360 Spider softtop hydraulics | FerrariChat

360 Spider softtop hydraulics

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by ferrarilou, Dec 10, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrarilou

ferrarilou Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2004
    US
    Full Name:
    Lou Menditto
    I tried to post this question already about 20mins ago, but it hasn't shown up so I'm anticipating that I did something wrong while rushing. Appologies in advance if it shows up twice.

My 360 spider softtop no longer operates without manual coaxing. I suspect the hydraulic fluid is low, but can't fingure out how to fill it. I've checked the archives and found multiple references to 355 problems in this area. The archives were helpful in identifying the right fluid (Mercedes or Jaguar softtop hydraulic fluid). I've also checked the owner's manual and parts book ... no luck. Visual inspection under the softtop cover and behind the rear panel interior trim didn't show anything obvious either.

Can someone point me to the right refill location for these hydraulics on the 360?

Thanks.

Lou

2. fmaderi

fmaderi Formula Junior

May 8, 2005
    clearwater Fla/NY
    Full Name:
    frank maderi
    check between the seats for resv.remove elec.block to find fill plug.try adding 2oz to start.

3. ferrarilou

Apr 13, 2004
    US
    Full Name:
    Lou Menditto
    #3 ferrarilou, Dec 10, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks. I think I'm getting closer. There is indeed a translucent plastic canister buried behind the hydraulic lines and control valves on the passenger side of the car. The first photo below shows this.

The canister appears to be half full, and is bigger than I expected. The fluid level is even with a dot molded into the side of the canister, so this could signify that the level is already correct. Without any instructions this is hard
    to determine. The second photo below shows the canister and control valves after I pulled the assembly from its roost and turned it to face the car interior.

The plug above the canister (the one where I added a black line to remind me of its starting position) was very tight but my impact wrench zipped it right off. I'll get some of the Mercedes fluid early in the week and see if increasing the level gets the top working again.

Lou
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. ferrarilou

Apr 13, 2004
    US
    Full Name:
    Lou Menditto
    Just wanted to close the loop on this and let everyone know this was indeed the fix to the problem. I used the Mercedes ZH-M fluid. Squirted it in with a squeeze bottle I had saved from the days of refilling ink-jet cartridges, so as to avoid any chance of spilling. BTW, the advice from the dealer was that for a 360 you should go with the Mercedes fluid rather than the green Jaguar fluid.

5. Steve R

Steve R F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 15, 2004
    MeSoNeedy, CA
    Full Name:
    TorQ Master
    #5 Steve R, Oct 2, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I just had the same problem, the top didn't work smooth and eventually stopped working. It was the fluid level, low. I was able to get the plug out without removing the whole harness and pulling the assembly out. I've included the tools you'll need to do the job.

Just pull the panel off and move the seat-belt out of the way...you can see the reservoir. I'm not sure which size allen-wrench I used, but I got it right on the first guess. My allen wrench fit right back there (tight) but I got it in. I then used a chisel to keep pressure on the back of the allen wrench to keep it in tight. Not often do you get to use a chisel on a Ferrari :)

I then took a screwdriver that has a removable end...I removed the end and slipped it over the allen wrench like a torque-bar. With a firm uplifting movement, I easily loosened the cap. A few turns with the allen wrench and then you can use your finger to rotate it out. No problem.

I used a syringe from a marinade thingy (available at the market)...then some drip irrigation tubing, and finally an irrigation tubing connector which I grinded down to be more of a needle. YOU WON'T NEED TO DO THIS....even if you push the tube all the way in, much of it will flow out as you inject. Here is the big key: either jack the passenger side of the car up OR park it on a curb so that it's at an agle: you need the fluid to fall into the reservoir.....it will do this if the car is leaning sideways!

Fluid in, cap on....reassemble area VIOLA'

Too easy!!

here are the tools I used:

6. damaged

damaged Karting
    BANNED

Mar 1, 2006
    los angeles
    Full Name:
    D
    Steve,
    if your insulation work ever slows down, I think I will hire you as a tech, Its rare to find someone who uses the initiative to solve problems instead of just breaking stuff. Glad the roof works

7. damaged

damaged Karting
    BANNED

Mar 1, 2006
    los angeles
    Full Name:
    D
    That pump, valve block and lines look like they where lifted right out of a Benz, hence the use of MB fluid.

8. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Since the hydrallic system likes to lose fluid, is it possible the system may injest air into the lines?? Does the system cycle through the fluid (self bleeding) like a power steering system??

Mine has to be helped a little by hand too. So it looks this is next on the fix it list.

9. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    very very helpful thanks.

Ive just taken off the panel and discovered that my res level is now well below half full hence why im starting why the roof is now struggling to close.

One stupid question, can anyone tell me where the cap is i need to unscrew to syringe in the new fluid ???

10. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    Ok one quick update from me. Just been to Mercedes (Reading UK) and bought 1 litre of the Merc Fluid for my roof total cost £10.46 GBP bargain !!!.

Have also been to Halfords and got some gadgets to help insert the fluid.

11. ferrarilou

Apr 13, 2004
    US
    Full Name:
    Lou Menditto
    The cap you need to unscrew is the one in the photo above that I had put the black line across. It unfortunately faces the side of the car and there is very little room to fit the allen wrench in there, but it is indeed possible. Then you need to snake a thin hose into it to get the fluid in the right spot. The hole is smaller behind the plug and is offset to the bottom, so don't be surprised that the hose doesn't slide in easily till you hit the right spot. BTW, put a lot of towels over your carpet in case you miss.

Lou

12. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    thanks lou

just did another write up with some more pics to help everyone out. sorted mine now only took around 30 mins. Thanks for the great advice.

13. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    My understanding is the Mercedes hydraulic fluid is just relabeled Pentosin (apparently all the German car makers use it). http://www.pentosin.de/ They make a couple different ones. I use the Pentosin CFH 11S. So if a Mercedes dealer is not nearby, you could source this online or from an foreign auto parts house.

14. ferrarilou

Apr 13, 2004
    US
    Full Name:
    Lou Menditto
    The Pentosin 11S is the green stuff (available from Jaguar). I have a brand new quart of it that I never used because it had a warning on it about not being mixable with other fluids. I know the 355 guys have talked about it being right for their cars, and it may indeed be correct for the 355, but I was too nervous to use it in the 360. From the Jaguar dealer it was rather expensive.

Lou

15. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    That's interesting Lou, you saw this warning on the can? I don't recall this on the can I have (I'm travelling so I can't check), nor any such warnings on the Pentosin website or product description:
    http://www.pentosin.de/shop_produkt.php?c=214,228&pid=668&vid=

http://www.pentosin.de/flexxtrader/data/usf/Pentosin%20CHF%2011S_GB.pdf

The product has many vehicle manufacturer approvals, as listed on the page above, including DaimlerChrysler (Mercedes).

The Mercedes fluid you are mentioning, may in fact be the Pentosin LH-M which seems very similar in coding to the Mercedes label ZH-M. The difference being that it appears to be a mineral based product, where the CHF 11S and CHF 202 are synthetics.

I think you did the safest thing and take the recommendation of your dealer.

16. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    That's beacuse the top mechanism is German made by same company that makes for M-B.

Sorry, but Steve could not accept that position. It has been already taken by Ray Johns!!!

17. djastral69

djastral69 Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Fl
    Full Name:
    David
    Hey guys, what is thelevel that you fill the resevour to. I see that it has a mark in the middle of the center but is that indeed the fill point? Any help on this would greatly appreciated.