Need Help on 355 Wheel Rims | FerrariChat

Need Help on 355 Wheel Rims

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by pchop, Feb 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pchop

pchop F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2002
    Usually NY often elsewhere.
    Full Name:
    John
    Just got the news from Ferrari of Long Island that I have successfully bent my front two rims. The cost of replacing them: $1,400 each...yes, each.

Am I being robbed blind here? If anyone knows of a good source for the rims, please let me know.

Thx.

2. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory
    John how badly are they bent? If you needed the dealer to tell you they were I suspect it must be very slight. There are ads, I see them all the time for places that repair rims and from what I have been told and from the pictures in their ads they somtimes fix ones that have taken heavy damage. Please note I do not have any first hand experiences with these shops but if the damage is light I think it would be worth checking out. Let me know if you need the names of any of them. Greg

3. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    You might also want to check with the F-Chat sponsors, since many of them sell original F-parts. Does seem high; but then all things Ferrari do.

May I ask how this happened. Pothole? Or something much worse?

4. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    Call Wheels America. They have one price for wheel repair REGARDLESS of the damage. $109.00. This includes welding, straightening, striipping, painting, and clearcoating. They did 4 wheels on my Mondial. Very pleasant to deal with and a 1 day turnaround. They even have a location in Farmingdale. 631-756-9303---888-3-FIX-RIM.

BTW --- Did FoLI say they'd buy you dinner before they xxxx'd you ? At least flowers and candy ? ;) (just kidding.)

Good Luck.

Tom

5. technik1

technik1 Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Gus Technik
    You want to send them to Wheel Collision Center, Bath Pa. I've used them for evryting from basic silver wheels, to satin silver, polished lips, and multi-piece wheels--the Lamborghini Diablo wheels were factory perfect when returned.

I've used Wheels Americs several times when I was Service Director at Manhattan Motorcars, and found while the wheels were returned 'true', the paint quality was questionable, and the shade of silver was not accurate--usually darker.

You should know, that although this process will straighten the wheel pecfectly, it is still somewhat vulnerable in the repaired area--that is to say, that area can be bent easier than the rest of the wheel. Still, I've advised several of my exotic owner that really 'drive' their cars clients to purchase 1 front & 1 rear wheel to have as turn-arounds (spares), to swap as needed while their damaged wheels are being repaired.

Gus
    Technik 1
    F-Chat sponsor

6. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Just out of curiosity, what would be the "all in" charge of having wheels sent elsewhere. Ie, pchop will presumably have to:

(1) Get a professional to take off the wheels;
    (2) Pay to have the car stored somewhere while the wheels are being fixed;
    (3) Pay for freight charges for two sets of (presumably heavy) wheels to and from the repair shop; and
    (4) When the wheels are returned, pay for installation, alignment, offset, etc.

Just curious to know how much these "additional costs" would add to, say a, $100 - $200 quote by an independent wheel shop to just fix the wheel?

Regards.