F550 Dyno curves, anyone? | FerrariChat

F550 Dyno curves, anyone?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by maranello71, Nov 22, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. maranello71

maranello71 Formula 3

Jan 23, 2004
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Andre
    I'm looking for anyone able to supply me with a genuine, measured full-load dyno curve of a Ferrari 550 Maranello with the following equipment:

A) standard
    B) Tubi exhaust
    C) Capristo or Fuchs exhaust

I've heard so many conflicting opinions that I don't know what to believe anymore, I just want hard facts!

Some people claim that the reduced backpressure of a Tubi will release up to +30 HP in the higher rev range and reduce fuel consumption and operating temperatures. As an engineer I could believe a gain of 10-15 HP thanks to the free flow - it makes physical sense.

On the other hand other people claim that a Tubi will actually reduce mid-range power without any significant top end benefits, because it screws up the careful tuning of pressure waves in the exhaust. This could also be true, but only for certain engine speeds.

Bottom line: WHO IS RIGHT?

2. paul.zr1

paul.zr1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Paul Dehnert
    I installed the Tubi "race" mufflers on my '01 550 and did a before and after on a Dyno Jet chassis dyno. If your not familiar with the "race" Tubi's, they are a straight thru tubular design with two outlets on each side like a normal Tubi "large can" type muffler. Esentially staight pipes with perferations around the inner pipe. The sound is only slightly louder than regular Tubi's, but lighter weight. The stock center section muffler and cats were left on the car.

The car dynoed at 410 rwhp completely stock and 400 hp with the Tubi's installed. Yes I lost 10 rwhp! I'm told that the ECU will "relearn" the proper air/fuel ration with the reduced back pressure and I'll get the 10 rwhp back and a few more due to reduced back pressure with the Tubi's.

Stephen and Phil, from down under, have taken the next steps of replacing the center muffler with siamesed staight pipes and gone to BMC air filters. I believe this produced around 440 to 450 rwhp, which is pretty amazing. Apparently the stock air box/filters are a bottleneck to performance on the 550.

Paul