250 PF Coupe ... | FerrariChat

250 PF Coupe ...

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by djaffrey, Dec 13, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Darren,

This one's nice, but I'll wait a couple of months until the coupe prices come back to reality, they are starting to approach Lusso numbers. By the way, what happened to the one you were buying?

Art S.

2. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    god dang, that's pretty - what was a PF Coupe in that condition 4 years ago? 100k less?

Tegeltje likes this.
  3. djaffrey

djaffrey Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    DJ
    I bought it. Currently with Terry Hoyle in the UK having some work done. Nice straight disk brake, outside plug car.

I looked for quite a while, maybe 2 years. Was worth the wait.

Darren.

4. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Congratulations Darren!

will you be providing details?

I was looking for a PF Coupe when I bought my 330. For better or worse, I fell in love with my car and haven't moved on.

Bryan P.,

From '97 till '00, PF Coupes were considered ugly (almost in line with 4 headlight 330's). I could have bought a Colorado Grand ready car for $40k (I was actually offered one for this amount, including dealer commissions).

Regards,

Art S.

5. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I think it's time for a new reality. One of the greatest sleepers in Ferrari history is coming of age.

6. Dave330gtc

Dave330gtc Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2002
    NW Indiana
    Full Name:
    David Smith
    I find this ad pretty interesting. I used to own #1635 which obviously is the car immediately before this in sequence and my car had the lever shocks not Konis. It also had the outside plug engine, 16" Borranis, and 4 speed with overdrive.

7. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    about 6 years ago I came very close to buying 1689 - silver w/ tan -from a guy in Dallas. Older restoration, but the motor was out of it and in pieces at Norwood's. The seller wanted 35k. Questions about a possible cracked crank kept me from leaping. Does anyone know what happened to it?

I think 1493 is the last drum brake PF Coupe. I have heard that earlier drum-brake cars occassionally went back to Ferrari for a disc brake retrofit. The switch to motor tipo 128F from 128D is around the same serial. I have also heard (from Dick Merritt) that the rear ends of these cars would also give up the ghost from hard use, but that the diff from a '47 Ford pickup would fit right in and never die. . . . I wonder how many concours PF Coupes have an ancient Ford diff?

8. Ed_Long

Ed_Long Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Salem, Oregon USA
    Full Name:
    Ed Long
    Wow! What a beauty! And what an outrageous price! It looks a lot like mine, s.n. 1747, but mine does not have the ashtray between the seats. And mine has amber side lights in front of the front wheel arch. It looks to have been reupholstered or never sat in.

9. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    I suppose not all PF coupes came with black dash covers.

The car has potenrial.

Another interesting thing is some coupes came with interiors made of hide and vynal and some came with all hide.

john

10. djaffrey

djaffrey Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    DJ
    #11 djaffrey, Dec 14, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Art,

As requested #1899.

Disk, outside plug, 1960 car. First owner Tito Manzini of Parma then onto Ron Mulacek, various others, Steve Pilkington in the UK and now me. Spoken to Ron Mulacek about the car ... lots of great stories.

The car is actually Ivory over Black (originally Grigio/Rosso) although it looks White in the photos. Its quite an understated combination. Car drives just beautifully and is very original. Clock reads 29,874 but having that checked out.

Darren
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Wow, congratulations Darren, glad to see you found the right car in the end.
    Looking forward to more pictures when you get it back.

Cheers
    Simon

12. EnzoNZ

EnzoNZ F1 Rookie

Nov 9, 2001
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Andrew Wass
    Hi Bryan

I was telling Mike today that the same car was in FML in 2001 for $65K

FML 26/1 19/9/01
    250 GT PF COUPE, S/N 1637 GT (1960). White with black interior. Documented one owner with 43,000 miles. All tools, books, bills of sale. First Ferrari sold to Japan. $65,000. E-mail photos & further information on request. 1/01 Garry Roberts, [email protected] , 949-650-2690

Cheers
    Andrew in NZ

13. djaffrey

djaffrey Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    DJ
    #14 djaffrey, Dec 14, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Looks more like he produced canning machines. Macchine per conserve.

15. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    such a beauty....

the car, i mean the car.

16. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

And don't forget some cars have fiberglass trunk lids.

17. greg512tr

greg512tr Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 19, 2002
    Dallas TX
    Full Name:
    Greg B
    I disagree that they were considered ugly, they have been described in the past as very conservative, understated, and and "unwanted" compared with the other 250 two seaters. The lines on a PF Coupe are so clean and smooth there is nothing ugly about them. Stately, conservative styling maybe, but NEVER ugly.

Greg

18. greg512tr

greg512tr Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 19, 2002
    Dallas TX
    Full Name:
    Greg B
    The last reported sale in Sports Car Market was in March for $190k for a 2+ car. Usually only 2 or 3 available for sale in the world at a given time with not many popping up in the US. Maybe only a 100 left surviving?

Greg

19. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    AFAIK all coupes came with black dash covers. It would be nice to know whether the all leather interior (in comparison to vinyl & leather) only refers to the material of dash cover, or if there were other vinyl parts too.

Best wishes, Kare

20. djaffrey

djaffrey Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Greg raises a good quetsion - how many PF's are left ? Is there a register ?

Darren.

21. Dave330gtc

Dave330gtc Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2002
    NW Indiana
    Full Name:
    David Smith
    I always thought that there was a pretty strong styling relationship between the PF coupe and the Continental Mark II. I think the Continental is one of the most beautifully styled cars for it's time. Both cars are very understated and elegant.

22. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

Typically the rear luggage area was vinyl also. Very few were leather originally.

23. dbcooper

dbcooper Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2005
    Costa Mesa,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Tim Romero
    I worked on and drove this car when I worked for Garry Roberts.It was Rather rough but it ran and drove nice.I drove it quite a bit and I really enjoyed driving it.a sweet cruiser.The paint at the time looked like it was applied with a roller but it was complete including the aluminum pan that covered the bottom of the car(even used said pan as a guide to make a copy for a TDF)I grew to appreciate the PF coupe,more so than before I experienced it . Tim

Texas Forever likes this.
  24. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Greg,

The PF Coupe is my favorite (I drool over pictures of John V's car regularly). My comment was based on my impression of the write-ups, not my personal view. However, you're right, bland would probobly be a better choice of the summary of the styling opinions from a few years back.

Darren,

I love it! Does the LHD bother you in English driving? You'll have to ship it across the pond and run the Colorado Grand with it.

I hope you put many happy miles on it.

Regards,

Art S.