3m protective bra | FerrariChat

3m protective bra

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by vanny, Aug 12, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vanny

vanny Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    buffalo ny
    Full Name:
    van molenberg
    has anyone attemped to install a 3m plastic bra to the front of their ferrari.if so how difficult or would have a professional do it.

2. fanatic1

fanatic1 Guest

Nov 1, 2003
    columbus
    Full Name:
    philip
    this has been talked about forever. But basically, it is a great product, some say Lumar is better. But both are great. have a Pro do it. It's tough to DIY unless you have some serious experience. Most places will do a basic kit install for 350 - 450 dollars. Well worth it. IMHO

3. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I have a clear bra and definitely would not attempt installation myself. I would have a pro do it. IMO it's worth it.

4. AntonyR

AntonyR F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Antony
    We put it on the 360 coupe and the spyder. You cant notice it and it works great. Drove it to Montreal and help up great...I def say go for it.

Antony

5. coolblue

coolblue Karting

May 6, 2004
    I see my car as a MALE car. How can I turn it into a cross-dresser?

6. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Can you use this stuff on rotors? Mine seem to rust after washing.

7. Doug.

Doug. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Do a search, as this topic has been talked about all year.

Take it to a qualified installer to have it put on. Should cost around $350.

8. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    your car must be very reliable and never scream, *****, nor moan at you.

9. jamie140

jamie140 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 17, 2004
    GTA/Marco Island, fl
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    Make sure you get the 24 inch stuff. Use the leftover pieces to do the rotors.

10. Premier Protective Films

Premier Protective Films Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 20, 2004
    San Francisco Bay
  11. exoticalex

exoticalex Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2004
    Walnut Creek, Ca
    Full Name:
    Alex L
    Although it is possible to install yourself, if you have no experience, I would save yourself the trouble, and have a professional do it.

12. LexusEnthusiast

LexusEnthusiast Karting

Aug 14, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    If you drive your Ferrari a lot, and in areas where rocks and stone chips are not uncommon, the ClearBra is THE best mod you can do. It will work wonders for protecting the paint on the front of your car, and its completely UNNOTICEABLE. I saw pictures of a company wrapping 90% of a Carrera GT in their ClearBra.

And it's definetely not easy to do, go to a professional, or you'll kick yourself. :)

edit: I think it was Premier Mobile that did the installation on the Carrera GT. I saw pictures over on ClubLexus, where Premier is a Vendor.

13. rammsteinmatt

rammsteinmatt Formula Junior

Jul 26, 2005
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Matthew Shinavar
    well for the clear bra, you can take it to a pro and pay a little more. or you can buy the material try it, find you have basically no skill to make it look good on there, and take your car to a pro to have it done/finished. either way you'll end up at the pro's shop

14. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    Great stuff... I've had it installed on a 911, 355 and Diablo.

The key is:
    1. The product
    2. The installation.

In this month's Cavallino mag you'll see an ad for "Supershield"..Pepe, the owner did all my cars and I think he may have a franchise in NY.

The product - Don't be fooled by imitation - 3M makes the best. Also the tape comes in different thickness. You want to use the heavier stuff for your lamps, turn signals, fog lights and the lighter material on the painted surface (your installer will explain).

Much has changed recently, the 355 was done 2-3 years ago and the Diablo this year. 3M just launched a new tape that is virtually invisible and I have it on the Diablo.

Installation - The installer (a good one) will have the tape pre-cut with a laser machine from a blue print from the factory. Similar to vinyl letter graphic machines. The 2nd thing about installation is that it takes a lot of pull, a mean a lot to get it on right without bubbles. Don't think it's like window tint...you really have to yank this stuff.

Finally, an added benefit to tape is if you bottom out and get some minor hairline fractures in the spoiler, the tape "holds together" the minor cracking and makes it less noticable.

Only drawback - If you do true concours (IAPF standards) it's a 1/2 point deduction.

15. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    My cars don't get driven alot but the past 01 360, 01 Diablo and 04 Murcielago all have the product with professional installation. The Diablo and Murcielago have the 12-14 piece installation. You can simply hose off the bug hits. I would not have a sports car without it after living with it since 2002.

16. Premier Protective Films

BANNED

Dec 20, 2004
    San Francisco Bay
    #16 Premier Protective Films, Aug 16, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    As someone already pointed out, installation is the key ingredient in how paint protection film looks once installed. The best film will be useless in the hands of someone who doesn't know how to install it properly. Here are some pics of poorly installed film on F-cars.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Premier Protective Films

BANNED

Dec 20, 2004
    San Francisco Bay
    #17 Premier Protective Films, Aug 16, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    On F-cars and other exotics, we only provide custom installations. Although, pre-cut kits are available, we prefer not to use it. Pre-cut or computer cut patterns were designed for the installers in mind. In the end, the film is more visible due to more seams showing. When installing ppf via custom, we could tuck the edges in and create as seamless an installation as possible.

We specialize in custom apps for any application and panels. All of these vehicles below have film custom installed on entire hoods, panels, and front bumper.

18. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    Nice post Sam -

Yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about when it comes to a "bad" install.

BTW - I have also seen them take a large sheet and wrap the entire section, then tuck the ends under as you described. Saw it on an Enzo and came out very clean.

Thanks for the pix.

19. klepoy

klepoy Rookie

Jul 28, 2005
    Dublin, CA
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    Sam,

Thanks for the info! I'm looking forward to the install tomorrow. :)

Cliff

20. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Sam - is that 36" film? If so, where did you obtain the roll? And I take it, for the custom setup, you aren't plotting it.

21. Premier Protective Films

BANNED

Dec 20, 2004
    San Francisco Bay
    Schatten, we have rolls up to 60"s now. We've been using 48"s for the past two yrs and now have a film company produce 60"s and 72"s if we need. Approximately half of our clients choose to go w/ custom apps....we've been using fewer pre-cut kits over the years because applying it custom creates more of a seamless look.

22. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Very nice. I might have to hit you up for a source or to source it from you in the future.

23. VicG

VicG Karting

Feb 5, 2005
    Fairfax County, VA
    Full Name:
    Vic
    I don't know what Sam charges, but the well known installers in the DC area are asking $1100 for a "custom" install. Ferrari of Washington charges $1800 to contract it out to a local shop--that charges $1100 if you go to them directly.

I haven't come across anyone who will do a 550 for anywhere near $350.00.

24. LexusEnthusiast

LexusEnthusiast Karting

Aug 14, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    No way could you get a custom job done for ANY car, doesn't matter that it's a Ferrari, for $350-400. He was saying that for a basic pre-cut kit, it might be that much for an install, which I still see as on the lesser side for a quality job.

25. NY550

NY550 Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2005
    Long Island
    dude i sweart the clearBra works wonders because my cousin has one on his g35 and it works great. he does a lot of highway driving were a lot of stone and gravel fly around and he doesnt even have a chip yet.