Touch Up Paint Techniques | FerrariChat

Touch Up Paint Techniques

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by pcord, Sep 23, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pcord

pcord Karting

Jul 28, 2005
    Near Phila, PA
    Full Name:
    Pete C
    Does anyone have a good technique for applying touch up paint? I have about 6 chips on my car and a bottle of the touch up paint with the brush in the lid. I've pretty much given up on the brush since it's too blunt and have moved to a toothpick for application. Once I did this my wife was convinced I was nuts and I couldn't argue with her. Anyway, the chips are still there and I don't think I want to go the wet sanding route since it involves removing adjacent paint. I end up getting a blob of paint which I invariably wipe off with a rag because it looks like my 2 year old did it. Anyone have any success with this kind of a thing and want to share what they did? Maybe some paint thinner to thin the paint? Don't know...

2. Dane

Dane Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2002
  3. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I used the Langka and it is good. Read about the way paint shops use it. Overfill the chip so that the Langka can take it down to be flush with the existing surface. Also, use a fine artists brush (the langka kit comes with one). Langka is around $25 and will probably last you about four lifetimes.
    BT

4. pcord

pcord Karting

Jul 28, 2005
    Near Phila, PA
    Full Name:
    Pete C
    Wow. Thanks for the quick replies. I ordered a kit and will give it a shot. Thanks again!

5. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    For anyone else thinking about it, if you use THIS LINK to go to their site and later make a purchase, they'll make a donation to the Ferrari Club.

6. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    OK--Sounds good--where can I get the touch up paint???

7. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Went to the website from the above link---just order the Complete paint touch up kit--$39.95---This is what I would need for chips???

8. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Either your dealer, or www.PaintScratch.com -- but many people find that one of the touch up bottles at your local Autozone or Advance Auto from a Nissan or Toyota match the basic Ferrari red on older cars amazingly well.

9. pcord

pcord Karting

Jul 28, 2005
    Near Phila, PA
    Full Name:
    Pete C
    FWIW, I got my paint from the local high end autobody shop that repairs these cars. They asked for the paint code on the deck lid. I know red fades over time, but doesn't that usually happen b/c of UV? A lot of these cars (mine included) are garage kept and not daily drivers. Just wondering how much the paint would fade. Anyway, that's what I did.

10. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Painscratch is the most recommended source on this site for the paint. Langka is a selective thinner that removes the excess 'blob' of paint that happen when you do a touch up. I can tell the difference in the paint color form the original to the paintscratch color code match. I don't know any other way to match the paint any better though.
    BT

11. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    Is the paint you guys are using different than mine?

I go to the auto paint shop and they mix me up some, but because it's base coat-clear coat it has no gloss after. I had a fantastic repair going with the Lanka process, but couldn't get a smooth clear over top. I got another touchup kit with clear in it (lacquer), used it, and the Lanka lotion couldn't get it off.

Comments?

Wes

12. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    For paint chip repair, it is MUCH easier to use a single-stage touch-up paint instead of a 2-stage (flat+clear), and provides much better results. If you've got a red car, you'll find an almost perfect match, even considering fading, by going to a place like Autozone or Advance Auto and picking up a Nissan or Toyota or Ford red. Take your car, or a painted piece with you (like a headlight cover off a 308/328 -- only 4 screws to get it off) and match the closest you can find. After Lanka, the chip repair final result will be virtually invisible unless you already know it's there and are looking for it.

13. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Alright--Just ordered the kit from Lanka and the paint from Paintscratch --I will do some before and after pics when I get it done!!!

14. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    Where I live those stores don't exist, but I've got the idea...thanks!

Wes

15. pcord

pcord Karting

Jul 28, 2005
    Near Phila, PA
    Full Name:
    Pete C
    OK, is it just me or is anyone a little worried about using Langka on their cars? I have an 89 328 and they say don't use it on older than '90 cars. I'm a wee bit concerned about the "solvent" taking off either layers of surrounding paint or clear coat. That would be beat... I'm waiting for the kit to come, but I'm using paint an autobody place gave me. I don't know whether it's 1 or 2 stage but I do know I do not want to do more harm than good to my paint. Anyone know if it will damage the finish on an 89?

16. mw575

mw575 F1 Rookie

May 30, 2001
    Lake Oswego,Or
    Full Name:
    Martin J Weiner,M.D.
    I overfill the chip with paint and use blue "painters" tape to envelop the chip thus protecting the surrounding paint from the langka then after dry a fine film of clear coat and if too much clear coat use the langka to smooth out then I polish area.Comes out really good.

17. Fred2

Fred2 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2005
    nj
    The touch up pint in the common repair bottles is a lacquer paint. Lanka is designed to soften lacquer paint.

"Real" paint, as you got from the auto body supply shop is an acrylic paint.
    The solvents that remove lacquer will not remove acrylic paint.

18. bst1

bst1 Formula 3

Aug 13, 2005
    MARYLAND
    Full Name:
    BARRY T
    I just tried Paint Scratch touch up and it works great....the applicator is not a brush but is like a wick....works better than a brush IMHO

19. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    Yea, I would be worried with an 89, bc there is no clear coat with the factory finish, is there? (none on my 91)

I have read of using G2 brake caliper paint, with an artists brush, supposedly, it hardens better than typical touch up paint.

20. atomstrange

atomstrange Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2005
    Lenexa KS
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    I buy the oem paint from local store and mix it myself. If its just a chip, get this 'use your finger', its what most pros I have talked to do. Just put on a couple light coats. You need the paint to build anyway. Paint should set you back $50. Cover the area with green painters tape $9 a roll and paper. If its a larger area, I fill it in and respray it with the devilbiss or sata gun. Just remember, most people wont' even notice it, only you will. As long as your happy with it, your golden.

21. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    I have an 87 328 (Black) that has been repainted and have had no problems. It's not so much a solvent that you're using, but a lotion really. It's very mild and I don't think you should worry.

Wes

22. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    It says on their site, will not harm "clearcoat" finish. FWIW

23. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    Has anyone tried this product? How does it compare with Langke? I just got a response from Langke saying that it doesn't matter what kind of paint you have (lacquer, acrylic, urethane), it will work.

24. rbf41000

rbf41000 Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2005
    Charlotte NC
    Full Name:
    Russell
    Just did some touch up last night and am about to go and try the langka now.
    Will post my thoughts in a couple of hours.
    By the way car is yellow and I got the touch up paint from paint scratch.

Russell