Mondial air conditioning/heater improvements. | FerrariChat

Mondial air conditioning/heater improvements.

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by snj5, Oct 8, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    The Mondial a/c is very powerful, but the ventilation system seems to have a couple of easy maintenence items concerning air leakage that will improve its efficiency. The goal is to get the cool/hot air from the front box to the cabin as effectively and quickly as possible with minumum loss. The air conditioner/heater puts out a good deal of cool and warm air, but the ducting system can hinder its delivery.

1. The foam seal of the heater/a/c box to the front dash vent deteriorates after time, allowing cool air to leak into the back of the dash and not making it to the cabin. I am planning to renew this foam gasket with a new tight seal so no cool/hot air is lost. If you have not checked this foam seal, you can feel it by reaching up under the dash to the central vent. When I did, the foam disintegrated and I could feel air leaks around the entire joint.

2. I am also going to a more efficient Mondial specific central airvent with 50% increased flow and better up-aiming capability. For non-Mondial owners, turning the vanes upward also closes off the vent. This specifically designed black anodized aluminum central vent is available from STCorsa.com and fits all Mondials replacing the plastic center vent without modification.

3. Further loss of flow pressure and teperature differential comes from features that are simply not effective, seldom used, and do not really work well anyway. At least for me, I never use the rear seat a/c vents, which are fed by a long hose from the front. I plan to cap the duct off at the heater box to keep maximum flow to the dash vents without the losses to the long hose and vent. Similarly, I cannot see where the little vents that are supposed to defrost the side windows to see the mirrors do anything. They do however, act to draw pressure and heating /cooling air from the main cabin and add inefficiency. These are easy to close off and re-open later if needed for originality.This will direct all of the airflow to the front center and side dash vents, or the footwell vents (YES, THERE ARE MANUALLY OPERATED FOOTWELL HEATING VENTS - look underneath and see what many Mondial owners never know)

All suggestions, experience and ideas welcome!

2. Ed P.

Ed P. Formula 3

Dec 28, 2002
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    No Longer
    Russ, Any suggestions on getting more flow to the windshield defroster? I seem to have very good flow with AC and heat through the dash, but if I need to clear the windshield it is weak at best. I'm wondering if it is partially blocked or just seriously leaking as you suggest. I guess I should look in there.

3. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Defrosters are a big deal to me as well, and fortunately my defroster has always had excellent performance. I am finding so far that leaks/heat sinks are the problem; the system has enough output, but it's lost at the connections (kind of like the electrical system :) ). It may also be the vacuum operated flap valve on the air plenum box.

I'll be posting some pictures soon as I start.

All advice/experience welcome

4. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Hey Russ,

That STCorsa AC piece looks quite efficient. I'm calling them tomorrow for info. but until then, can you tell me what they're quoting as price? BTW, your 3.2 glistens, as always :).

Cheers, Hank

5. NYCFERRARIS

NYCFERRARIS Formula 3

Mar 2, 2004
    Please let me know if anyone gets a hold of Stcorsa...I have been trying to reach them for these mondial vents but alas..the summer is now over...I would still be curious inthe price and if they (vents and stcorsa!) actually exist!

6. Shark49

Shark49 Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2005
    Boone, NC
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Because I dont have rear a/c vents in my 86 mondi. Suppose its because its a cabrio? If so, you would think my vents would blow more powerfully.....
    -Nate

7. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Hey NYCFERRARIS,

Fill out your profile and introduce yourself:) I love shots of Mondials in the city!! (Hint). OK, now about STCorsa - I got an email stating that they had six units left, at $300 each - satisfaction guaranteed. I sent a check as I believe Russ (snj5) did as well. I'll make a note to let you know the outcome. The product appears to be very nicely done. We'll see.

Cheers, hank

8. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #8 snj5, Oct 20, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yes - I have spoken with STCorsa on the phone and they politely replied to 2 emails sent from the website.. I dropped a check to them last week. I removed the plastic vent last weekend just to look at it - it pulls out easily and does look pretty cheap once you look at it closely.

Here is the Email:

The only downside I might can see would be that to most effectively use the footwell heater vents you might close the dash vents to redirect air pressure and flow. It does not look like these can be closed, but not sure. Well, most Mondial owners do not even know about the manual footwell vents much less use them. I don't. OBTW - found an air leak around where the footwell vent tube that was fixed by popping the piece back in place.

Shark - the cabs are different than the coupes, I believe. I really think the problem is not the condensor or fan as much as it is leaks in the cool air ducting system, especially the foam gaskets. Heck, your footwell vents may be opened stealing all the pressure and flow of cool air redirecting it to your feet.

Once my grill gets here, I am going to go through the system and post a couple of photos.

Hank - many thanks as always. I am the definitive Mondial 'End-user'. She gets only the best of everything.

best to all
    rt
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    This could be a good one, as the factory positioning of the center vent is not all that well thought out. The neutral angle change that the STCorsa vent provides, allowes air flow to be directed to a much more elevated level. Bottom line - - - try to cool your upper body using the air flow thru the normal factory vents - - no way - - it's cold knees and whatever you can make of that.

10. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip
    While on the subject of A/C, the heating in my 84 Mon gets hot and then cools down, switch it off and try 5 mins later and the same happens again, it will not stay hot. I dought the cold air is working propery either, but I think it needs gas or overhauling. Any ideas as to the problem with the hot system.

11. Ed P.

Ed P. Formula 3

Dec 28, 2002
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    No Longer
    Try this: Start off in 1st gear and put the accelerator to the floor, take it to 7000 rpms. Then do the same thing in 2nd , 3rd, 4th and 5th gears. You'll be doing about 150 mph... hold it there for about 10 minutes and then see how good your heat works... ;) Mine doesn't stay too hot for long either unless I'm driving it hard.

12. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip
    HEY, It works !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Russ regarding the center air vent that you are purchasing. Could this be modified and/or put back in upside down? I would go out in the garage before typing this, but my car is in storage.

Just a thought.

Dave

14. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Dave

A good idea - that sounds very do-able based on what little I have seen. It reminds me of a house rectangular floor vent that slips in. Mine also has a broken vane, so that is another motivating factor. I am also currently away from the car, but will try it next week and report back. Only small drawback I can think of off the cuff is that at the ends of travel of the direction vanes, the stock vent does throttle and cut back the flow a bit. The stock unit does work great straight ahead, though.
    great point - thanks!

rt

15. NYCFERRARIS

NYCFERRARIS Formula 3

Mar 2, 2004
    unreal..this is so obvious..I think Dave has got it...I have to get to the car this weekend and try it out....it should work perfectly assuming the vents can be properly installed upside down....(and I can't think why not).

16. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Hi guys,

I just did it. The STCorsa Mondial center vent is in - with a perfect fit. It's the first time I felt air on my face - - - and I even lowered the force.

I'm looking at the old one while banging on the iMac. The problem is, by turning it over, we would still not be able to direct the air flow any higher than our knees. Upside down, the upward control is limited. Right side up, trying to raise the air flow almost shuts it completely off - - which started all this. Sorry boys, the STdeallybop is still the right answer:)

17. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Hank and everyone
    Mine came today as well - wow - as Hank can attest this is one nice piece of kit. A brilliant piece of design and hefty constuction - perfectly crafted. Will install mine this weekend as well and try for a couple of photos.

18. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #18 snj5, Oct 28, 2005
  19. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #19 snj5, Nov 6, 2005
    The ST Corsa piece fit beautifully. Using A/C 1.5 " installation foam strips from the local hardware store (seemingly thicker and better grade than the stock), the air plenum was re-foamed. After the body of the vent was installed, black plastic tape was used to further seal the vent to the plenum per the ST Corsa installation instructions. A 1.25" PVC pipe endpiece was used with a foam weatherstrip to seal off the vent hose to the rear seat vents to prevent a sink effect. The front vents were then installed.
    Seems to be flowing more air subjectively, and can definitely feel it on my face for the first time ever with the improved up-aiming capability.
    While it was expensive, I do think that the flow and looks are improved.
    ymmv.
    best to all
    rt
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. MondialNeil

MondialNeil Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2007
    Bucks,UK
    Full Name:
    Neil S Perry
    Hi Guys, my american cousins

Has St Corsa got a website, I need one of these vents.

Neil.

21. MondialTCab

MondialTCab Formula 3

Sep 5, 2001
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    John Michael Gross
    ST Corsa as gone away...but the guy that built the vents and a few other specialized pieces is still around. His name is Steve Maxwell and he had 3-4 left when I spoke with him a few weeks ago. You can reach him at +1 858 586-0513.

Thanks,
    JMG

22. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    what vents? Dash?

23. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    yes - dash center vents

24. MondialTCab

MondialTCab Formula 3

Sep 5, 2001
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    John Michael Gross
    I just spoke with Steve as I am in San Diego right now...and can pick up the ONE he hs left if anyone wants me too...no charge and I can ship when I get back to Seatte. For my UK friend above Neil...I can ship acros with one of my guys back to London to save import if you want. He is also willing to make more if anyone wants them...

25. lusso64

lusso64 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2004
    Simi Valley
    Full Name:
    David
    me! me!

Please! I want it! I want it!

Where do I send the money? :) :)

EDIT: Just called Steve - I have one on it's way to me!