The new Vette has arrived !! | FerrariChat

The new Vette has arrived !!

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by PerryJ, Jul 27, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    #1 PerryJ, Jul 27, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here are some pics of the arrival of the Vette, and after one afternoon of driving I gotta tell you this things rocks !! I would not trade it for 10 308's, the power blows me away !! I was coming around a curve in downtown and hit the accelerator, (not even to the floor) and the next thing I know I'm SIDEWAYS !!

If you have never driven a C5 or C6 I would HIGHLY recommend that you find a friend with one and go for a drive, you won't regret it !!

John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Man that is one hot car. Congrats on your new car.

3. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    #3 zsnnf, Jul 27, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    It's actually a 2002 but it only has 15,000 miles, not one scratch or rock chip (yet).

I'm waiting for the 2006 C6's, (I didn't want an 2005 since it was the first year of production ;) )

NICE F40 !!

5. ^@#&

^@#& F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Feb 27, 2005
    wow, nice vettes both of you, and amazing F40

6. 550Maranello575

550Maranello575 Formula 3

Oct 20, 2004
    Everett WA
    Full Name:
    Andrew W
    I rode in a Vette exactly like that one. Same year and everything. Even though its not a Z06 its still really fast.

7. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    First things first! Time to check out the various exhaust options. I had the B&B Tri-flo PRT exhaust on my C5, but the Corsa exhaust is also popular.

Enjoy her! And have fun fiddling with the little display on the dash that gives you all sorts of digital info! :)

8. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

My favourite track car (other than a proper race car)! Well done. Enjoy!

9. Sheldon

Sheldon Formula 3

Apr 18, 2005
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Sheldon
  10. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    It would appear so, the cast majority of the C5s were auto with, if I remember correctly, a 2.73 gearing.

11. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    Yes auto, most vette are, first sports car I have ever had with auto and I'm loving it, just punch the gas and GO !!

My has the Z-51 package and is faster top end than a Z-06 !

12. kephren

kephren Karting

Jun 27, 2004
    the front range
    nice C5, i love white vettes. but i gotta disagree with your last statement. no way is an ls1 stronger up top than an ls6.

here's a graph of the original 385HP LS6 vs LS1.
    [​IMG]
    the 405HP LS6 is even a more dramatic difference.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

not to mention a Z06 is over 100lbs lighter than a coupe. trust me, i've had an ls1 in an 02 camaro SS and also owned 2 Z06s (an 03 and an 04 Z16) and there is NO comparing the two engins. an LS1 pulls hard, but an LS6 pulls so violently it feels like its gonna rip the front off the car. i've destroyed every coupe and vert (c5 AND c6) i've ever ran against and i love seeing the look on faces of the rice drivers after showing them my taillights and then hearing them say 'but i smoke vettes all the time!WTF?!?'.... yea, i tell them, but there is a BIG difference between a regular vette and a Z06. be careful!

drop by z06vette.com or corvetteforum.com there are some good guys on there and good info to be found.

btw, i lived in jasper for a time. beautiful place around the lake. good racing there too.

cheers

13. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Hey, I recognize that house.

14. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    The Z06 have shorter rear windows, are less aerodynamic, than the standard C5 coupe, even though the Z06 has more hp than standard C5’s, they have a lower top speed than manual Z51 C5 coupes. This is due to both aerodynamics and gearing. All C5’s top out at redline in 5th gear, so a taller 5th gear, or much shorter 6th gear, or taller redline is required to go faster. All else being equal, a Z51 coupe will still go faster than a Z06.

15. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Didnt you used to drive one that topped out above 225mph?

Nice vette. They certainly are head and shoulders above a 308 in performance and reliability. My buddy was telling me about a buy he heard about currently has over 300,000 miles (i forgot the exact number, but its high) on his? Try that in a ferrari. Some people say to stay away from high milage LS1's, but i think they will last forever. Ive been seeing some C6's around but I still think the C5 looks better. If they could only put the new interior in the older car...

16. kephren

kephren Karting

Jun 27, 2004
    the front range
    ok, after doing some research it looks like most agree that while a Z06 will max out at 173MPH or so a coupe can hit near 180.

i might be reading your post the wrong way, but that sounds like you're expecting to go Z hunting... speaking from experience, i'd watch out who you pick on on the interstate because i can guarantee you that a Z06 will be multiple buslengths ahead of any C5, Z51 or otherwise, before airo starts to catch up with it. (Z51 btw, is just a suspension upgrade and no power difference from a base coupe)

just like a mosler photon (which runs an LS6 btw) has a airo limited top speed of 165, i wouldn't run one "top end" as you said, because he'd be in another zipcode by the time i surpassed his terminal velocity.

in both cases the car with the higher top speed is in no way "faster top end".

17. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I've never been a big corvette fan that is up until the C-5, IMO it is a beautiful design. I prefer it over the C-6 for styling altho I've never driven a C-5 but have driven a C-6 so I can't compare the performance of the 2 but the numbers don't seem to be that far off.
    John if you haven't already check out www.corvette forum there are some issues with the C-5 that you will want to know about like the column lock problem its all stuff that can be corrected you just need to know what the fix's are. Enjoy your car!

18. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    yeah I have been on there a little, colum lock was a couple of years prior to my car.

19. Ferrari Boy

Ferrari Boy Formula 3

Oct 25, 2003
    Long Beach CA
    Full Name:
    David Couch
    227 I believe. I've seen some links to the articles, sure he has them. Quite an achievment rick.