batteries a year according to the article.

Lincoln Batteries
    Essex England
    www.lincoln.co.uk
    email [email protected]

Good Hunting

8. eric

eric Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2001
    Albion, CA

Excellent! This sounds very interesting. I checked the web site link, and only got a cute little place holder page. I'll drop them an email and see if I can get some info.

Thank you!

eric

9. CHRISA

CHRISA Rookie

Nov 25, 2003
    COSTA MESA CA
    Full Name:
    CHRIS ANDERSON
    TRY THESE GUYS GURDJIAN BATTERY 814-438-2048 THEY MADE ME A TAR TOP BATTERY AND IT WORKS FINE AND THEN CALL KILIMANJARO DESIGNS 601-638-7856 TO GET THE DECALS